Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old May 9th, 2010, 04:08 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default 106 RCL Jeeps tactics

Anyone find a good use for them?
I tried several different tactics but they all mostly fail. Sure, I might get lucky and kill a IFV or even a tank, but we are talking about losing all the jeeps, hardly worth it IMO.

Unless of course I am doing something wrong. Playing mostly modern era (and I do mean modern as in if I start a game today it will be set at May 2010.
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:20 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 106 RCL Jeeps tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Anyone find a good use for them?
I tried several different tactics but they all mostly fail. Sure, I might get lucky and kill a IFV or even a tank, but we are talking about losing all the jeeps, hardly worth it IMO.

Unless of course I am doing something wrong. Playing mostly modern era (and I do mean modern as in if I start a game today it will be set at May 2010.
There really aren't any tactics for 106 RCL Jeeps in the modern era. Even average APCs will tend to have a cannon, often stabilised, and so will hose them down after the first shot reveals them.

In the 50s, 60s and 70s they can be very lethal, even to T5X series, provided that you can set up at the halt a turn or 2 before and let the enemy come to you, or pop up from behind a ridge (move 1 hex only) and engage at <500m. In the 1950s US army before the 105 Patton, they are one of your most lethal AT weapons, so useful for dealing with IS series.

And they are cheap.

Cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Thanks.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Private

Render is on a distinguished road

The tank destroyer concept taken to its logical worst conclusion.

Against a modern equipped foe...

Defensively - Hide, pray for point blank shots to the sides or rear. Count on holding nothing with them for more then one fire phase.

Offensively - Sole value is as lead scout/bait. Providing one has something better to follow up with.

"We've been expecting a probe, that must have been it."

SKIRMISHERS
OUT,
R
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:01 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

In a big game full size map have used to good effect in a city defending a flank.
The hard part is avoiding arty so let him think that the move is undetected then he might not telegraph it with arty fall.
Once he has run into you they can slow the advance drastically, wont get that many but you are buying time & possibly resources as he calls arty over. Lets your force get local superiority in the main fight & can use them with main force at junctions.
If tanks have TI place one of each covering the junction, RCL nearest as inacurate & if its killed tank can still fire, if he fires at the tank your RCLs going to get another shot.
They can also move the 1 or 2 hexes to the junction & try there luck after main guys have drawn fire.
Only any good as a delaying force but as cheap the big boys are freed up to attack.
You need to be pretty confident you can take out any helos first or at least hold them off or they are cannon foder.
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Private

Crazy Ivan is on a distinguished road

Maybe a big motorized infantry support weapon? They can knock out APCs too.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:42 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe a big motorized infantry support weapon? They can knock out APCs too.
And tanks admitedly modern stuff needs a flank shot but thats not hard in a city enviroment. Even if all it achieves is getting his attention it can offer a flank to another unit or IF it hits suppresion can spoil his shot.
Modern times though most countries that have are in Africa or the Middle East how they ever use them in open spaces is beyond me, Central Europe is doable in the 70s as are the jungles of Asia & South America so long as the person does not plonk arty on you.
Still feel like you are in charge of a bunch of suicide junkies though prefer an AC for its speed & resistance to small arms fire & lug my RCLs on foot.

Another thing to try is Russian ATGs very expensive but cheaper & smaller than a tank. Drawback no TI on the ones with a move of 3 but unlike RCLs they do hit things regulary.
Fire & move it off that hill or wherever before smoke takes it out of play, need to be setup to engage at range so locating them is hard. Its diffrent to using WW2 ATGs because of the range you can engage at more like a multi shot ATGM. Once seen though it will die quickly to autocannons & main guns but so can a tank to the later.
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM

Private

mosborne is on a distinguished road

I happen to like those guys. They usually have good speed, small size and a good punch at a cheap price. Downside - very vulnerable, probably more so than a stationary gun.

Use for close shots, but best used in mass for point blank shots in combined assaults. Note enemy soft spots, suppress enemy with tank fire, guns, mgs, artillery, etc. Sometimes best to isolate the target and do the wolf pack thing. Be prepared to loose some, but usually with practice your returns can be very profitable. Just don't plan on making them your only option, after all the "Rat Patrol" was just a TV program.

Cheers.
Old September 19th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Also great to give muscle to light recce units - for "recon - in - force" on a small scale. If you manage to drive through the enemy first line that is.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:37 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Recoiless jeeps are much like ATGM ones. Shoot and scoot. Of course the ATGM ones usually have the advantage of range.

Find and ambush location, get off your one, two shots, run like hell *chuckles*

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein