.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > LockNLoad: The Forgotten Heroes

Old August 16th, 2002, 12:55 PM

Sergeant

Mark H. Walker is on a distinguished road
Default So, you wanna be a priest?

Make no mistake, LnL is a realistic simulation, but I believe realism comes with "feel" not endless charts of numbers. I also believe in the "Army of One." Sometimes it is the individual that turns the tide of the fight, and it is the individual that we relate to in movies and books. So why not games?

LnL will have prominant individuals. Its leaders work much like those in ASL -they modify fire and rally troops. Heros also modify fire, and increase your chances of winning a melee, but can't rally troops.

Both leaders and heros receive special cards called Skill Cards. These bestow unique powers. For example, the "Charismatic" card allows leaders to rally troops in adjacent hexes. The "Thumper" card makes the hero carrying it an expert with the M-79 --a man capable of lobbing grenades over buildings and into the nest of VC waiting there.

There are medics who can --after passing a morale check-- rally one shaken squad or heal a wounded single man counter. And of course there are chaplains who may rally troops, but not when in the line of sight of the enemy.

What other characters would you all like to see?

Best,
Mark
Old August 18th, 2002, 08:47 PM

Private

Pete Atack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So, you wanna be a priest?

I also agree that the presence of a senior NCO w/i the US ranks will add an interesting angle (be it the company 1SG, or Battalion Sergeant Major type), although, typically, the 1SG did not deploy with line units into the field.
As for the NVA / VC, I think the game covers most of the important figures. A political officer would create some neat variations, but from what I've read, we generally disliked by the infantry types (the political officers would whip everyone into a frenzy, but conveniently avoid the firefights). As for the VC, the only thing that pops into mind would be a counter representing political / military cadre. These men were very important to the recruiting and training of VC units and frequently found themselves the targets of ambushes or 'snatch' missions by US units for intel purposes. Other than that, civilians in the villages always created problems, but I don't know if we want to venture there at this level of the game.
Any ideas?
Pete
Old August 19th, 2002, 01:59 AM

Private

Eddie Campisano is on a distinguished road

In the Marine Corps the highest ranking field NCO was the company Gunnery Sargeant or "Gunny". They were almost always very charismatic and highly respected. They were a father figure to the men, including the officers. They were the most experienced Marines and also had the ability to command the company should all the officers be killed. I think the Army equivelant was the 1st Sargeant. In game terms this individual could be given the ability to boost morale and rally, or morale and rally could be negatively effected if this individual were killed. Or does LNL already take this effect into consideration?

Do the NVA have political officers (a chaplain equivelant)?

How about the effect of having a senior officer directing the battle from an overhead chopper? This could be either positive or negative. Positive in that he can see enemy out of the LOS of the ground commander; negative in that he adds to the confusion on the ground (false or confused reports of enemy sightings/intentions).

The use of special skill and event cards cards must really enhance the playability, and expansion, possibilities of LNL. Once I"ve seen the game rules and have played the demo I'm sure I'll have some ideas to "tweak" the game system.

Of course, we don't want to complicate the game or slowly turn it into another ASL. The aparant simplicity of LNL is what I find so attractive. It's a game you should be able to play and enjoy right out of the box!

Eddie Campisano
how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? (Romans 8:32)
Old August 20th, 2002, 06:45 PM

Private

Mark,
as for individual characters for a US counter mix, how about a Kit Carson scout. They usually weren't much in the way of trigger pullers, but may add an ability for scouting or detecting ambushes.
And I'm not sure about the level of off map support (arty, air, mortars)in the game, but maybe a Forward Observer / Fire Support Officer to add accuracy to indirect fires?

Pete
Old August 21st, 2002, 05:30 PM

Sergeant

Mark H. Walker is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of the Kit Carson scout. Where can I find out more about those men? The game will also probably include civilians.

Best,
Mark
Old August 21st, 2002, 06:24 PM

Private

Here's a neat link to a first hand account of Kit Carson scouts (http://www.bonsai-american-style.com/Sam.htm).
From a quick glance and from what I know the KCs were ex-VC / NVA who came over on the Chu Hoi repatriation program and volunteered to work with US infantry units as scouts. Most acted as pointman for US squads and had a US slackman as a partner. They were generally dressed and equipped to look like VC / NVA to increase their utility as scouts. Hope that helps,

Pete