.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Corporal

PyroStock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Build Your SC Arena Competition!

Quote:
Shovah32 said:
Raise dead raises the 15 health soulless, not raise skeletons.
True, regardless you can see I have 3 15 health soulless from the wraith crown when I faced the Void Lord. Once the Void Lord casted Phoenix Pyre those 15 health soulless were far from my caster and the 8 health imps were out so I was safe from an "Attack Largest" assault.

Quote:
I don't think phoenix pyre is fire damage, either.
At the time I wasn't certain & there were other fire/element dangers. Phoenix Pyre is probably just physical, but I doubt it's AN. The mechanical man was only hit for 2damage thanks to the 18protection... compare that 18protection with the protection of a lich, crone or divine emperor and ask who would have survived that and of those who survived who would not have fled before/after.

The fact the mechanical man was also strange, amusing and considered ballzy is just frosting on the cake.
Old December 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Aezeal said:
please let a few people run this 10 times eacht with different player numbers for the combatants (to change for starts etc?)
This would be interesting for both arena competitions.

A rematch could very well humble the imperious leader (mechanical man), particularly if he was the attacker facing some of the clever builds here. It might also give my djinn a better showing with his gifts from heaven.
Old December 25th, 2007, 02:34 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PyroStock said:
Quote:
Aezeal said:
please let a few people run this 10 times eacht with different player numbers for the combatants (to change for starts etc?)
This would be interesting for both arena competitions.

A rematch could very well humble the imperious leader (mechanical man), particularly if he was the attacker facing some of the clever builds here. It might also give my djinn a better showing with his gifts from heaven.
Yes you were very lucky(as usual) to always be the defender for battles. Lots of bad luck variables resulted in my SC going down in the second battle. First I was the attacker, second I was facing a non buffing SC, third the first round of combat the non buffing SC was lucky enough to find my SC hiding amongst the skelletons.
If any one of those variables would have been different it would have provided my SC with one round... which is all he needs for his mass imp spamming.
Old December 25th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Corporal

For the first battle, being the defender was flip-a-coin lucky (50%) since I unfortunately had no decoys until the imps were out. Hadrian's Tartarian with an immediate attack also fought the crone earlier who had one 15life decoy, but the decoy was in the same square as the 13life crone. That square for the "attack largest" Tartarian was a giant bullseye among 5hp units.

For the mechanical man's second battle, I doubt being the attacker would have changed anything. The mechanical man gave me the edge that the divine emperor lacked against the soul devourer earlier.

For the third battle, the mechanical man killed the void lord so he didn't win because of the 50turn rule. Against that 5fear SC who was eating imps for life/vigor I would rather be an attacking mechanical man vulnerable to the 50turn rule than a defending lich, divine emperor or crone vulnerable to phoenix pyre and cowardice several times well before 50turns.

The last battle I lost and being the defender only made the AI cast a useless terror spell before his death.
Old December 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WraithLord said:
Quote:
PyroStock said:

Wraithlord's Touch of Madness didn't work because that spell requires 3N and he had no nature gems.

Wow, thank you! At last a touch of reason in this madness.
Touch of Madness is an N3 spell with 30 Fatigue. So, no gems required.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old December 25th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Luck doth matter -- a lot.

A Devourer of Souls build, for instance, is all about luck. If he hits the right target fast, he wins... but that's far from guaranteed, and the lack of slots hurts his long-term life expectancy. Gifts from Heaven is similar... *if* it hits, it hurts.

Incidentally, if Phoenix Pyre actually worked well for multi-shape units, I would have considered going with a Phoenix Pyre'd Daughter of Typhon, just for amusement value. But some testing suggests that the reappearance is lost once you lose a form.
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

Maybe he only had N2?
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:54 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
vfb said:
Touch of Madness is an N3 spell with 30 Fatigue. So, no gems required.
Quote:
Shovah32 said:
Maybe he only had N2?
Doh! You are right. Please ignore my post.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?