.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old September 4th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Dom3minions.com MAPs

OK here is a dirty version of TINY maps.
Here is the directory they got put into
http://game.dom3minions.com/maps/T/

the index of all of them is
http://game.dom3minions.com/maps/T/_index.jpg

For now you have to count and guess to find the right file.
So the second in on the second row would by tiny07 so there is a tiny07.jpg (for viewing only), a tiny07.tga and tiny07.map files, and a tiny07.zip which has both the tga and map together for download.

Eventually I will make an html page like this one
http://www.dom2minions.com/~dominion...humbnails.html
where you can click a map to see the bigger version then click again to download the zip. But Im not too good at making webpages so that takes me quite awhile. I can whip out something to fill the directory but it takes much longer to get it webbed.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: Dom3minions.com MAPs

Same thing for the Large maps that were requested.
They are right now being put into
http://game.dom3minions.com/maps/L/

http://game.dom3minions.com/maps/L/_index.jpg
should be a thumbnail map of all of them when they are done

http://www.dom2minions.com/~dominion...humbnails.html
is an idea of what it will be like eventually for usefulness
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Once you figure out the sloppy methods you can also raid
http://game.dom3minions.com/maps/pipeline/
for the corridor challenge map idea

Gandalf Parker
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

and also
http://game.dom3minions.com/maps/modules/
which didnt really pan out. I was hoping that creating pieces of maps would let you select, paste together, and edit. If you think its useful then lets chat. But they should be playable as they are.

The idea was that if I stacked a land, water, land then it would be a nice contest map. And a snow, temperate, snow might make a world view.

Stacking them would make it easier to renumber without losing the terrain and neighbor info. I think I kept them at an even number of provinces (100? 200?). But editing the image to smooth the transitions turned out to me more than I felt like doing. My next hope is a "seed" function where I can create the same map with different variables and cut-n-paste pieces of them into a whole.

Gandalf Parker
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

You have been busy Gandalf!
Downloaded a large map (large08) and noted that the image size is scaled down (to 640x480) and the image quality is severely degradated compared to the one you uploaded previously. Was this intentional to conserve space on your server?
Map Forge - Map editor
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

No I tend to try and size the maps appropriate to the number of provinces. It wouldnt make much sense to have 1500 provinces on 200x200, nor having 50 provinces on 2000x2000

What would you like it at?
Since its scripted I can easily change the two numbers and kick it off again? Let me know what you want. If it gets too specific I will just put yours in a seperate directory for you. I used to do that for a number of Dom2 map developers.
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:03 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Judging by existing D2 maps, and noting that Survival provinces are a little tight (icons overlapping in game sometimes), I did some quick guestimations. Using a fair province size of 100x100 pixels, a reasonable size for a 255 province map would be about 1600x1600. Since water provinces tend to be slightly larger and you can have some pretty small land provinces this can vary, but it should be ballpark.

For comparison, the 283 prov version of Faerun is 3210x2130 (6,837,300 pixels!), which is an estimated 2614x2614, with province size averaging to about 155x155 pixels.

Somebody that is better in math (and not as tired as I am right now ) could probably come up with a formula to account for rectangular map sizes.

Is Dom3 giving you as much control over the generated maps as it appears to be? Or are the changes in map size occuring outside the game via your scripting? I'm guessing that you have a script converting the images from rgb to tga?

Quote:
Let me know what you want. If it gets too specific I will just put yours in a seperate directory for you. I used to do that for a number of Dom2 map developers.
You spoil us Gandalf!
Map Forge - Map editor
Old September 5th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

--makemap XXX Generate a random map with filename XXX and exit
--riverpart X 100 = normal amount of rivers, 0=no rivers
--seapart X Percent of map that is below water level (default=30)
--mountpart X Percent of map that is mountains (default=20)
--forestpart X Percent of lands that are forests (default=20)
--farmpart X Percent of lands that are farm lands (default=15)
--wastepart X Percent of lands that are wastes (default=10)
--swamppart X Percent of lands that are swamps (default=10)
--mapaa Enable antialiasing for random maps
--mapsize W H Set width and height of random map (default=1600 1200)
--mapprov X Set number of provinces (default=150)
--passmount Don't use impassable mountains on random maps
--mapgcol RGBA Ground color 0-255 (default=170 146 116 255)
--mapscol RGBA Sea color 0-255 (default=54 54 130 255)
--mapbcol RGBA Ground border color 0-255 (x4)
--mapsbcol RGBA Sea border color 0-255 (x4)
--mapnoise X Ground color noise 0-255 (default 15)
--borderwidth X Border width 0-500 (default 100)

Outside of this... I can convert formats, alter colors, provide thumbnails, provide a collage of all the thumbnails, offer a variety of compressions, and auto-email.

I can also program changes to the .map file such as adding AIs with alliances, giving the AIs special gods or bonuses, adding monters, inserting special designed provinces, provinding reasonable names to provinces (forest names, ocean names, etc) and doing Dom3 to Dom2 conversions altho I still have to find out if the new terrain numbers hurt Dom2.

There are some DomMap Random Generator features that I miss. That arent in the Dom3 map generator. But I suspect that no one will want to use those maps and would prefer these. Those might still be useful as templates though.

Gandalf Parker
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Private

Bomshanka is on a distinguished road

Hey Gandalf - Outstanding collection of maps on your site!

I've downloaded some and tried to get them to work with Dom 2 - Is that possible or do i have to get Dom 3 to actually play on these maps? Ive tried to replace the .rgb files with the .tga but the game exits at the end of game creation with the something went wrong error message? Is there something in the .map file i have to change except for .rgb -> .tga?

Sincerely Bomshanka
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:29 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

if you use the random map that don't add random units into independent provinces, it should work with few changes. The maps that add random units can also add random units that only exist in Dom3, so they probably won't work.

There might be a new terrain or two (deep sea, cave). Those might cause problems. Caves aren't randomly generated AFAIK, and it wouldn't probably be too hard to make a script to replace deep sea with normal sea.

Other than that, check out that #domversion isn't too high. You can probably remove it altogether.