.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 5th, 2015, 12:17 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Request for help with campaign I'm building

When I have the time/inclination I've been working on a campaign featuring a battalion size Marine Expeditionary Unit (the "standard" independent USMC fast reaction force stationed aboard ships worldwide). I'd initially intended it to be an Iraqi civil war campaign, but the recent events in the area involving ISIS (or ISIL or DAESH or IS) have caused me to reconsider.

Given that ISIS has basically declared war on the entire world I think this could lead to something akin to the coalition of Austria-Hungary, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, United Kingdom, and the United States that opposed the Boxers in China between 1899 and 1901.

The basic premise would be that the MEU has been deployed to Baghdad to safeguard the various international interests, then ISIS stages a coup that has a lot more popular support then anyone expected. The various national embassy's, with their guard detachments, all band together to fight their way to the coast (or Saudi Arabia) since while seizing an airfield would be doable overflying the area to get in and out of it would be problematic.

So sort of a modern Chosin Reservoir type campaign.

What I could really use is some idea what sort of forces the various international communities would deploy to protect their embassy in potentially hostile nation. And which nations would be likely to evacuate all but a skeleton staff in the face of potential uprisings.
Due to the 500 unit limit in campaigns I'd need to limit each security force to a less then company sized formation.

Suggestions/help from those of you that live in various parts of the world would be appreciated.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:24 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Request for help with campaign I'm building

I believe many Embassies employ "private" security firms (usually employing ex-service people).
Several recent embassy-related events, including the death of a security officer in Kabul in November, have been linked to the company G4S (was Group 4 Securicor), the world's largest security company.

Guess this means that any embassy security detail, in game terms, would be small fire teams of private "security operatives".

LOL sorry that probably didnt help.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old March 5th, 2015, 08:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I seem to recall this exact same question about embassy security has already been asked once before on this forum............. just wing it I wouldn't trust ANY info you could find anyway, only an idiot would tell potential attackers their security details and there is no way there would be one size fits all security....... you don't need the same level in Oslo as you do in Kabul........ it's a game, take a guess and go with it
Old March 5th, 2015, 04:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I seem to recall this exact same question about embassy security has already been asked once before on this forum............. just wing it I wouldn't trust ANY info you could find anyway, only an idiot would tell potential attackers their security details and there is no way there would be one size fits all security....... you don't need the same level in Oslo as you do in Kabul........ it's a game, take a guess and go with it
Yep, I did ask this once before.
But I plan to expand the international coalition further then I had initially, so wanted to see if anyone had any input.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Well.. Kevin Vickers is going to be the Canadian ambassador to Ireland so figure security there is covered........he's a "hands on" kind of guy ..........
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:21 PM

Lieutenant General

So who would you suggest as Canadian ambassador to Iraq?
Maybe Chief Warrant Officer Brissette (from CANSOFCOM), or someone useless currently in Parliament?

Old March 15th, 2015, 10:25 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

I'd suggest for most of the major powers; about a platoon size element.

Even if they employ contract security like G4S; if things look bad; their equivalent of Delta or whatnot can be flown over in a few hours to help extract the Ambassador and his staff.

The US is pretty unusual in that we are essentially "open" about this kind of stuff -- ref. US Marine Security Guards are well known and all.
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Thinking more squad sized.
The whole idea is a sudden uprising so there's was no time to reinforce.

Old March 19th, 2015, 07:57 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: Request for help with campaign I'm building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Thinking more squad sized.
The whole idea is a sudden uprising so there's was no time to reinforce.
Interesting... you may want to consider Ukraine, but keeping it in Iraq, today, you may want to consider Iran and Shia militias as actors as well. Now to troop strength, a normal embassy guard detail is from what 5 guys. However, in certain embassy like Baghdad, Cairo, Yemen, and others, you may find more details assigned. But, consider a FAST platoon responding to augment the security detail(s).

And, I think the airport exit route would be more viable and probable than a 350km trek to Basra south and to the gulf onward.

Looking forward to play.

----------
Old March 19th, 2015, 11:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Yeah I plan to have an extremely international flavor to this on all sides. After all it's not too often these folks get the chance to actually wipe out a US formation and the diplomatic personel of their allies!

Oh I'd agree on the airport ... IF ISIS hadn't seized control of the local SAM sites! Sure an airstrike could eventually be put together to neutralize them ... but can the Marines and diplomatic personel hold out that long against say 10-25% of the population of Bagdad? Far better to get away from the city first then evacuate.