.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

View Poll Results: How you you feel about the nationalized OOB's ?
I like things just the way they are 40 47.62%
I'd be happier if at least the formation names were in English 22 26.19%
I'd be even happier if the formation names and the unit names were in English 22 26.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:11 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Nationalized" OOB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross
Would it be possible to sort the OOB into:

Companies
Platoons
Sections

Perhaps by separating them with headings. 'Companies' at the top, then scroll a page or two and see 'Platoons'; so people will instantly know what formation they are looking at.
2 Schools of thought but OOBs are generally sorted in same structure so infantry starts with Paras then runs through ending in sections. Armour starts with armored cars etc.
Admitedly a few things have gone walkies probably due to the amount of revisions things like taking German Heavy AC at bottom but generally things are arranged Company Platoon Section for armour & same for infantry but with sections lumped at the end as tend to be diffrent unit types.

I like the format of Co then platoon as I can buy the company then quickly sell 1 platoon & buy the same type of unit with diffrent equipment, say 1 platoon with Panzerfausts or 60m Mortars for instance.
While it would be nice if all OOBs were uniform I feel this is a huge job & not really sure how works but may need the pick list revised.
As said they generally follow a patern its just the odd formation that has migrated & hence needs hunting down.
There are so many diffrent ways to organise it you are not going to please everyone but I must admit my main reason for wanting English formations is to hunt down those that are out of place. FOO vehicles in MISC, Light SPAA in ARMOUR not ARTY or the odd Platoon that is not listed after its company.
Could probably run a search to find whats out of place if sorting is not a big headache.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM

Private

Nitro Cruiser is on a distinguished road

The problem with native language OOB's seems to be during purchasing phase. It seems that most everyone likes the "flavor" that Nationalized OOB's offer. I might have a solution.

On the main buy screen you have your main categories - Armor, Infantry, Artillery, etc. What if when you clicked on one of these buttons a sub-group page opened. For instance click Armor, the next page would have Main battle Tanks, CS, TD's, Mine Clearing, etc. When you click on one of the sub group buttons the choices are there for that portion of the OOB just as they are now, but only items from that sub-group. When you buy and are finished with a particular piece(s) of equipment, it takes you back to the sub-group menu. If you're finished, click a main buy page button and your back to choose another category or finish.

I think this would simplify and quicken buying troops and equipment listed in their native language. Making it easier for us English only guys. Plus it probably wouldn't be too hard to implement, just assign the particular OOB numbers range to the corresponding sub-group button. Just my two cents.
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Corporal

Richard_H is on a distinguished road

There are plenty of visual clues in the Buy screens without needing to understand the language, surely? So please please keep as is - if not translate a few more. If everything were translated into English, not only would you lose the flavour but you would also hit a potential anomaly in the play screens, when you'd get for example "Infantry Squad fires on Infantry Squad", and if you've got a big battle going on, you're left wondering whether that's your support unit, or enemy return fire.
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:29 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

I prefer the native language to search for units in the web, but I think in the case of the Chinese are not going to write the character oobs in Mandarin. I think there are more difficult languages. Perhaps in the most difficult languages they can add to an abbreviation in English units on the drive type (although I speak Spanish)
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Corporal

glaude1955 is on a distinguished road
Medal Re: "Nationalized" OOB's

Je préfère les noms dans la langue d'origine. Meilleure immersion même si c'est quelques fois dur Ã* comprendre.

I prefer the names in the original langage. Best Immersion albeit sometimes hard to understand

Yves
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:17 AM

Private

Panzermeyer is on a distinguished road

IMO, the foreign languages in the OOBs just makes it more difficult to select units without adding any enjoyment of the game. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure others feel differently.
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:58 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
IMO, the foreign languages in the OOBs just makes it more difficult to select units without adding any enjoyment of the game. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure others feel differently.
I don't think so, it's easy to understand what you're buying after a look around the oob, also note that there are images to help you out
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:21 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

I like the historical touch with "nationalised" names. Was thinking of changing formation and unit names in Czechoslovakia OOB to Czech, but then nobody else will understand
OTOH inexperienced players might be confused... An idea struck me (though it would be a strain on The Developpers - but OTOH it might be outsourced) - include English equivalents in Encyclopaedia texts (or conversely use English in game and Encyclopaedia for original names) - will try to make a short demo in the weekend and upload it here.
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:30 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Add in the unit and formation info(green text) a note on what is that should work.
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Promised demoversion is here. done ca. first 100 formations in Czechoslovakian OOB (037) - just formation names, in czech and English, nothing fancy, just to demonstrate the concept.
Actually spent more time by recalling how to set up the text splitting software than writing it

To install, just unpack .txt files into your Game Data/Text folders, tried to make sure that Ido not overwrite any original text files so should not affect the game at all (except, of course, adding some texts ).
Attached Files
File Type: zip ft037_demo.zip (14.2 KB, 66 views)