.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 7th, 2003, 06:37 PM

BANNED USER

Mortifer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tell us about yourself!

WOW! Gandalf will be 50 years old soon? Nice!

I always tought that my father is a weirdo, because he is playing with some simulation games and he is 48, but it seems that I was wrong!
Old October 7th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Gandalf could be my dad!

Gandalf, you are very welcome here.
We need someone to carry the legacy of usenet Groups here!

I migth soon lose my position of youngest player to register here if ZT from Dom X Boards finds his way here...

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 7th, 2003, 07:19 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerfix:

I migth soon lose my position of youngest player to register here if ZT from Dom X Boards finds his way here...
You have lost it already. My bro is registered, but he hadnt made a post yet.
He is 10 years old!
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:45 AM

Corporal

Humer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Truper:
Gandalf,

Possibly you are the oldest, but I seem to remember another poster who's 47, and I'm 45, so if you are our greybeard, its not by much
Talking about greybeards, I'm 27 and finding my beard (and even hair) turning grey. Noticable, even. Do I count?

- Humer
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:15 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

I recently introduced Dominions I to one of my students. He hadn't played the game earlier but he's into Warhammer 40k and such games. I gave him a crash course so that he would survive the first encounter with the UI.

Today I asked him how he liked it. He was sad to say that he hadn't had much time to try it out. He and his friend were interrupted by the friend's father who found out about the game, occupied the computer and played Dominions for hours.
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:19 PM

BANNED USER

LOL Kristoffer!
Guess what, my father like to play with Doms I. too.
Hes a big fan of simulation games, he never played strategy games, but he liked it! It must be a special game.
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:55 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
Today I asked him how he liked it. He was sad to say that he hadn't had much time to try it out. He and his friend were interrupted by the friend's father who found out about the game, occupied the computer and played Dominions for hours.
Talk about Grognard games...

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:02 PM

BANNED USER

*bump*

We have new Users, they might want to introduce themselves.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:41 PM

Corporal

Calanor is on a distinguished road

My thanks for your consideration, Mortifer!

Anyway, I'm 33 years of age, live in Sweden and have been into comps (both when it comes to gaming and programming) since I was 12 years old - hmm, that's 21 years ago *shudder* I was introduced to paper and pen role-playing games a year later or so and has since been both player and game master in several different systems (D&D, Call of Cthulhu and Rolemaster to mention a few, although only the latter has received any serious attention from my part during the Last 10 years or so). My interest in strategy games probably began around that time as well, although one of the first strategy games I actually remember playing extensively was probably Empire.

In more recent years, I wasted a whole lot of time on MUDs during a couple of years. I have also been a fairly active member of the Unreal community (I used the handle Bane there, though) and spent a considerable amount of time developing mods for that game (and perhaps even still more chatting with people about how to develop mods). Although I have left that scene, the interest for modding has remained and I seem to be unable to leave games that I like alone - Earth 2150, Blitzkrieg, Rise of Nations, Diablo 2, and several others have all been my hapless victims.

The explanation is probably simple - modding combines two of my greatest interests when comps are concerned, namely gaming and programming. Even though not all modding involves writing actual programs, the creative process often has similarities.

Apart from computers, I am interested in history, mythology/religion/etc and fantasy in all forms (talking about dragons and stuff here, not necessarily other kinds of fantasies ) I also practice chinese martial arts regularly, which I guess is a nice break from the comp, which otherwise occupy most of my spare time.

Hmm, this turned out to become a bit longer than planned, so ta-ta..
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:33 PM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

I'm surprisingly similar to Calanor...

34 year old and French, I got into strat. gaming and RPGs when I was around 12 or 13 (I was sick and my mom bought me this mag called "Jeux et Strategie"; the French members will know what I mean). At about the same time, I read Lord of the Ring, and it went downhill from that

I played a lot of RPGs for a few years, and less wargames, mainly because of the difficulty of finding opponents; playing both sides of a battle and cleverly countering one's own traps can only take you so far. I did, however, play a LOT of Advanced Squad Leader for a few years.

I got started on computers and computer games a little before I bought my first Sinclair Spectrum in the mid-eighties (I was 15 or 16, I'd say); I never really let go of them, since I now teach Computer Science in an engineering school (though I'm more of a mathematician than a comp. scientist at heart).

These days my hobbies almost all revolve around gaming; I play a lot of computer games (either RPGs or TBS; always solo so far, but I might get started on MP with Dom2 if I can find enough BAD players like me ), and also a lot of Legend of the Five Rings (a collectible card game). I gave up on PnP RPGs a few years ago, and PnP wargames when I lost contact with my regular ASL opponent.