.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old March 17th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Corporal

moodgiesanta is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nation Mod Release: Gollarn

I think the mod overall looks very cool. It is extremely unique. Just here to say it is very cool. Also, there are two "and"s in the Giant Bat Rider text right next to eachother.

The Depth Mind is, by the way, in my opinion one of the coolest pretender ideas ever, mod or not.

EDIT: Also, the Clayformer, in my opinion, ought to be capital only. In a Faerun game or similarly large map, a hugh gold income + some castles = massive gem income. Plus, you can convert earth gems directly to gold, so you can explosively grow your earth gem income after a time.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:14 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
moodgiesanta said:
Plus, you can convert earth gems directly to gold, so you can explosively grow your earth gem income after a time.
This is only true if you've found an alchemist site, or have the alchemist's stone, as a gold cost of 400 means that their upkeep is 13.3, which is 3.3 more than the 10 gold you get from each earth gem.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road

One could also look at it as reverse alchemy 13.3 gold to 1 gem (less research/casting abilities of course). I agree with the cap-only restriction. Their usefulness is extraordinary--no one else has such a thing, so it should probably be confined to a single province.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
moodgiesanta said:
I think the mod overall looks very cool. It is extremely unique. Just here to say it is very cool. Also, there are two "and"s in the Giant Bat Rider text right next to eachother.

The Depth Mind is, by the way, in my opinion one of the coolest pretender ideas ever, mod or not.

EDIT: Also, the Clayformer, in my opinion, ought to be capital only. In a Faerun game or similarly large map, a hugh gold income + some castles = massive gem income. Plus, you can convert earth gems directly to gold, so you can explosively grow your earth gem income after a time.
Thanks for the feedback, from everyone's comments here is what I'm thinking for the next version:

*Depth Diver again sacred, possibly a cost increase to go with it.

*Switch clayformer and watcher of the depths capital only status.

*Possibly change watcher of the depths paths to 2E1S1B and
two linked sorcery randoms.

*Make Raider 9 gold.

*Fix bugs and typos.

BTW, anyone who can't make the attachment work, send me a PM and I will E-mail them the file.

EDIT: I updated the attachment with the changes.
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:13 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Great mod.
Very innovative and unique.
I immediatly fell in love with the depth mind. very very cool :
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

Great mod, great feel! Truly original. Nice!

- I think this would be thematically even cooler: Let the burrower be able to burrow underground: it could have stealth 30 (that is: never be found, basically, except by freak chance); however, reduce their protection down to 6 or 8 at most -- they dont wear armor (obviously!), because not only is it nearly impossible to armor such a beast but because when burrowing, they would whiddle it away in moments. Give it 70 HP or so. Reduce Morale to 14. I think they should cost a bit more. You could even do this: "When these beasts become seriously injured, they return to their underground caverns to nurse their wounds in the darkness, contemplating their revenge upon the creatures of light." -- in other words, they could have recuperation (when stealthy, which doesnt work currently, but you get the idea). Ideally I could also picture them as blind, but with a new weapon, Worm Bite, which has decent attack to make up for that.
- The assassin needs to have stealth 10 or 15 maximum
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
tinkthank said:

- I think this would be thematically even cooler: Let the burrower be able to burrow underground: it could have stealth 30 (that is: never be found, basically, except by freak chance); however, reduce their protection down to 6 or 8 at most -- they dont wear armor (obviously!), because not only is it nearly impossible to armor such a beast but because when burrowing, they would whiddle it away in moments. Give it 70 HP or so. Reduce Morale to 14. I think they should cost a bit more. You could even do this: "When these beasts become seriously injured, they return to their underground caverns to nurse their wounds in the darkness, contemplating their revenge upon the creatures of light." -- in other words, they could have recuperation (when stealthy, which doesnt work currently, but you get the idea). Ideally I could also picture them as blind, but with a new weapon, Worm Bite, which has decent attack to make up for that.
Maybe I could make it two units, a burrower with armour plates for war (like the current one), and one more like the wild burrowers you describe. One problem with your burrower design though, they need a 30 stealth commander to make use of the stealth (and you already didn't like the master hunter's stealth...). Also, I feel they might end up competing with, rather than complementing the current gollarn stealth forces.

@izaqyos: Thanks
Old March 18th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
Quote:
tinkthank said:

Maybe I could make it two units, a burrower with armour plates for war (like the current one), and one more like the wild burrowers you describe. One problem with your burrower design though, they need a 30 stealth commander to make use of the stealth (and you already didn't like the master hunter's stealth...). Also, I feel they might end up competing with, rather than complementing the current gollarn stealth forces.

First of all, sorry: I should have said that I imagine the Burrower to be a *commander* (with 0 leadership and 0 slots, like the Vastness), I imagine single pricey huge lurking underground beasts burrowing around, lonesome and strange.
I didnt like the Assassin's 30 stealth only because he is an assassin. The Worm, when Burrowed, won't be doing anything but recuperating, lurking, or eating rocks; he wont be killing people.
I love the idea of a burrower, but since dom2 doesnt support a WarcraftIII-like "Burrow" command (quelle surprise!), I think giving it high stealth would be the next best thing.

Anyhow, it is YOUR mod, so you do what YOU want! (I just thought this would be a spicy enhancement to your already excellent idea, and anyhow I cannot imagine putting armor of any kind on a 90 foot burrowing worm.)
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
tinkthank said:

First of all, sorry: I should have said that I imagine the Burrower to be a *commander* (with 0 leadership and 0 slots, like the Vastness), I imagine single pricey huge lurking underground beasts burrowing around, lonesome and strange.
I didnt like the Assassin's 30 stealth only because he is an assassin. The Worm, when Burrowed, won't be doing anything but recuperating, lurking, or eating rocks; he wont be killing people.
I love the idea of a burrower, but since dom2 doesnt support a WarcraftIII-like "Burrow" command (quelle surprise!), I think giving it high stealth would be the next best thing.

Anyhow, it is YOUR mod, so you do what YOU want! (I just thought this would be a spicy enhancement to your already excellent idea, and anyhow I cannot imagine putting armor of any kind on a 90 foot burrowing worm.)
Ah, now I see what you're suggesting. That could work, though I had already imagined that the burrowers were quite simple minded and not really capable of doing anything useful on their own. Maybe I would add a different burrowing creature to fit the niche. As for the armour, since there are many very large creatures leaving bones in the caverns, I assumed finding some to plate the burrower in would not be that hard (also the high resource cost accounts for this, though I could make it 100 or something, and lower the gold price). The assassin is only +25 stealth, but I will think about taking it down to 15-20. Anyway, thanks for your input.
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

Scott Hebert is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to comment...

WOW Enslave Mind is a hoot. I think those commanders are rather undercosted.

I'm kind of 'meh' on the rest of it, though... their troops aren't exactly the best in the world.