.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:57 PM

Sergeant

Nikolai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why Not Digitial Distribution?

Are you serious saying you would rather have Steam DRM'd version of Dominions III than version we have now?

Sorry, but this is nuts! From Steam, I get only games that I cannot get in a box and a CD, and then I play them only on my home desktop. I play Dominions III from two computers day to day, and two others when I move around. Can you even play Steam locked games without Internet connection?
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
S.R. Krol said:
Is an extra seven days of not having it really going to make a difference?
*blinks* Uh....Yes.

In today's instant gratification culture it makes very good sense to offer it online. I almost didn't bother it because I had to wait on it to ship. There are lots of good games out there I can download immediately - it took a lot of will power for me to invest my time in waiting.

This is ESPECIALLY true for a game you also can't find on store shelves.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nikolai said:
Are you serious saying you would rather have Steam DRM'd version of Dominions III than version we have now?

Sorry, but this is nuts! From Steam, I get only games that I cannot get in a box and a CD, and then I play them only on my home desktop. I play Dominions III from two computers day to day, and two others when I move around. Can you even play Steam locked games without Internet connection?
No, I'm saying that there is no digitally distributed version of DOM 3 and that Steam would be a potential candidate as a method of distro (NOT that a digitally downloaded version should replace the CD-only hard copy distro). Personally I don't care how they do it, I was just trying to refute the argument that "making something available by digital distribution = more piracy".

Also, I really like Steam. I would never buy a game off Steam I plan to install on multiple computers, but I do not have a laptop that is strong enough to run TF2, or HL2, or Portal, nor would I want to drop the grand or two that would be required to get good FPS.

I bought Orange Box on Steam, and I'm very happy with it. It installs itself, downloads its own updates right away, and I don't have to keep track of a serial # or a DVD.

FYI, Steam does allow you to play games offline as long as they're not in the middle of upgrading.

http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...3160-AGCB-2555

Jazzepi
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Nikolai:

That isn't about you, me and many other people. But for many people it is hard to buy it. They have to pay S&H, wait for it to be shipped etc. And they would prefer to have it now, even if it means no pretty manual. Most people that have it here probably live in US and they can order it from Amazon with free shipping.

LA Agartha guide
Old February 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Analyzing the introductions thread:

59 from Europe

19 from Scandinavia (didn't count the Dutch in), the most important European sub-group. I didn't count UK people because UK isn't as important as Scandinavia, but there were well over a dozen from there as well.

66 from USA/Canada

9 from somewhere else (5 from Australia, and single ones from from Solomon Island, Mauritius, China, Argentina)

So while the US is the biggest market, at least judging by those who register at this forum Europe is at very nearly the same numbers. It should also be remembered that there are at least French language forums with Dominions discussion, and those who aren't native English speakers tend to favour forums in their own languages (except for Finns, who flock to these forums). I don't remember where I saw them. Probably after I read a Dom3 review published on some French site. It was maybe a year ago or something, but they had games going on back then.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Don't forget that a nice portion of the Dominions III "DRM" is The Manual.
Aside from legalities, The Manual is a very good reason to choose a legal copy of Dominions III over a pirated one.
Selling Dominions III online would require either supplying the manual as a PDF (which would then be instantly pirated and spread through the internet, ruining the current "DRM"), or allowing a download and sending the manual by mail, which would actually be more expensive to do.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Agrajag:

Nah, manual is rather a nice addon. You want to buy Dom3 because of patches and MP. Some bugs looks like created to be fixed with a first patch so pirated versions are broken

LA Agartha guide
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM

Corporal

BesucherXia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agrajag said:
Don't forget that a nice portion of the Dominions III "DRM" is The Manual.
Aside from legalities, The Manual is a very good reason to choose a legal copy of Dominions III over a pirated one.
Selling Dominions III online would require either supplying the manual as a PDF (which would then be instantly pirated and spread through the internet, ruining the current "DRM"), or allowing a download and sending the manual by mail, which would actually be more expensive to do.
Seconded.
In fact I think I will pay for another copy if an updated manuel can be delivered.
Even if the E-Manual is available, I still perfer using paper book, which is much more convenience.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
llamabeast said:
The thing is that you are missing out on the impulse-buying market.
I'm not sure most people consider $55 an impulse purchase.
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM

Sergeant

Cerlin is on a distinguished road

One thing I hate about steam, you cannot mod the games. They are in one or two different files and no modding is possible. This would be pretty big downside for Dom3. I know this because I got Medieval 2 Kingdoms on steam, and I cannot use any mods made by the community.
Also the internet access is a huge down side.
I dont think that its a big bonus.

"Luck is what others call skill when they have none." - Phelean Wolf