.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:30 AM

Private

Elias4444 is on a distinguished road
Default Weird Worlds, or Space Empires V?

I've been seriously considering buying Weird Worlds. I keep playing the demo and enjoy the graphics a great deal. Although I recently heard about Space Empires V... is it comparable? Which would you recommend more? It looks like I can only buy one for now, which is why I ask.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:37 AM

Private

Elias4444 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Weird Worlds, or Space Empires V?

Ha! Never mind! I just noticed that Space Empires doesn't have a Mac port... I prefer to support developers that support multiple platforms. Guess I'm buying Weird Worlds!
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

Also Weird Worlds is about exploring space and having an adventure. Space Empires V is about creating an empire, they have nothing in common except they are both in space.

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old July 5th, 2007, 09:59 PM

Major

Caduceus is on a distinguished road

You might want to consider Dominions 3 as well as it is on all three computer platforms and multiplayer to boot!
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Corporal

Zentar is on a distinguished road

I would have bought Space Empire V, but it wasn't available on MAC.

I have Dominions 3 and it is a wonderful deep strategy game. The manual is worth the price of the game alone as it has details on every spell and every nation (except one that was recently added). On a scale of 1 to 10 it would rate it as a 9.5! I could go on raving about Dominions but that would not be appropriate in this forum.

So I decided to get Weird Worlds. It lacks a SAVE GAME option (was this an oversight) and the manual is brief. Games are fast so perhaps a save game option wasn't considered for this reason. We are still waiting for a MAC patch. Strategy is light hearted with hints of Saturday Night Live. If you are lucky, Ripcord O'Reilly will join your fleet. Get a Chromium Gong and life gets easy especially if you also get those teleportation thrusters. On my 1-10 scale I would give it a 6.5.

Years ago there was a similar game where the crew members were obtained or bought. You might have a robotic navagator, a human diplomat, a Psylon science officer, and a warrior race gunner. These characters effected interactions with other races, combat, navigation, and finding things. They could be upgraded (trained) as the game went along. Well that was long ago, but the design concepts could be used in the future (I hope).

Good luck and happy gaming!
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM

Private

peterb12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Zentar said:
Years ago there was a similar game where the crew members were obtained or bought. You might have a robotic navagator, a human diplomat, a Psylon science officer, and a warrior race gunner. These characters effected interactions with other races, combat, navigation, and finding things. They could be upgraded (trained) as the game went along. Well that was long ago, but the design concepts could be used in the future (I hope).
You're thinking of Starflight, by Electronic Arts.

The spiritual sequel to Starflight would be Star Control 2. It has been open-sourced, and can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, or Linux here: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

I wrote a review of Star Control II some time ago, here: http://tleaves.com/2005/05/04/playab...r-control-ii/.

Enjoy.
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Sergeant

Ylvali is on a distinguished road

You might like to try Escape Velocity Nova too, by ambrosia software. Also a great space exploration/roleplaying/action game.