.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old March 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Private

fossiili is on a distinguished road
Default Israel attacking Iran next October

My frend started a game with me. He chouse a meeting fight on 10/2006. I wondered a little becouse how has it been possible to know beforehand the machinery those nations have on next October.

And now after 10 turns I am in a quite hopeless situation. I can not do anything agains Israeli air forcies.

I have to live to the end of this game
But then I want take the same map and the same situation again, choosing a better combination of forcies. But are there any real possibilities for an army of a developing country against an highly technical enemy? What AA do you recommend me to use?

Please, help
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Corporal

Cameronius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Israel attacking Iran next October

If you can spare 1000pts or so for Air defense you should be able to get a reasonably effective force. 2 or 4 SANAM 2-34s to travel with your main force, 3 SA-6 SAMs to hide on a hill top for standoff protection and six stationary AAA guns with radar to scatter around your gun line. Service these units with ammo carriers, Boragh ammo looks good and has the added bonus of .50AAMGs. If you have more than 5000 pts to spend you can afford this AA force. It will make his air attacks costly. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Plane.gif[/img]
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:25 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

At this date you probably have access to the favorit LR-SAM, and the RBS-70 inf-SAM.

Andy
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Private

Quote:
Cameronius said:
... 2 or 4 SANAM 2-34s to travel with your main force, 3 SA-6 SAMs to hide on a hill top for standoff protection and six stationary AAA guns with radar
Now I have tryed long fighting against my frend on 10/2006. He has coninued as the commander of Israeli troops and I have had Iracians. The SANAM 2-34s have been able to shut down a helicopter 2-3 times but in the long run they all soon become killed. The SA-6 SAMs usually do nothing or their missails do not hit. The stationary AAA guns with radar are the best weapons but becouse they are stationary, they are on the back and also in the long run artillery strikes hit them.

I have tryed many tackticks but nothing seems to help. My best result has been a draw, in that case my frend did some bad errors.

I wonder how one should deal with "now" i.e. 10/2006 with Iracian armament against Israelian. Are here any who dares to show me that

A meeting on a map I chouse, 5000/5000?
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:21 PM

Corporal

Cameronius is on a distinguished road

Get him to stop playing as Israel, or pick a more modern army to fight against him. The Iraeli OOB is EXCELLENT!
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:30 AM

Private

reconraider is on a distinguished road

The Israelis get junk and they turn it into something useable. Try Russians with a few 2S6M1 Tunguska, SA-13 Gopher, SA-11 Gadfly, or SA-15 Gauntlet. All moblile launchers so they can stay up with your tank corps. Also get SA-18S SAM troopers to mix in with your infantry. Will give low level protection. All in time/era you mentioned.
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:03 AM

Private

gibsonm is on a distinguished road

Perhaps you can also gain access to Iraqi or Jordanian equipment since the Israelis had to pass through them to get to Iran in the first place. Or has an Iranian unit decided to just visit the Gaza strip?

Mark
MAJ RAAC
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:03 AM

Private

The net result of this discussion has been, that it is impossable for Iran troops to win Israelian in any battle. In SPMBT game.
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:49 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Nope.

If you play to the israeli strengths, and try a heavy armour based force, you will likely die.

So avoid that, take a leg infantry-based force with arty support, a few shoulder mounted SAM to annoy helos, and a few of those Toophan-2 TOW missiles (multi charge warhead, decent chance vs APC and side shots on heavies). Any SAM intended to covert the arty park in the rear - a few ammo units would be useful for. use ammo bunkers near a few on-map arty units perhaps (but these are a bit expensive). maybe buy some sa-10 favourites (3-4), if he has planes these may take his attention away for a few moves while he deals with them .

for each elite inf co or regular inf co, probably best to take a coy of militia/conscript stuff. Advance those 10-12 hexes ahead of the good troops to use up ammo (especially his arty ammo) , act as "minesweepers" etc.

Avoid vehicles - his army strength is in vehicle killing. (maybe a few tin cans, or a fast cheap-model APC coy) to charge in the end game, held hidden behind hills in the early game).

Buy first (be player 1). Do not spend too many points, as the Israeli wants to buy loads of expensive kit, which you then can only match by buying high-ticket MBT etc. Don't play his game!.

you can buy 2 G5 off-map platoons for the price of 1 merkava. (Base mobhack values non adjusted for experience). let each israeli merkava have its own personal G5 platoon follow it round the battlefield

buy 3 or 4 forward observers, so you have a reasonable chance of observed fires, spread over your front.

As you will be player 1 - make sure the battlefield favours you. Look for one with hills and ridges, as he plays best on a tennis-court type battlefield. You want broken, for closer range engagements and to reduce his TI sight advantage, and you will love cities & towns . Keep spinning the map till you like it, or edit it a bit, or load a custom map, and look at the v-hex placement too.

all the above, any veteran of the Iran-Iraq war would probably recognise!. (The iraqui T72 of that period is just as nasty as the merkava vs contemporary Iranian tanks).

If you really must try to play his style of battle, with tanks and stuff, again - make sure you are player 1 and shape the battlefield your way. But use some of your strengths - buy quite a few leg rifle coys and a lot of G5 platoons. use the leg grunts to go forward and trip over things, your arty to annoy him, and the broken terrain to hide behind. Cover the battlefield in shoulder fired SAm and buy some toophan-2 teams as well. Play cautiously with your MBT, try for short range fights from the flanks, and try to let him come to you rather than making offensive moves in the open. That is why you need the broken terrain - you really need to get ambushes. You will lose tank duels. If he hunkers down waiting in ambush for you behind a ridge or village say, range in the arty on his area and send the grunts in . Buy loads amd loads of RPG teams, and dot over the battlefield to spot any such ambushes, and they may get lucky with a side shot as well.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Private

I am so hardy that I try again and again ...
I thank you very much of your comprehensive advice.
The only problem is that my frend also can read it

I keep you informed of all my success in the future.