.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old June 18th, 2004, 12:00 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP: Mon-Fri 12.00h UTC fixed scheduled host (game in progress)

I'd be in, not sure what nation yet.
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

I can maybe arrange to host your game for you on kludgemush.com, but I don't want to play.

My only condition is that I get to name your game something snarky.

[ June 18, 2004, 07:19: Message edited by: Norfleet ]
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Mark the Merciful

Quote:
Originally posted by Chazar:

So what about a fixed schedule, like
MONDAY-FRIDAY at 12.00h UTC
Works for me

Edit: You may want to change the thread name to reflect your new proposal (and possibly attract more players).

[ June 18, 2004, 08:40: Message edited by: Mark the Merciful ]
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
I can maybe arrange to host your game for you on kludgemush.com, but I don't want to play.

My only condition is that I get to name your game something snarky.
That sounds nice, thank you, although I dont know what 'snarky' means, but I am not worried by names anyway, that is names that are outside of the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet in another thread:
quote:

Sure, but with a telephone connection to the internet, like the one that I use and which is paid by the minute, hosting is somewhat less fun...

That sounds like a personal problem to me, soldier. Not to be rude or anything, but has the thought of upgrading your Internet connection and/or moving to a civilized country occurred to you?

Thanks for pointing out the pigeon protocol, but I was aware of that possibility. And yes, I have thought about upgrading, but I'll do it next spring when I have to move again and may rejoin with my beloved again. So living alone and commuting often makes a DSL-connection too expensive for me in my view, and the ISDN that I have isnt to bad either if you dont insist on staying Online all the night long.
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Captain

Just another question on quick-host: If it's enabled together with that fixed schedule, then there wouldnt be any problem, would there be?

Say that it will next host on Tue 12.00h, but now all turns were committed by Tue 11.00h, so it will host at Tue 11.00h and skip the hosting at Tue 12.00h, scheduling for hosting on Wed 12.00h. (Was explained that way in an older thread) So everybody knows for sure that his turn will be available (at least) after 12.00h and that he has only to commit before 12.00h the next day without getting a stale turn.

So enabling QH doesnt hurt with a fixed schedule, while the benefit would be that the player who commits his turn as the Last one could download his turn immediately without waiting (and reconnecting to the internet) and that we might occasionally have a turn on some weekends if everybody happens to be available, yet without any risk of stale turns, right?
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Sergeant

Pickles is on a distinguished road

Hi
I would like to be in, provisionally as R'lyeh if that's OK.

Pickles
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Reverend Zombie is on a distinguished road

Never mind, I think I was wrong.

[ June 18, 2004, 13:49: Message edited by: Reverend Zombie ]
When that they find nothing but waste...

Old June 18th, 2004, 05:06 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just another question on quick-host: If it's enabled together with that fixed schedule, then there wouldnt be any problem, would there be?

(snip)

So enabling QH doesnt hurt with a fixed schedule, while the benefit would be that the player who commits his turn as the Last one could download his turn immediately without waiting (and reconnecting to the internet) and that we might occasionally have a turn on some weekends if everybody happens to be available, yet without any risk of stale turns, right?
If it's quickhost, then it isn't fixed schedule, and people can get screwed because they can't predict when the next turn is due.

For instance : 24 Hour fixed schedule, turns going at 6 am. At 6:15 am, you take your turn, and know you have almost 48 hours until you have to get your next turn in, because the turn you just took doesn't get processed until 6 am the next day, leaving another 24 hours before the next one.

With 24 Hour quickhost, and a turn that went at 6 am, you take your turn at 6:15, and again figure you have almost 48 hours. Unfortunately, everyone winds up taking their turn very early; the Last one gets turned in at 8:15 am, and the turn processes. The next turn will now run 24 hours later, at 8:15.

Now, instead of having 47+ hours to come back and take your next turn, you only have 26 hours from when you took your turn. Coming back the afternoon of the next day, which you figured left plenty of time to spare, and you find that you missed your turn and got screwed.

Quick Host means you don't know when the turns are due - it's nice if everyone is Online a lot, but it makes it difficult to know when the next turn will be due, and it makes it difficult to go away for anything much over the quickhost interval.

I might be mistaken - but I am pretty certain that you can only have Quickhost or fixed schedule, not both.
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Captain

No, that isnt true, I have just tested it:

If it is Quickhosted with a fixed schedule, then if a quick host happened, the next schedule gets skipped:

So in your example, committing a turn at MON 6:15h still leaves you 47.75h: if there is a quick host before TUE 6:00h then there will be no hosting at TUE 6:00h but only on WED 6:00h as you had calculated. (Even with further Quick-hosts happening before TUE 6:00h! If there is then another Quickhost after TUE 6:00h, then WED 6:00h is skipped as well.)

Any quick-host seems to set a flag: When a scheduled time is reached, this flag is checked. If it is set, nothing happens, but the flag is deleted. If it is unset, then the turn will be hosted. So if you dont set a time intervall, but only fixed hours for each day and do quickhost, then there is no such problem as you described, because a quick host will actually only prolong the time to the next hosting.

I actually just tested this behaviour on my own machine with two players. Test it yourself, which is easy as the server displays the hours until next hosting. The important part is not to set a time intervall (leave at zero).

So I strongly vote for enabling it, as there is nothing to lose. If someone wants to keep to the schedule: fine! The player committing Last can play immediately again if he wishes so, without redialing into the net again...

[ June 18, 2004, 16:51: Message edited by: Chazar ]
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Sergeant

Karacan is on a distinguished road

So it's a twice-a-week-hosting?

Sounds great to me. If noone wants to, I'd very much like to play Ermor and be everyone's favourite target.

I assume we're playing 2.12 (and patch as soon as available).

Edit: Umm... or did I misinterpret the Monday-Friday thingy meaning Monday And Friday, than rather Monday TO Friday?
Then I have to resign again, I just won't be able to do a turn every weekday.

[ June 18, 2004, 16:58: Message edited by: Karacan ]