.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old January 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Private

Bomshanka is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dom3minions.com MAPs

Thank you very much!

I'll try and play around with it for a bit - you dont happen to know the terrain code for sea vs. deep sea or maybe know a place or document where i cant find the relevant info?

And dom-version for dom 2 would be 2.16 for the newest patch version right?

But again - Many thanks for the reply - the maps are quite much nicer graphically than the original Dom 2 random maps so i'd rather not miss out if i can help it

Edit: Changing version number made it create game! No idea yet if the deep sea code will create problems - Another problem occured though - I've started a game on a ~1500 province map but Dom 2 appears to only support as much as 500 provinces... - Is there any known way to circumvent this or do I just have to "content" with the 500 limit ( Ive played Faerun Large a number of times so I know how much that is )

\Bomshanka
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I dont remember ever being able to get past 500 on Dom2 (and if anyone tried it would be me)
But that was a coupld of years ago now. I just take it for granted that I tired really really hard to exceed the suggested limits the same way I do now with Dom3.

I should probably get off my tail and add a daily run of 500 province Dom3 generated maps that are auto converted to Dom2 specs. It would probably be my last change to the Dom2Minions.com site.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
you dont happen to know the terrain code for sea vs. deep sea or maybe know a place or document where i cant find the relevant info?
Old Dom2 Terrain BitMath:
"small" 1
"large" 2
"sea" 4
"somewater" 8
"mountain" 16
"swamp" 32
"waste" 64
"forest" 128
"farm" 256
"nostart" 512
"manysites" 1024

New Dom3 Terrain BitMath from Gandalf:
"small" 1
"large" 2
"sea" 4
"somewater" 8
"mountain" 16
"swamp" 32
"waste" 64
"forest" 128
"farm" 256
"nostart" 512
"manysites" 1024
"deep" 2048
"cave" 4096
"firesite" 8192
"airsite" 16384
"watersite" 32768
"earthsite" 65536
"astralsite" 131072
"deathsite" 262144
"naturesite" 524288
"bloodsite" 1048576
"priestsite" 2097152
"edgemount" 4194304

When converting from Dom3 to Dom2, the bitmath is the same except when you run into provinces with a terrain value of 2048 or greater. To turn mountain edges (4194304) to mountains (16), just subtract 4194304 from the current Dom3 terrain value and it should work fine. Simply changing it to 16 would probably work on a pure random generated map, but you might lose any "small" or "large" province tags, and any user modifications means that other terrain types can get mixed in as well.

If Gandalf adds his auto-converted map generation to his site it will save you a lot of trouble!

Hope this helps.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Private

Bomshanka is on a distinguished road

Wow guys - thanks alot!

It would be really nice with a source of converted maps - would be really appreciated!
But until then, now ive atleast got a chance to actually change it myself

Nice input - deeply appreciated!

Cheers - Bomshanka
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Water nations and game maps are a big pain to try and get right. As a person who makes and selects maps continually Im up against this all the time. The games logic does actually try to consider the following:
A) Nations should not be too close to each other.
B) Nations should not start out with too few neighbor provinces.
C) Land nations should not have water neighbor provinces.
D) Water nations should not have land neighbor provinces.
E) Many nations have special terrain or theme requirements (water, land, mountains, swamp, wasteland, coastal).
F) No land nation should be placed in the center of a large area of one particular terrain so that it doesnt have quick access to multiple terrain benefits in the capital.
G) And absolutely DO NOT take too much time trying to achieve A thru F

It might seem as though you have never seen that happen. And unless you play on large maps thats understandable. Some maps make it hard, some make it impossible. A map with enough provinces to allow the game to get completely thru its choice selection process without it giving up tends to be a map too large for most peoples idea of a good game. There is definitely an advantage to maps where a human has done some work on setting provinces as start, no-start, or spec-start.

And how much water is enough? If I want 10 players at 10 provs each before mandatory war, then 100 prov map MIGHT be able to place everyone well. But what if 3 water nations join? 30 water? If there is one small ocean then the D rules pushes them to the middle and too close to each other. And what if only 1 water nation joins? 1 nation with 30 provs to the land nations 10? Cries of unfair!

My favorite maps, which rarely cause me problems, are like these.
http://www.dom3minions.com/RandomMap...rs/keepers.htm
But few people want to play games that big. Maybe some of these..
http://www.dom3minions.com/RandomMaps/Keepers/index.htm
but again the smaller you get, or smaller provs-to-player ratio, the less likely that everyone will be happy with the games placement of capitals unless someone hand-massages the map.

Interesting point (which I just realized myself):
When playing a solo game, Dom3 has you select the map first then the nations. But in server mode, it waits for the people to select their nations and then has you select the map. Maybe Johan was hinting.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Another interesting note for those who are curious. Altho it might not seem that way, the game DOES try to avoid duplicate province names when selecting them for a map. On each province, it tries 25 times to find a non-dupe name before giving up. On a really large map its rather surprising how fast its able to do that. But obivously when the games map limits were increased, the file for prov names was not. This is again another place where the best results involve hand massaging it, or using a 3rd party program to put names on every province.