.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:51 PM

Corporal

Calanor is on a distinguished road
Default Item tweak mod

Well, I frankly don't know if this will be that interesting to the public, but I might just as well offer it for download, I guess. Chances are that these tweaks will become completely obsolete as soon as the mod tools are released.

I've made some item tweaks to the demo - my main intent is to restrict item creation a little. In this Version, I've basically just added +1 to the required skill levels and tweaked the way the gem costs are calculated a bit. Not that special perhaps, although it will probably affect gameplay a bit - especially for rainbow mages, I'd expect.

This is a patch that will make changes to the Dominions 2 exe, but you will the option to make a copy of the original file during installation. Also, it has not been tested at all in multiplayer, so I have no idea if it will behave properly in such games.

Also included is a master list of all items that can be created in the Forge, along with their original skill requirements as well as the tweaked, new ones. Far from all of the items listed can be created in the demo Version, though. Some might feel that an item list is kind of a spoiler - if you are one of them, don't download the package or refrain from reading the list

If you think this might be interesting, click on this link to download the package. Note that this patch will only work with the Windows Version of the demo.

[Edit: Changed link]

[ November 03, 2003, 00:48: Message edited by: Calanor ]
Old November 2nd, 2003, 08:00 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Item tweak mod

It sounds interesting to say the least. Out of idle curiosity, how did you manage to alter the costs, and to find the list of all items? Hopefully it won't get too technical.

If anyone has a problem with downloading from Geocities: try to reload the page. Geocities has some restrictions on remote linking, so you may have to reload the page. (If you are using Mozilla and its tabs for example)
Old November 2nd, 2003, 08:03 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by Alneyan:
It sounds interesting to say the least. Out of idle curiosity, how did you manage to alter the costs, and to find the list of all items? Hopefully it won't get too technical.

If anyone has a problem with downloading from Geocities: try to reload the page. Geocities has some restrictions on remote linking, so you may have to reload the page. (If you are using Mozilla and its tabs for example)
It is technical - it involved a certain amount of trial and error, as well as some basic understanding of assembler directives
Old November 2nd, 2003, 08:15 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Were you finding magic items overbalancing? Or did you just do this to impress everyone
Old November 2nd, 2003, 08:28 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
Were you finding magic items overbalancing? Or did you just do this to impress everyone
Heh, well, some magic items might be a bit unbalanced in power level and/or cost IMO, but basically I wanted forging to become a tiny bit little more special - not something that your newly hatched little initiate would necessarily be able to pull off.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:04 PM

Corporal

josh_f is on a distinguished road

Nice, work. Would you mine posting the source code? That way people can write patches for other OS.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:13 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by josh_f:
Nice, work. Would you mine posting the source code? That way people can write patches for other OS.
I don't know how that would help - the file offsets in the exe will not be the same between different platforms, so all you'd end up with is a program that ruins your exe, heh.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 10:21 PM

BANNED USER

Zerger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Calanor:
Well, I frankly don't know if this will be that interesting to the public, but I might just as well offer it for download, I guess. Chances are that these tweaks will become completely obsolete as soon as the mod tools are released.

I've made some item tweaks to the demo - my main intent is to restrict item creation a little. In this Version, I've basically just added +1 to the required skill levels and tweaked the way the gem costs are calculated a bit. Not that special perhaps, although it will probably affect gameplay a bit - especially for rainbow mages, I'd expect.

This is a patch that will make changes to the Dominions 2 exe, but you will the option to make a copy of the original file during installation. Also, it has not been tested at all in multiplayer, so I have no idea if it will behave properly in such games.

Also included is a master list of all items that can be created in the Forge, along with their original skill requirements as well as the tweaked, new ones. Far from all of the items listed can be created in the demo Version, though. Some might feel that an item list is kind of a spoiler - if you are one of them, don't download the package or refrain from reading the list

If you think this might be interesting, click on this link to download the package. Note that this patch will only work with the Windows Version of the demo.
Is it legal to modify the .exe?
Old November 2nd, 2003, 10:57 PM

Corporal

That probably varies, depending on what country you live in. Usually, I wouldn't expect devs to mind all that much, unless we're dealing with outright on-line cheats or cracks. Out of common courtesy however, I asked Johan if going public with this tweak was OK and he didn't mind.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 12:25 AM

BANNED USER

Sammual is on a distinguished road

I can't access the zip file.
Any chance you could pass it on to Sunray_be or DominionsX?

Sammual