.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old April 30th, 2016, 04:11 PM

Private

Old Gamer is on a distinguished road
Default Red Dawn #263 Antonito

Red Dawn Series #263 Antonito

As with all of the Red Dawn scenarios I had no idea what to expect. The description told you where the event was at and what you had and what would be attacking you and that was about it. The map helped clear that up some as there were victory hexes already keyed to the Nicaraguans on the south and one to the west. The map has a town in the center with roads coming up from the south that cross a stream with three bridges. They were in range of some recon and some of an infantry platoon in houses at the south and southwest edge of town. The stream came in from the east and then curved south after the three bridge crossings.

On the west side a paved road came in from the southern middle of the board and then curved up toward the town. There was also a second dirt road from the west from the middle of the map. The western side had a wooded area 15 to 20 hexes in and about 2 to 6 hexes wide. This wooded area stopped on the south end at the paved road from the west. Just above the paved road was a low ridge that blocked view from the north. This ridge was discontinuous along the road and switched sides as the road turned north to the town. The whole area except the southern area south of the stream and on the west was flat open with a few trees and scattered building. The US defenders had a company of infantry, two TOW jeeps and a platoon of M60 tanks. In addition it had a M2 50 cal team, a couple of Dusters and a couple of stingers. Artillery consisted of the company mortars and two 105 platoons off board. A couple of turns into the game the US received two Cobras but without any ATGMS. They also received a couple of A7s ground attack jets.

The Soviet and Nicaraguans began their attack with an armored column coming in from the west on the paved road and an infantry attack up from the south toward the bridges. I had moved three of the M60s into the west edge of town and the other two into the east edge. Two of the M60s and one TOW jeep eliminated the armored attack on the west road. This left a large smoky group of wrecks that blocked view farther west. A few scouts survived the destruction and moved by foot toward the town. They had some nuisance value firing on the US infantry in that area until eliminated by the platoon MG team. A second wave of PT-76s came out of the woods, near the road on the west and was also knocked out as each came into view.

The Soviets held back Three T-62s at the edge of the board. On the south area the Nicaraguans executed an infantry attack supported by a couple of light recon vehicles and an armored car. They also had a platoon of T-55s. I dropped smoke at the bridges to isolate the front of the attack from farther back supporting Nicaraguan units. I also began targeting the bridges with the 105 platoons and the company mortars. The attack stalled under the artillery and as each individual squad crossed the bridge they came under fire from the infantry squads and the MMGs. The M60s also helped pin and damage the squads.

About this time the Cobras arrived and I was disappointed that they had no ATGMs. However I sent one down to the south to recon the cross bridge attack and see what was in support. This Cobra was the platoon leader so it could call arty if it found a good target. It spotted the armored car and knocked it out with its 20mm. A second infantry attack was forming up from the south in the area west of the stream toward the southwest edge of the town. I moved up some of the infantry and brought the sniper and 50 cal down to that area. I used the other Cobra and two M60s to stop and pin the infantry in the open and began to hit them with the 105s. By this time the 81mm mortars were out of ammunition.

This continued for many turns. (the game had 35 turns) Some of the M60s ran out of HE but had lots of MG ammunition. One MMG team at the bridge defense area also ran out of ammunition.

They tried to push tanks across the bridges but the M60s or Dragons knocked all of them out. Had to hit them more than once in a couple of cases. The A7s arrived and I ran a bombing strike down the road from the south where the Nicaraguan infantry finally got a column across a bridge. Two passes of the A7s finished this attack. On the other side of the stream on west this attack was also stalled by fire from MGs and the M60s so I sent the other A7 to hit this area. Between the 105s, A7s and the MGs the attack on the west side was halted and then broke into retreating and routing squads. I then began moving the infantry forward to recapture the victory hexs lost and to move farther west and south to get these that the victory hexes the Nicaraguans had at the beginning. I moved one platoon across the bridges heading south supported by one M60. The other two platoon went west and then one platoon turned south.

The Soviets now decided to launch their air attack. My stingers shot down one Mig 23 but the other got through and attacked the M60 platoon leader who was carefully hidden at the edge of town in woods. It was still targeted and knocked out by the 23mm gun from the Mig. They had two more runs and knocked out another M60 and immobilized another. Over all this was the best attack they had accomplished. Their tanks only died and the infantry attacks were smothered by artillery and MG fire.

As one platoon moved west on the road toward the Soviet tanks at the edge of the board the other moved south toward the victory hex in that area. The Cobras were moving around taking pot shots at the soviet tanks with the 20mm but no penetration. One was south scouting for the infantry coming the way. Both were hit and had to leave the board. The Soviet tanks moved from their reserve position and came under long range fire from a TOW jeep. The first two rounds were stopped by the close in defense system the tanks had. The TOW jeep came under fire so it relocated to the other side of the building it was using for cover. It fired once more with its last shot and took out one of the tanks.

Much earlier in the game I had moved one M60 to the woods on the west side of the board to be a cross fire for when any of the tanks on the west ever came out to play. I kept moving it south in the woods edge to both get closer and to move the view farther west. I had reconnoitered the area west of the tree line with a Cobra earlier and found no enemy in the area. Finally the Soviet tanks moved into view of the M60 and it knocked both of the remaining two tanks out.

The rest of the game was mopping up a couple of RPG teams and MG teams and I moved to the south and took all of the victory hexes. I got a marginal victory as I didn’t have the 10:1 required for major victory only 7:1.

The 105 and the amount of ammunition they had decided the game. Artillery was the King of Battle in this game. Between the artillery, sniper and MG fire the Nicaraguans could not close and use their weapons to attack the US units. As noted before in previous AARs I would include at least an ammo truck or a small ammo dump to the scenario. I didn’t even have to use the Dusters to mop up the infantry. My losses were minimal. I lost two tanks but the crews survived and one was immobilized. The Cobras were damaged but not shot down. I lost one dragon team from their arty. The rest of the infantry company was intact with only a few men lost.

The enemy artillery was ineffective. They would pin down some infantry but move to another location to fire. I could then move the pined units out away from that area. Their units on the other hand were trapped in the fire zones.

A fun game but not quite the nail biter the previous games were.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Gamer For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Red Dawn #263 Antonito

Good write-up. Seems like you're becoming an expert at defense. BTW you need only an 8:1 ratio to decisively beat the AI, not 10:1. Also it doesn't matter battle points-wise whether a tank's crew survives or not; if your tank is destroyed the opponent gets full credit for what it cost.

Abandoned vehicles (you can do it manually by hitting the "@" asterisk key and then hitting "Y" yes to the abandon query) are different. Sometimes you can avoid loss by ditching a crippled vehicle and shepherding the crew to safety. To claim points for an abandoned enemy vehicle, either kill the crew OR see to it that "the enemy vehicle was abandoned and not re-crewed and the battlefield is under your control. [Mobhack in an old thread]"
Old May 26th, 2016, 05:21 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivemi View Post
Abandoned vehicles (you can do it manually by hitting the "@" asterisk key and then hitting "Y" yes to the abandon query) are different. Sometimes you can avoid loss by ditching a crippled vehicle and shepherding the crew to safety. To claim points for an abandoned enemy vehicle, either kill the crew OR see to it that "the enemy vehicle was abandoned and not re-crewed and the battlefield is under your control. [Mobhack in an old thread]"
You can also "destroy" abandoned vehicles by having any infantry unit stay in its hex for a turn.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2016, 10:16 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also it doesn't matter battle points-wise whether a tank's crew survives or not; if your tank is destroyed the opponent gets full credit for what it cost.
Not sure that is correct I think & may be wrong -
If the crew survives the destruction of its vehicle to get the full points the crew needs to be killed as well.
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:36 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

No

If a crew bails from a vehicle that is damaged but not destroyed then the points the player who inflicted the damage gets is guaranteed to be the damage points inflicted. I think its shown on the roster - not something I check often.

If he then kills the crew somehow, he is guaranteed the full value.
If he parks a unit in the abandoned vehicle or guns hex, it gets fully destroyed so guaranteed full credit of points.
If the crew bail but the unit is not destroyed at end game, if the crew's side control the battlefield (win basically) then only the damage gets credited. If the crews side did not win, the vehicle is shown as "destroyed" and full points are credited.

So the crew can sometimes hold the remaining value of the unit they bailed from. Thus it is worth the other side killing them, occupying abandoned units hexes etc.

If the crew are survivors of a destroyed unit, they have no points value other than perhaps a point or 2 for any men killed subsequently, and an extra kill marker if eliminated. But in a campaign game, they retain the destroyed units experience, kills etc so will get a new ride in the repair screen, but a fully dead unit (including crew) is a newbie. In a 2-human campaign game killing his veterans is worth the bother. The AI just gets fresh newbies in a regular campaign.

Its not really worth obsessing about exact details, just win the battle and you will get the points for any abandoned units that the other side did not re-crew.

Killing stray crews is a low priority task and you should focus on the live units.

Parking a unit in the same hex as enemy abandoned units to "make sure" of them is probably worth it, if it does not risk the parked friendly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old December 18th, 2017, 09:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
No

If a crew bails from a vehicle that is damaged but not destroyed then the points the player who inflicted the damage gets is guaranteed to be the damage points inflicted. I think its shown on the roster - not something I check often.

If he then kills the crew somehow, he is guaranteed the full value.
If he parks a unit in the abandoned vehicle or guns hex, it gets fully destroyed so guaranteed full credit of points.
If the crew bail but the unit is not destroyed at end game, if the crew's side control the battlefield (win basically) then only the damage gets credited. If the crews side did not win, the vehicle is shown as "destroyed" and full points are credited.
No big deal, it rarely if ever affects battle results, but even after fulfilling all the above conditions I'm not getting the full points. While the unit is marked as "Destroyed" on the battle map and in the unit roster, the points awarded are apparently only casualties inflicted on the crew. This affects abandoned artillery, including ATGs and flak, as well as vehicles.

Here's a screenshot from a recent WW2 Russia vs Germany long campaign battle (#14 of 40). Note that unit BR3, a PzKw III L tank, is listed as destroyed but only awards 1 point!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battle Results SP #14.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	15065  
Old December 18th, 2017, 11:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

What did it cost to fix it when you got to the rebuild screen and was it destroyed...burning....in the game?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old December 19th, 2017, 04:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

Germany was/is Player #2 in the campaign. The Russian player (me) hasn't been getting full points for abandoned enemy vehicles and arty pieces. Here's the last-turn save (slot 52) for battle #14; hit the end-turn button, wait for the German inter-turn to finish and it goes to the Battle Results Screen. There you can see one other tank (AA0) marked destroyed but not giving full points (there were no abandoned German arty in this delay battle since I wasn't firing CB):
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Saved Games.7z (285.2 KB, 415 views)

Last edited by jivemi; December 19th, 2017 at 05:03 AM..
Old December 19th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK, We'll take a look

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old December 19th, 2017, 02:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Do you recall if that AA0 unit spat out a crew or not.....I know it's a lot to remember but if you do it might help.