Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 26th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Corporal

Leslie is on a distinguished road
Default Formatting benefits

I format fairly casually, because I test a lot of things out on the system, and it tends to mess the system up more often than not.

Ok, first off, I tested WinSPMBT this morning after a clean unmodified unupdated install of my XP Pro w/SP2. Didn't do a darn thing to the system, just installed the game and ran it with zero adjustments to any of the games programming.

It appears that we have a good example of it "not being the game's fault" here.

Played a scenario (Aussie Armour) and there were no apparent difficulties through several turns. Sound behaves, animations behave, units move like expected.

All in all, I can say the game as downloaded should run on a vanilla install of XP Pro w/SP2. And it also appears my thoughts on Celeron processor might not have panned out.

Somewhere along the way, the culprit has to have been other software that was installed that clouded the situation.

Therefore, I can say, job well done SP Camo (it isn't your game's fault here).

And my advice to any that are experiencing difficulties, you may want to consider, that it might not be the game, it might be your system, or something on it.
Might just be something else that is installed and has changed the conditions, or it might something else currently running and altering the conditions.

For those that don't know how to format or for those that don't do it much if ever, I suggest it become a skill and or routine possessed.
For those that do know how and don't mind doing it, you might want to give it a stab.
Cost me about an hour this morning to find out.
Naturally of course I have to re install some other things now

Now the hunt begins. What offending piece of programming is responsible for messing up my ability to run WinSPMBT.
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Formatting benefits

I would advice, instead of re-installing every other month, do a clean instal once. Afterwards you should simply take more care about what you're installing on you 'puter, and that it is properly protected by firewall and virus scanner.

You now, I ran my Win95 (without any a,b,c) for 2,5 years, without any problems, and the only time I got bluescreens was when a faulty device driver screwed up the system. After changing it to another one, every was well again. And I had lots of software, games included, installed, no problems whatsoever.

Than I switched to W2k over 2 years ago, and again the box is running without problems. I even have done several beta test with it, (de-)installing lots of software and patches, never encountering any serious problem. As it turned out during these test, the P2/400 box with 384MB and SCSI drives run circles around some Ghz-machines other testers used. Why?

Because it runs only those programs and services that I actually use and need, and not a whole lot of 'funny stuff'.
I do not use/install all that multimedia crap, like half a dozend different video/mp3 players from questionable sorces, or "desktop enhancements" which interfere with even the most basic programs because of sloppy programming.

Handed the box to my wife now and build me a slightly faster one from 'spare parts' lying around. Again, did 2 beta test on it (WinSPMBT included), and did not encounter any of those problems which fill the forum atm.
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Corporal

Leslie is on a distinguished road

"Afterwards you should simply take more care about what you're installing on you 'puter, and that it is properly protected by firewall and virus scanner."

Virus scanner is a routine must, I have some friends that think they're intrusive, but I never use the computer without one actively guarding it.
I use the resident XP firewall for the most part.

But, it has been my note, that there are lots of games out there, and some applications too, that are "supposedly" safe, and "supposedly" properly made

But what the user occasionally gets, is a program that insists (sometimes without even so much as a by your leave), that goes and adjusts settings, adjusts defaults, and messes with hardware.

I know, I've seen it.
Games, the list could be a long one. But just because it's popular and well thought of, doesn't mean it will be unintrusive on install.
Quicktime is my favourite to hate. It's needed to view a lot of videos online, but the second you install it, you can pretty much consider most of your settings messed up.
I avoid Quicktime like the plague. The occasional video on a web page, is just not good enough reason for installing Quick crap.

I usually use more applications than games.
Some install unintrusively, some not so unintrusively. I't often hard to tell though which result you got.

I'll wager more computer issues are created by new fancy graphically intense 3d games, than from application.

But in the end, I have it down to a science now. I can have the system formatted and back in operation in about 2 hours.
Beats spending 2 hours trying to track down a mysterious effect (and potentially not finding anything).

As we speak, I have loaded the AV, hardware specific updates and all the routine updates as well as my Firefox Browser.
Played 3 games now, and still no sign of what was making the program crash on my first usage on day one.
Old June 26th, 2005, 04:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

It would be nice to know what is actually doing in the MP3 handling, so any firther tests would be welcome

Remember to save off a restore point too!.

My money is on some sort of "multimedia accessory" that either or both of indtalls a dud CODEC or takes over MPEG handling because it "knows best", MP3 being the audio format for MPEG. Anything that messes with the default Microsoft installation of DirectShow as well. (That includes some poorly written plug-ins for Windows Media player).

So - it can be coming from a movie third-party widget as much as a music one. Possibly even a "kewl" screen saver?.

Cheers
Andy
Old June 26th, 2005, 10:29 PM

Private

Rampager83 is on a distinguished road

If you are going to format often (I have 3 kids still at home and usually re-format & reload about every 3-4 months) then I suggest you get a copy of a program like NORTON GHOST.

THEN:

1. Save all the files you want to keep.

2. Wipe the drive/partition.

3. Load Windows and all hardware drivers.

4. Load your anti-virus/anti-spyware packages.

5. THEN conntect to the "Net and upgrade as follows:

WINDOWS
ANTI-VIRUS
ANTI-SPYWARE
any other system utilities/firewalls/etc.

6. Install your basic software loadout:

Office Suite
Browsers/plug-ins
Essential applications
Those games you have played for years

7. Install GHOST (or it's twin) and make an IMAGE of your
drive.

8. Then install all the multimedia and non-essential stuff.

When you have to "re-install" use GHOST/et al to re-install
from the image and you will save lots of time and frustration.

To be REAL safe, install a 2nd/3rd hard drive and put the image and any data backups on the other drive.

Just my $0/02.
BK