Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 6th, 2015, 01:45 PM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Assault guns vs. tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
the 152 one with all HE ammo is nice, as I really like great big bangs. Lobbing 6 inch bricks into infantry formations, trucks, tanks carrying riders - what's not to like!
Those big bangs are certainly very impressive, and can spell bad news for lightly armoured vehicles! AP version tends to be quite nasty against more heavily armoured targets, if you manage to hit something - they are not usually very accurate when I am in command.

That said, Soviet assault guns tend to lack machine-guns (until the late war versions with 12.7 mm AAMGs), which means that once they run out HE ammo they cannot do much against enemy infantry.
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:27 PM

Corporal

Wiking is on a distinguished road

I've had that problem when I played Soviets as well. Its similar to the German's problem with the Ausf A and B StuG's which don't even have machineguns!

My big debate with my current campaign is whether I should upgrade my StuG's to Jagdpanthers and all of my PzKw IV's to PzKw V's or not when I hit 1944. Although it is definitely more attractive than trying to fight "realistically", I always feel a bit guilty going top-heavy like that.
Old May 7th, 2015, 10:38 AM

Sergeant

Those early StuGs tend to be a bit of a poor man's Panzer IV: no MG, no turret, less ammo for the main gun. Better armour, though.
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:03 PM

Corporal

Hence why I tend to pair them with my pioniers as either a reserve force or as the spearhead for an assault. I don't tend to use StuG's as a regular combat unit until they recieve the L/43 guns because they frankly just don't have the combat endurance or capabilities to hold off a Soviet tank company on their own. They need close support to do so, but their heavier armor can help out when the majority of your other AFV's are boasting 3 frontal armor at best.
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:15 AM

Sergeant

I have to agree that those StuGs with long guns are pretty respectable, especially when they are in a good defensive position where it is difficult to outflank them (so immobilisation is less of a problem).

As for keeping assault guns in reserve, they can also be used for moving your infantry reserve into a position. For example, SU-122 assault gun can carry a full infantry squad and has the same speed as a GAZ truck, but better cross-country mobility outside roads. Both tend to provide pretty meager protection to your infantry though, so better not to keep them loaded or even very close to the transports unless really necessary.
Old May 9th, 2015, 11:47 AM

Corporal

Absolutely! A common tactic for me when I'm doing assaults or advances is to not buy a truck company for the Pioniers and just pile them onto the StuG's to ride them until just before the point of contact. I'll usually dismount and sweep ahead on the road or path with the engineers about where I estimate to be running into mine belts or ambushes.

For assaults I tend to go Pioniers in the lead, StuG's right with them or right behind them, and a company of SS-Panzergrenadiers or regular Grenadiers bringing up the rear along with a Panzer company. If I'm feeling frisky sometimes I'll pick up some of those engineering tanks and lead with those too

The ISU/SU series with the enclosed fighting compartments are very very good at this, much better than even the StuH 42 because of the larger gun. Especially with experienced crew, I find that enemy defenses practically vaporize if you give them the time to work over an area properly and keep the engineers looking around.
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:45 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiking View Post
The ISU/SU series with the enclosed fighting compartments are very very good at this, much better than even the StuH 42 because of the larger gun. Especially with experienced crew, I find that enemy defenses practically vaporize if you give them the time to work over an area properly and keep the engineers looking around.
So far I haven't been very impressed with the results I have obtained with the big ISU/SU guns against dug-in infantry, maybe that has something to do with the limited crew experience. They certainly tend to keep those defenders pinned, but I tend to find that they are more effective against enemy that is not dug in - such as those taking cover in woods and buildings in advance/delay scenarios.

Against bunkers the 152 mm AP round tends to be very bad news, if it manages to score a hit - easiest done by driving close by (if the engineers have managed to clear mines under smoke cover) and then opening fire on next turn when the assault gun is no longer moving.
Old May 10th, 2015, 01:42 PM

Corporal

Yeah you definitely need better crew experience. Which can be hard to get as the Soviets unless you have a handle on their quirks (I cannot say that I entirely do).

Its much easier with a longer campaign as it gives your crews more time to get proficient. A shorter campaign or a single scenario means they'll likely be best used for suppression.