BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old November 5th, 2015, 12:32 AM

Private

Champagne is on a distinguished road
Default Detailed examples of Pen/Arm combat calculations

Is there any source or document anywhere that provides detailed examples or explanations of exactly how the combat sequences are calculated?

Thanks.
Old November 5th, 2015, 12:25 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Detailed examples of Pen/Arm combat calculations

None whatsoever - since that is part of the SSI "trade secrets" that we are not permitted to divulge due to the NDA we signed when we got the code.

The only "documeent" would be releasing the code, since its not a simple formula or step tables like the old Avalon Hill games of yore. You would have to manually trace through the routines and subroutines. But that is nt going to happen.

So if you need to see what AP values a particular gun gives then see WW2 APCalc in your game root folder - that samples 1000 shots per range cell and averages the results, with the best achieved of each 1000 shown.

cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old November 5th, 2015, 08:50 PM

Private

Andy, thanks for your time. I have looked at the calculator that came with the CD version of the game that I just bought.

I'm not interested in causing anyone from Shrapnel to violate any NDA, and, I don't believe that my questions will do so. Of course, you are the final judge of that.

Could you elaborate on this statement please? I don't understand what you mean by the word "cell"?

" that samples 1000 shots per range cell and averages the results, with the best achieved of each 1000 shown. "

And also elaborate, perhaps with an example. Take the early WW2 British 2 pounder AT gun. That would provide a clear example.
Old November 5th, 2015, 08:58 PM

Private

The Calculator chart has a category called "best HE" next to the "HE" column. Can you tell us about that?

I know from some text docs in the game that a shot will Penetrate the Armor if the shot's value is equal or more than the Armor value. So, that tidbit is provided to us already. Anything you can add to this would be valuable.

I note on the screen during Pen/Arm calculations that the phrase "weak point" appears occasionally. I presume that this is some kind of random event that indicates a Critical Hit and the Pen value gets a + 3 or so. Anything you can add to this would be valuable.

Are there any other kinds of random events that cause enhanced or degraded Pen values that you could tell us about? Thanks.

Finally, I have Webroot AV and every time I navigate over to the Shrapnel forums page, I get a big red warning that this website address has malware. I don't know why this happens. I haven't noticed anything unusual about this website, other than the fact that it's unusually good.
Old November 5th, 2015, 09:07 PM

Private

Aw, Nuts, Andy. I can't figure out how to use the AP Calculator and the Armor Calculator to calculate anything. Are there any instructions somewhere?

Here's what I figured out so far: the British 2 pdr gun firing AP at 500 meters has a Pen value of 5.

For Armor Calculator: Armor of 100mm at an angle/slope of 45 degrees resists hits the same as 141mm at zero degrees slope/angle.

Is there more to it than this? I suspect I've missed something. Thanks for the help.
Old November 5th, 2015, 09:15 PM

Private

Andy, the "edit" function isn't working for me today, so, I've had to use new messages instead of edits.

After we use the Arm Calc to figure out that our Armor value is 141mm at O deg slope, is there a way for us to figure out the game's Armor value number? Is it "8" for example? (that's just a guess)

Thanks a million.
Old November 5th, 2015, 09:52 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne View Post
Andy, the "edit" function isn't working for me today, so, I've had to use new messages instead of edits.

After we use the Arm Calc to figure out that our Armor value is 141mm at O deg slope, is there a way for us to figure out the game's Armor value number? Is it "8" for example? (that's just a guess)

Thanks a million.
No, it's 14. I re read the text file and a value of 141mm at zero deg equals a game Arm value of 14. If the value was 145mm we round up to a game Arm value of 15.
Old November 5th, 2015, 09:55 PM

Private

Quote:
Aw, Nuts, Andy. I can't figure out how to use the AP Calculator and the Armor Calculator to calculate anything. Are there any instructions somewhere?

Here's what I figured out so far: the British 2 pdr gun firing AP at 500 meters has a Pen value of 5.

For Armor Calculator: Armor of 100mm at an angle/slope of 45 degrees resists hits the same as 141mm at zero degrees slope/angle.

Is there more to it than this? I suspect I've missed something. Thanks for the help.
The instructions are in txt files which I re read again to try to figure it out. The Armor Calculator is interactive and actually calculates. I can't figure out whether the Armor Piercing Calculator is a chart only or actually calculates numbers.
Old November 5th, 2015, 10:10 PM

Private

Quote:
The Calculator chart has a category called "best HE" next to the "HE" column. Can you tell us about that?

I know from some text docs in the game that a shot will Penetrate the Armor if the shot's value is equal or more than the Armor value. So, that tidbit is provided to us already. Anything you can add to this would be valuable.

I note on the screen during Pen/Arm calculations that the phrase "weak point" appears occasionally. I presume that this is some kind of random event that indicates a Critical Hit and the Pen value gets a + 3 or so. Anything you can add to this would be valuable.

Are there any other kinds of random events that cause enhanced or degraded Pen values that you could tell us about? Thanks.

Finally, I have Webroot AV and every time I navigate over to the Shrapnel forums page, I get a big red warning that this website address has malware. I don't know why this happens. I haven't noticed anything unusual about this website, other than the fact that it's unusually good.
Best HE is explained in the txt file. The other questions stand.
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:39 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Read the AP Calc & Armor Calc help files in your game folder.
Weak point critical hits are included in that.
Armor Calc is only needed if you are making a new unit & have its information.

AP Calc lists the average & best possible penetration for that weapon ammo.