This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 13th, 2000, 05:29 AM

Corporal

wingte is on a distinguished road
Default Ministers

Ok,, I am nearly out of turns on the second demo and maybe I am just overly anxious but,, it appears to me that in order to get the POP Minister to work I am having to continuously go click on the "Turn Individual Ministers ON" button.

Also,, where are the help files that explain the functions of the various ministers??

------------------
Wingte
Old August 18th, 2000, 12:06 PM

Private

chagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ministers

As a newbie......Where are the help files....Period.?

The differences between SE3, and SE4, appear quite large, although it's been some time since I played SE3.
Old September 4th, 2000, 06:56 PM

Corporal

Will the Gold Version have settings that will apply to Colony ships? Right now it is possible to give pretty explicit instructions to attack and defensive ships and even some direction to other classes of ships regarding combat,, but,, there doesn't seem to be any control over which planets will be colonized first. There should be at least a minimal set of instructions for the colonization minister,, first special planets ,, 2nd breathable atmosphere,, 3rd largest,, etc..

Right now it appears to colonize the riches mining,, then radioactive then organic irregardless of size or atmosphere. A planet with a limit of 1 facility with a 120% mining will be colonized before a breathable atmosphere/25 facility planet with a 90% mining dispite the fact that the second planet has a far larger total value.

------------------
Wingte
Old September 5th, 2000, 03:27 AM

Corporal

Hmnnn,, After several hours more observation,, it appears that the Colonization Minister is primarily biased toward colonizing the highest mining value planet in newly discovered systems with whatever colonizer is available on the next turn after the system is discovered.

This stinks.. If it is to be biased to always go for the new system,, then the order should be,, 1st Breathable Atmosphere,, 2nd highest facility count, 3rd highest mining percentage.

Really do hope this become player definable..

------------------
Wingte
Old September 6th, 2000, 03:37 PM

Corporal

In Another thread it was suggested to use a small ship as a Population Transport and I said I didn't think it would work. I have now tested a frigate with the TYPE population transport and it doesn't work.

------------------
Wingte
Old September 6th, 2000, 07:56 PM

Private

Fionn is on a distinguished road

Hmm, bug or feature, I wonder? If the Ministers aren't keying in on Type, why on Earth (or Betelguese or Regulus or . . . ) not? It seems just as simple a way to program the AI behavior as basing behavior on hull class, and it allows more flexibility in ship design.

If it hasn't been changed in the new demo or the gold release, maybe it'll get tweaked in an update?

I've barely started playing with the Ministers as of yet. I did find turning on a couple of them reduced the grunt work, but I couldn't seem to get another to work at all. Has there been any update on when a manual might become available? I believe the MM site says they plan to post at least a rough draft of one at some point soon.