.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:22 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road
Default SCENARIO: The Killing Grounds

I've taken this scenario about as far as I can so I've decided to post it. It's a WWIII WARSAW Pact V. NATO engagement in the summer of 1984, based on the books "The Red Effect", "The Black Effect" and "The Blue Effect" by Harvey Black.

This scenario is not in chronological order (for the books or for what I've been working on). I have four more that I have not reached a sense of parity with, so I'm posting this one first simply because this one is a simple assault/defend scenario and the others are delaying actions or involve chemical munitions (which I'm having problems adjusting to the game format).

This particular scenario is from the "Black Effect" and occurs in the third day of the conflict. The British 22nd Armoured Brigade occupies positions along the River Leine near Rossing. Delta Squadron of the 14/20th Royal Hussars is tasked to defend this line against elements of the 63rd Guards Tank Regiment and the 248th Guards MRR. As stated in the scenario description, that's 16 British MBT's against three battalions of Soviet MBT's.

I had to depart from the book in using Chieftain 10 MBT's rather than Challenger MBT's as in the novel. The play balance was too skewed to the British side with the Challengers due to the terrain. Also, I have included a platoon of British Mechanized Infantry, and SAM protection which is not detailed in the book. Again, a play balance decision.

I've limited the scenario to 26 turns. The mission for the Hussars in the book was to hit the attacking units, and then they fell back across the Leine. Due to the width restrictions of the game map, shortening the game (which in all my playtesting really isn't a factor)compensates for striking the attackers and conserving the defending forces in game results.

The map in the scenario was developed using the SPMBT Map Tool:

http://www.venhola.com/maps/

and backdating as best I could to 1984 using Soviet era military maps.

Since I've been jumping between my desktop and laptop, I've hopefully uploaded the final work files. If anyone has problems or sees blatant errors let me know and I'll check the files and resend them.

I have leave coming up in a few weeks and hope to get at least another two scenarios up to my liking to post.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: zip spscn615.zip (204.0 KB, 369 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old June 24th, 2017, 04:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SCENARIO: The Killing Grounds

Btw, I suppose that Rossing is in Germany?
Old June 24th, 2017, 07:28 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhero View Post
Btw, I suppose that Rossing is in Germany?
My apologies. Yes it is, in Lower Saxony south of Hanover. It's listed correctly in the scenario description of the game file but I omitted that in the post.

Tom
Old September 30th, 2017, 10:46 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: SCENARIO: The Killing Grounds

A few observations and suggestions.

Many Brits are in positions with limited visibility making a "kill box" impossible.

At least one VF not placed on map

Smoke fires are late often behind advance of Russian armor.

Mine clear tanks appear after MBTs on the Russian side.

Russian scout co attacked in open field without follow up forces. The scouts were attacking not scouting.

Insufficient ATGMs given the mission

Insufficient FA guns lacking range to perform counter battery fires and without lethality to slow or fix Russian armor.

I would consider making the defense in depth. At least three lines of defence entrenched in fighting positions with ATGM teams, vehicle mounted ATGMs, then tanks and inf-ATMs.

Additionally, mines ought to be laid to deny territory so as to drive Russians into "kill zones."

Please consider placing VF concentrated within one locality rather than scatterd over the map, or at least place highest value of VFs behind the defensive line.

I hope not to sound as a sour grape, just because I got "my hat handed to me," however, I offer these suggestions because you've authored many very good scenarios.

Old October 1st, 2017, 01:19 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
A few observations and suggestions.

I hope not to sound as a sour grape, just because I got "my hat handed to me," however, I offer these suggestions because you've authored many very good scenarios.
No sour grapes at all mate! I agree with your suggestions. This scenario was based on the engagement in the series of books The Black Effect, etc. My first observations of the book's description were similar to yours in how the British forces were deployed in what was an impossible mission. But, I'm sure it would have been much the same if the war would have gone hot.

My real world has gone from busy to frantic of late and it's taking away my leisure time with the game (and royally pi***ng me off in the process). But I'll put some thought into a more play balanced effort.

I truly appreciate the feedback!

Cheers.

Tom
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I corrected the V hex error but nothing else

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; November 16th, 2017 at 04:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old November 17th, 2017, 10:12 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I corrected the V hex error but nothing else
Thanks for doing that. I've been buried with work since August but hopefully will have leave time coming up in December. This will be one of my top projects to rework.

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old November 17th, 2017, 06:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

If you do update it is scen 362 now

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: