Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old August 24th, 2006, 10:01 PM

First Lieutenant

Possum is on a distinguished road
Default Hot (Taft)! A few thoughts on Shady O\'Grady\'s

OK, from the top

1. Major, major kudos to Shrapnel and Gilligames for coming up with this idea. This is what I call seriously original, wildly out-of-the-box thinking.

2. I'm definitely going to buy it. edit: I just ordered it

3. The press release was (clinton)ing-A hysterical I laughed well-nigh to the point of incontinence. Howlingly funny parody of the idiocy of the "music scene".

4. Ok, I left this for last.

Forgive me, but. I don't see how you can possibly really do this right. Now, don't lose sight of #2 above, please, but...

If it doesn't include the drugs and groupies, how can it be "real"? And if it does include the drugs and groupies, well, it just can't. There's no way. Everyone from Jack Thompson to the PTA to your accountant would raise a (Taft) storm of (Clinton)ing huge proportions.

It's a sad fact that there are some games one simply cannot make. Years ago when playing the first Rainbow Six game, I found myself thinking, "Oh, (Clinton) this (Taft), I want to plan and execute missions as the terrorists!".

But of course, there is no way anybody would be allowed to make a game or even a mod on such a subject. The public hate and hysteria (not to mention government attention) focused on anybody who was foolish enough to try would make their life a living (hot place where bad people go when they die).

5. Will Shady O'Grady's be moddable?
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:41 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hot (Taft)! A few thoughts on Shady O\'Grady\'s

It isnt just rock. Its also blues, folk, pop, country, etc etc. Not saying that such things dont happen there also but it no longer becomes a "must have for reality" problem
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 25th, 2006, 01:06 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
It isnt just rock. Its also blues, folk, pop, country, etc etc. Not saying that such things dont happen there also but it no longer becomes a "must have for reality" problem
(blink)

You know, I had typed a long reply here, but it occurred to me that I was probably skirting the edges of the forum rules by even bringing up the topic of controlled substances.

So, let's just say I'm sure it'll be a fun game, and I'm looking forward to it.
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Possum, you should see the SE4 forums... given that Shrapnel no longer publishes SE4, there's a lot of off-topic discussion there, much of it involving sex, drugs, politics, and religion... I doubt you'd break any rules by bringing that stuff up here; the moderators are pretty open minded
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM

First Lieutenant

Ah, well, better safe than sorry.

There's just so much negative media attention focused on the gaming world right now. I can imagine how it might possibly motivate a small game company to be very cautious about allowing comments in its forums which might seem alarming if taken out of context.

And people like Jack Thompson are not at all shy about taking things out of context
Old August 25th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

Gillissie is on a distinguished road

Hi Possum,

Thanks for speaking up about the game, and specifically about the subject of sex & drugs. My original design was to include that stuff. It really presented some great options for what could happen in the game as a result of doing those things. Trust me, I didn't exclude them because of any pressure from anyone, including Shrapnel Games. I simply didn't add them because the game ended up with so many other features that I felt like it would be gratuitous. Also, I know that a lot of people are interested in music that have no interest in that stuff. Obviously, in the real world sex & drugs are intertwined with the music scene, but they aren't "required" in order to make good music.

Those are the reasons they aren't in the game. However, I like seeing feedback like yours, because if a lot of people feel like it's a critical missing element, I'll know exactly what to add in the sequel.

P.S. Thanks for ordering it!

Oh yeah, the game is very moddable.