.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old June 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM

Corporal

Calchet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pax Malazica.

I have no expectations to see the mod "played a lot in MP etc", though I do want to make it as good and balanced as I can with what little ability I have.

As the first post shows, the focus is currently completely on the LA nation, and only once it is complete and has reached a level of polish I can be satisfied with will I move on to others.
(If you want to see it get there faster, I gladly accept all contributions, be they in the form of ideas, suggestions and answers to questions I have, or even unit art and such.)
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

no reason not too use Ben then.. he's famous for having all paths...
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Just to add more thematic flavour, the T'lann Imass might make a good sacred, immortal summon-not particularly devastating, except in large numbers, and hampered by Undead tag, but with high mobility/flying. This already has precedent, since the first Malazan emperor had some T'lann Imass under his control.

The Fokrul Assail might make another interesting, mid to high level summon, especially if they are an uncontrolled, distance summon. Perhaps for the firstform, appearing as a massive sealed tomb-hard to destroy, immobile-that, when finally destroyed-preferrably by independents or your enemies, when you're not around, transforms into the Assail, an engine of death (100% regeneration, multiple attacks combined with quickness, high strength) who attacks both friend and foe.

The Jaghut, with their time immobility/stasis powers, and stealthiness, might be fun to see in the game, since they could be made unique from all the other "giants" in the game. I don't really see them being a summons though, maybe a multihero?

And remember that the Crippled God was basically a Summons that went a bit wrong-so maybe a very high level blood summons? Unique, ofcourse.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Lieutenant General

Nice idea's Honey, I see the Jaghut not really in the empire though.. just like the Forkul and the hounds more as a distant summon for neutrals to take and hold an enemy province.

The T'llann as sacred immortal summon rocks though.. it also fits nicely with the new discussion on high end summons..
a summon of say 30 immortal units (thug level but no slots) with a leader (thuglevel) and undead sounds nice.
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM

General

I don't see the Jaghut race as part of the Empire either, but maybe in the role of a free agent, or mercenary that, individually, has ties? And they'd certainly be likely to take shelter where they could find it, against the T'lann Imass...That's why I suggested them as a possible multi-hero, because occasionally one *might* show up to help you out-most likely out of their own motivations, as much or more than to serve the newly awakened Pretender.
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Corporal

The T'lan Imass will not be included in the initial mod: it's the Malazan Empire at the time of Laseen, after all - not Kellanved. National spells will be probably be limited to one or two related to the Imperial Warren.

For similar reasons, none of the named Bridgeburners will be taking part - they are a remnant of the old guard, and will at most be included as a generic "Bridgeburner Veteran" multihero.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:22 AM

Corporal

Well, I'm back after summer, and with a first released version! (Attached to the first post.)

Know that it is rough and completely devoid of graphics, but it should still be a playable nation.

You can probably spot at least ten glaring balance issues after five minutes, and that's awesome, because I want to know about them.

As always, all comments and suggestions are welcome.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM

Lieutenant General

I've not tried but how can it be playable without graphs?
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:18 PM

General

One can always use graphics as placeholders. DrPraetorius created some very fine mods that lacked real graphics.
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Private

Attle is on a distinguished road

I am currently trying this mod out in SP and one thing that stands out is the lack of decent PD. I only get militias at 30 PD which is very poor. It can't stop anything.
Other than that I haven't found anything really worrying, maybe the troops are a bit expensive but that can be countered with proper scales.
What I really like is the sappers and the Claw, they are awesome! Though I think the Claw could get a boost statwise. C'mon, they are Claw! The sappers should also get a bonus when sieging.
My next plan is to have a squad of Claws port in on my enemy's capitol and wreck havoc with their awesome astral magic!
I shall play some more and try to come up with some useful info, but so far it looks like a really fun and promising mod. The sapper/marine combo holds quite some potential for MP, as does the versatility of the mages.
Really looking forward to when you implement some of the heroes.