.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Closed Thread

Old July 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dominions 3000 (tentative name)

Oooh! The new patch will include the feature to set water-shapes for units. So you can have space-suited versions of units. For some they might be more powerful, like Aezeal says. For others they might be inactive. Perhaps bio-creatures change into chrysalids/spores in space, so they can't actually fight. Or humans might just be in little shuttle-pods, again unable to effectively fight.

That would be very cool.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:17 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

posts with Like Aezeal says are are good.. listen to them
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old July 31st, 2008, 06:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

Darkwind is on a distinguished road

Well, I guess we might as well figure out what's going to happen. All of these methods of troop transport through space sound good, really. Which one should we use?

Also, how will we divide work (or will one person basically do everything)? What will we be aiming to do first, second, third, etc.? What should we aim for in the first playable version (the full thing, or the bare bones, or something in between)? Have we even discussed the specifics of most things? Will these questions ever end?!
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:37 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

If you have any modding questions, just stick them up in the thread and more experienced modders will answer.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:22 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I think the first thing to do would be to brainstorm as many nation ideas as possible, and start narrowing them down.

I also think we should start working on a Damn Big Map, and ideas for how we want it to look, and function.

As far as a working level of playability-Ideally, the nations we come up with ought to be playable against the existing ones. On the same level atleast. No need to re-invent the wheel, we just want to take the wheel into space.

I definitely want to be an active partner in the project, but I'm not going to be the one doing everything, because that's just not realistic of my abilities and time.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 06:42 AM

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
As far as a working level of playability-Ideally, the nations we come up with ought to be playable against the existing ones. On the same level atleast. No need to re-invent the wheel, we just want to take the wheel into space.
I don't think that's a good idea before you have any idea of what the nations will be or how they will work. Even if they happen to be somewhat playable, they'd look very silly if the fights were supposed to take place in space or underwater, and then I'd expect abilities such as flight and perhaps resistances and AoE abilities would also be quite common.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

Darkwind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
I think the first thing to do would be to brainstorm as many nation ideas as possible, and start narrowing them down.

I also think we should start working on a Damn Big Map, and ideas for how we want it to look, and function.

I was going to make this huge post detailing specifics for a bunch of different ideas, but then I realized that basically all one needs to do is mix-and-match stereotypes (Technologically advanced lizards! Warlike bugs! Fast-breeding birds! Fish descended from an ancient galaxy-spanning civilization!) in order to produce ideas. Not all of them will be good, but it's just brainstorming.

Also, I doubt the nations for Dom3k will be comparable with normal nations, since some might have incredible ships but horrible land units while some might have an incredible planetary army but practically no space-faring navy. Using the same basic averages (an average unit has 10 attack, 10 defense, 10 defense, etc.) would be a good idea though.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I'd like to have an active part in development, idea's for the setting and races, mostly developing a race..

but I can't do graphics but if someone with a gift for graphics would work with me I'd love to do my part

I'm doing my part (starship troopers)

PS for the space transport I really think letting the troops have SOME function would be good.. letting them just sit in space might be getting boring (if for some reason the "much stronger" ships etc would target them first then loosing your ship which is firing on the troops might be cost effective.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:30 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Even if the lasers are going to be invisible, you should consider trying to give them some sort of "hit" art, so you can at least tell what they're pointing at...
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

That's perfectly feasible, because flying and hit animations are independent. There are some missile weapons that work like that, like Starspawn mind burn.
Closed Thread