.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Corporal

rsolow is on a distinguished road
Default Where to build Temples????

Putting aside the question of wanting to recruit priests, where should I build temples?

If, for example, I have my maximum dominion in Province-A and also have maximum dominion in all surrounding provinces, as I understand the dominion spread rules there is no advantage to putting a temple in Province-A (b/c temple-check dominion spread can only effect the province in which the temple is place or 1 of the surrounding provinces).

Thus, if I am trying to combat the dominion spread of my opponents, I should build my temples near the front lines or in provinces with opposition dominion?

Do I have this right?
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to build Temples????

Quote:
rsolow said:
If, for example, I have my maximum dominion in Province-A and also have maximum dominion in all surrounding provinces, as I understand the dominion spread rules there is no advantage to putting a temple in Province-A (b/c temple-check dominion spread can only effect the province in which the temple is place or 1 of the surrounding provinces).
Successful temple checks result in "Dominion blobs" which wander around unless they find a place to settle, i.e. a province with low or enemy dominion. This could be several provinces away .. . At least thats was the programmer told when I asked how in Dom2 my dominion could spread into a province 5(!) hops away from my border ....
AFAIK, the dominion system has not been changed in Dom3.

Quote:
Thus, if I am trying to combat the dominion spread of my opponents, I should build my temples near the front lines or in provinces with opposition dominion?
Yes, nevertheless: If you build all your temple into the center of your empire, you'll have max dominion there first, and only after all provinces are "filled up" the dominions will really spread into enemy provinces. With a temple at the border, there's at least a chance the "dominion blob" travels into an enemy province, so that you get a chance of increasing your dominion there now, instead of 20 turns later when your mainland is 'overflowing' ...
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:45 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

you also increase your maximum dominion by 1 per 5 temples you build. Aside from the obvious, that also lets you recruit more sacred units / turn. IF you have dominion strength 10, and enough temple, you can even recruit more than 10 sacreds a turn. That can be very usefull for some cheap bless troops (flagelants come to mind)
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

As to where:
I always try to build a temple where it will give me access to a new recruitable unit
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:49 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Ironically, this max. dominion increase also means on the turn you add that fifth temple (or the turn after, depending on the turn order - too lazy to check), your dominion spread will slow down until dominion in your maxed-out provinces catches up with the new maximum. This should be most perceptible if your maximum dominion is low, as the probability of a temple check increasing local friendly dominion is (30-3x current dom)%.
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:04 AM

Corporal

Tortanick is on a distinguished road

Build temples on every province. Thats what I do.
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:21 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

That works pretty well in SP, where the AI will let you get away with it, and will waste lots of gems casting single raiding spells on your province, where they will be destroyed by an 11PD (I recently had Caelum "declare war on my unholy nation", and watched as they started casting multiple Call of the Wind for the next several turns - only they only cast one per province, and I never lost a single one). This is extremely efficient against the AI - which is very bad at dealing with dominion war.

In MP (at least in Dom2 - I haven't started playing MP in Dom3 yet), you won't be able to do that. If you start, you will spend a lot of gold, and end up drowning in raids.