.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 25th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road
Default Making a Map Database?

Folks,
Previously I complained about/suggested a different format for downloading custom maps. A lot of people make cool maps, but they quickly get lost or move off the front screen. The level of feedback is suboptimal, etc. I talked about this some in a previous (hijcaekd thread):

http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...=560354&Forum=,All_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Main=5601 94&Search=true&where=&Name=9938&daterange=&newerva l=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post5 60354

I would love to try to help fix this (what I see as a) problem. Ideally I would love to create a database where:

1. mapmakers could upload a map, also a preview, and a summary.
2. users could leave comments and rate the map based on several categories ideally (overall, balance, art, uniqueness, fun, etc.)
3. people could search based on rating.
4. downloads and comments would be tracked.

Really I want one hub where people can go to download and upload maps. I hope that if this is created we can get more feedback, etc. I have a good amount of time THIS WEEK to work on this project, but I have very little skill. Is there anyone who could help me make this happen? I reckon we'd either need to host it here somehow, or host it on a remote website and sticky a thread at the top of the maps forum (maybe also the normal forums... I think a lot of people don't venture into the maps/mods forums who would download maps, but they dont want to read about making maps).
I reckon I'd also need someone who knew how to do coding.

Basically, I am pretty much useless, but offer my services as a tester and pesterer to try to make this happen. I also promise I'll check out maps and leave comments, etc if we can make this happen.

If this already exists, in a LIVE version, for dom3 maps, let me know -- Either I'm an idiot, or it needs to be publicized much better.

Z
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Making a Map Database?

yeah I mmust say my great map, which in any case is pretty heavily modded etc etc.. is getting lost quite easily and feedback except from -2-3 pplz is below sub-optimal.

I do think it's really unfair and all and I think everyone in this forum NOT playing my map should get whipped.

So maybe your idea would prevent a few pplz from getting whipped.

On the other hand isn't there a thread stickied on the top of the forum where you can put your map in?
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Sergeant

there is, and thats an awesome thread... but it doesnt really allow for extensive feedback, searching by rating, etc.
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Lieutenant General

OW like that.. no not really.. well your idea sounds good.. but I fear that any effort in it (I can't help you btw) might be wasted a bit for the same reasons we get little feedback in the forum (whatever those might be)
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

This sounds rather hard for just fans to create. The website itself probably won't take too long for someone experienced in php, but how are you going to come up with the GBs of hosting space and (possibly) TBs of bandwidth the website will require if it will become big?
EDITMaps are 1-100 MBs big, so 20 maps might take 1GB of space. If each map will be downloaded 100 times thats 100GBs of bandwidth [not in one month of course])
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Sergeant

well, i mean, theoretically the forum here does all of that. so i dont know if it would be possible to do this as part of shrapnelcommunity or what
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Actually, it might be possible by leeching onto someone elses hosting and bandwidth.
Maybe if you put the maps on something like yousendit.com and just post links on your fanmade website, you could get around the problems of hosting and bandwidth.
Hmmm, and if you can write some sort of script that will download each map once every six days to make sure it doesn't get removed from their site.
Hmmm.

Oh well, don't let me stop you
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Sergeant

Well, you can't stop me until I get started I have no relevant skills, just a desire, so I'm really pulling at others peoples' ideas and skills
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:37 PM

Lieutenant General

Well.. all maps usually are already attached here.. you'd just have to use those links then?

No skills here either.. I just like making maps noone is interested in it seems.

And I can't figure out why everyone is so interested in new nations mods (they seem popular) when there are already about 80 nations... only for the warhammer map I'd like some modded nations.. for the rest the game provides enough for me... but that is a bit off topic..

GOOOO Zylithan... or whomever you get to do your dirty work
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Sergeant

That's a good point... if the website just points to the downloads here, I wouldn't need hosting on the remote site.