World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old December 7th, 2016, 08:44 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bug? AAA fire from emplacements

The list of things you posted into an irrelevant thread in another forum should have given you a clue.

One of the most important characteristics of a unit is the Unit Class. It is the first thing one should look at, if comparing items.

One of that list was a particular unit class, the rest are not. Both were of the fortress types (there are 2 in WW2, one in MBT). But - different unit classes may do things differently. Like preferring to hold AAA fire till closer.

Fortification <> Bunker.

And, as pointed out previously - neither of the 2 fortification unit classes is a primary AAA unit, so they will only fire in self defence generally. AAA units will generally try to fire at the first opportunity. If your scenario is an assault/defend pair then any defending flak get dug in in an emplacement for "free".
Old December 7th, 2016, 08:59 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Oh yes - fortification armour is not steel armour.

Forts are assumed by the game to be concrete logs, whatever. They are semi-permeable to all HE fire, the larger the armour value, the less so. The larger the HE Warhead size, the more so. The steel value is only relevant if firing at them with AP, Sabot, HEAT - i.e. anti-tank ammo.

Feel free to set up a test scenario with some riflemen shooting up a fort or bunker (outside range of any AT weapons they may have - the AT weapons do different effect as mentioned). Eventually they will start to get casualties on the fort's crew. Especially when the hit chance rises. Don't complain about it - that is an original SSI game design decision and it's been baked into the code from SP1 days.

The fortification classes were never meant to be flak towers. That some of the OOB designers decided to make some AA equipped is their own design decision. They are only armed for local AA defence.
Old December 8th, 2016, 02:40 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

1) In most cases a dug in AAA unit especially if its in good protective terrain like rough has much more chance of surviving than a fortified one. As said attacking with standard infantry weapons is slow so just get any sort of AT weapon in range. Generally not worth attacking if you moved wait till next turn, more accurate more chance of a kill or damage as you hit a vulnerable spot like the vision slit or door.

2) Things that effect in particular accuracy & hence range for AAA fire by guns machineguns etc.
One of the few units where I will check that I have not bought a lemon in WWll

Experience - not a lot you can do as normal the higher the better.
Unit characteristics - weapon accuracy & range, firecontrol & rangefinder.
The higher these are the better as your hit chance will improve & hence the initial range the gun wiil engage increases.
Target - targets size makes it easier or harder to hit & its speed effects how often it is shot at.
A large slow target is easier to hit & if it stays in range will be fired at more frequently in its move with the increased chance to hit it as its acquired. Put another way unsurprisingly small fast planes are harder to hit than big slow ones.
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:31 AM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road

Well I see the value of repeating what I do, the USMC 1.1 emplacement long range shooting was a fluke it does happen but only very occasionally. I will be more thorough in future. I am learning.
I lined up 4 dug-in twin 25mm AA and 4 emplaced twin 25mm AA and shot at them from 150m with 30 cal MGs. In 2 turns the 4 dug in AA were destroyed in 4 turns the 4 gun emplacements were undamaged.
So a dug in AA gun is not a substitute for an emplaced AA it is much more vulnerable because the turret armour is 0 while the emplacement turret armour is 1.
So the emplaced units are very valuable when the enemy has air superiority, because they are much harder to destroy.
Maybe change fortification class so it fires at greater ranges and put all the AA into that class and put non AA units from fortification into bunker class?
For the Marine and German OOB the bunker class is empty.