.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old January 24th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Corporal

Siddhi is on a distinguished road
Default scenario design help?

a couple of questions to help me with a scenario i have been working on for the last couple of monthes.

- new 3.0 patch
i started the scenario construction in an earlier version and have not yet dl`d the new patch. can i install it and continue the scenario design, or alternatively finish it in the present version and still play it in 3.0?

- increasing infantry fire
the present effects of one type of infantry i am using i consider to be too low, partially because the grenade launcher used by the AI (which the player side does not have in its units) seems to unbalance it a bit. secondly i also consider the different rifle effects to be important. i do NOT want to mobhack and give the rifle of the players side a "scoped" rating, also i do not want to raise experience of the unit too much as it unbalances gameplay. i have tried the following
- add a "fire control" rating to the infantry unit (does not seem to have any effect, correct?)
- increase "infantry toughness" to the players side (to decrease the effect of the enemy gernade launcher)
- decrease "infantry toughness" to the enemy (to raise the effects of the players rifle squads)
unfortunatly the last option increases the effect of ALL hits on the squad, while i am only looking to raise the infantry vs infantry rating. also, in the second option raising the toughness makes the unit "too tough" facing armour and arty (arty effectivness is also being slightly reduced as it is)

finally, what would be a "true" representation for a unit only armed with rifles? the rifle only in slot 1, or the rifle in slot 1 AND in slot 2? IIRC this was orignally done in ye old original SP game.

suggestions?
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: scenario design help?

Point 1. There is no affect on sceanrio design installing the new version. YOu will be able to continue on as before

Point 2. If you want to increase or decrease the infanrty toughness YOU cannot do that. All you can do is "suggest" that the player do that .

Point 3. It depends on the size of the unit but a normal sized squad would likely be represented with two rifles

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Siddhi said:

- increasing infantry fire
the present effects of one type of infantry i am using i consider to be too low, partially because the grenade launcher used by the AI (which the player side does not have in its units) seems to unbalance it a bit. secondly i also consider the different rifle effects to be important. i do NOT want to mobhack and give the rifle of the players side a "scoped" rating, also i do not want to raise experience of the unit too much as it unbalances gameplay. i have tried the following
- add a "fire control" rating to the infantry unit (does not seem to have any effect, correct?)
- increase "infantry toughness" to the players side (to decrease the effect of the enemy gernade launcher)
- decrease "infantry toughness" to the enemy (to raise the effects of the players rifle squads)
unfortunatly the last option increases the effect of ALL hits on the squad, while i am only looking to raise the infantry vs infantry rating. also, in the second option raising the toughness makes the unit "too tough" facing armour and arty (arty effectivness is also being slightly reduced as it is)
Some things you can do since it is a scenario is edit the units directly in the scenario itself. To reduce the AI GL power you can reduce the unit's experience and also the ammo load for the GL's.

To sort of increase the infantry toughness for the other side you can increase the experience and morale of those units. It does affect all attacks against it though so it depends what you are trying to accomplish.

I stay away from using MobHack because you are messing with the default OOB's and many players (at least some of the comments I have heard) will not play scenarios if they have to load custom OOB's just to play it.

I prefer to edit units in the scenarios themselves that way you are only affecting the scenario itself and no effort is required of the player other than to just DL and play.

Thats just my personal preferences though.
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:24 AM

Corporal

- i had no idea that the rifle only squad should be equipped with "2 rifles", i will do that but my experience has been that they suddenly kill more then if they had a LMG in slot 2 (referring to Stg-77 ACR 3 and MG72 ACR 30 IIRC). i'll test it anyway

- regarding the killer grenade launcher, the only real solution would be to give only AT (HEAT?)instead of HE shells, but dunno if then the unit even fire on an infantry unit. as i cannot however mod 1BN+ of units i'm just going to find a workaround.

thanks for the comments.
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:27 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:

- i had no idea that the rifle only squad should be equipped with "2 rifles", i will do that but my experience has been that they suddenly kill more then if they had a LMG in slot 2 (referring to Stg-77 ACR 3 and MG72 ACR 30 IIRC). i'll test it anyway

In the original SP1 OOBs, a very few large sections (12 men or so) which only had rifles (e.g. some Italian rifle groups) and a hand grenade, got 2 rifle slots, and 1 hand grenade.

Which is "wrong" as slot 1 weapons if infantry prime (rifles SMG) are multiplied by the number of men in the section, so they really only should have one rifle weapon in slot 1.

if you give them 2 rifle weapon slots, one in slot 1, one elsewhere (or say an "smg" in slot 2-4),
- you have given them Nmen+1 rifles (someone is carying 2!
- You have given the section an extra weapon slot, so an extra fire opportunity (even if with a low order weapon).
In SP1/2/3 the extra slot and so fire opp added compulsory supression - in our version of the game you actually need to "near miss" to add S to a soft unit.

So - the only use really should be in large 10 plus man elements, soley equipped with rifles (no LMG). If at all.

But it is an OOB designer's (or scenario designer if changing weapons) call as to whether or not to do this (the cost calculator will add points for the used slot so the element will be more expensive). No should/must have 2 rifle slots! - in fact usually the opposite, all rifle in slot 1.

Andy
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM

Corporal

mobhack, that was very informative - thanks!