.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old February 15th, 2014, 06:36 PM

Sergeant

Dion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My greatest victory

One time I played as the US Army, against Iraq in the desert, and I didn't lose one single soldier, not a single artillery piece, not a single soft vehicle, not a single APC, not a single AFV, not a single helicopter or trnsport, not even a single aircraft. Not a single anything. Didn't even have to mobilize all my units. A turkey shoot in the desert. My greatest victory. Though it was against the A.I. My greatest victory against a human opponet would had been back in the DOS days. Can only remember that one vaguely, though I remember getting a sh!t load of artillery real cheap, then I preceded to plaster my opponet who was trapped in a mine field which was shapped like a eagle.
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:11 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

His bad for not discussing Arty limits
Old February 16th, 2014, 01:00 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Meh - in SP3 for S&Gs I defended by laying out a minefield that went up and down the map several times, making a single entry point and exit point of a snaking maze that went up and down the map 3 or 4 times.

The AI horde predictably went for the gap and then promenaded up and down the alleyways, which I pounded with arty (gold spots plotted, old SSI code that where you adjusted was what it fell on without any target movement allowed).

Carnage for him - since in SP3 a "track hit" eliminated one of the several vehicles in a "platoon" icon as there was no way to leave sub-wrecks behind - so 60mm mortars were probably the most cost-effective anti-tank weapon in that game - Tiger 2 or M1A1 were equally dead to them!

Just did that the once, though. SP3 did not last long on my hard drive post the closing of the SSI beta test team (which I was on). I did get a free boxed version of it post release - gave it away to someone's kid as I recall.

The other "killer gamey" tactic for SP3 was that you soon figured out that the AI in the attack laid its predictable phalanx exactly 1-2 hexes behind its deployment line, somewhere in the centre of the map - so a pre-game bombardment on that area was always extremely effective.

It always left its flanks undefended as well, so running scout cars down the unguarded flanks soon dealt with its arty park and flak batteries.

Also, it stuffed any captured objectives with leg grunts, in order to "defend" these - so applying arty to flipped objectives was a standard operating procedure.

SP3 was really not the best version of SP that SSI produced. Though perhaps a conversion of it to WW1 would have made more sense as it really was an arty is the king of the battlefield sort of game.

Andy