.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 21st, 2009, 02:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why Not Digitial Distribution?

Okay, yeah hadn't thought about that, but given a choice between the latest and greatest and an earlier incarnation, would anyone really want to go backwards?
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

It would be an answer for those who complain loudly about not having DD for Dom3. People overseas or just in a hurry. Particularly if it was offered at a lower price than it was originally sold for.

Or offering purchases of serial keys for those older versions.

I dont know if anything would come of it but at least then we could say "well you CAN get Dom2"
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

why did banned user's post get snipped just at the point where he was going to explain what reality is?
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road

I don't know what he said, but immediately after Carrie Fisher said something to Peter Cushing before he locked her away in the dungeon.
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirizon View Post
why did banned user's post get snipped just at the point where he was going to explain what reality is?
Look at the edit reason of the post, as entered by Ballbarian:

Quote:
Removed the brief "How to Pirate for Dummies" guide.
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:09 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirizon View Post
Because reality would begin to unravel and you might discover that we are all just human batteries that power the internet.

(Or probably what Edi said. He is usually right. )
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:07 PM

Private

getter77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.R. Krol View Post
Okay, yeah hadn't thought about that, but given a choice between the latest and greatest and an earlier incarnation, would anyone really want to go backwards?
Yeah, that was primarily what I meant. Like, I ran into one guy online that had actually heard of Dominions III before due to having owned and played Dominions II. By his reckoning, he preferred II due to feeling III had too many options and thought it might be a better starting point for me to track down a copy of II rather than jump headfirst into III. Of course, by the time he'd mentioned this, I'd already ordered Dom III and Scalywag off of here without so much as touching the demos...but it does give food for thought.

I've seen some spots, even that piracy idiot, cite the high price as a barrier of entry as to just how out there a game Dom III can apparently be. So, if say Dom 1+2, or something, were offered at a cheaper price by the likes of GoG, then they could get an "appetizer" as opposed to a demo "taste" and then perhaps be less dissuaded by the high pricetag and grab Dominions III.

For newcomers, aside from the weird ones like me, they might have a better disposition towards the lot of it by playing the games in the order they existed so as to have a better sense of how far it has come and where it is seemingly heading.

Mainly I was intending to interject an entirely different player, GoG, compared to Steam and the like upon which it can get divisive to the notion of digital distro in general. Had I discovered Shrapnel, Dominions, etc some years back I wouldn't be quite so late to the party that is Dom III---and I reckon it is likely that there are other folk like me out there that have been missing out these past several years. Besides, a new game is a new game to somebody the first time they encounter it when you get right down to it---"age" only becomes relevant after the fact.

Otherwise, it never hurts to have games you already provide a free download for in another place where a prospective audience could come across it unawares and then perhaps find their way here. Can't Google it if you've not seen or heard about it, and there's something to be said to preaching to the choir if the latest and greatest along with the classics doesn't make the rounds in foreign venues to show newcomers what's up.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM

Corporal

Theonlystd is on a distinguished road

I say this every time these threads come up.

But always been bewildered by the lack of digital distribution which would help. Since i've never seen the game advertised anywhere ..

And then when people finally do find it.. They find a game that costs 50,55 dollars and with no digital distrubtion option you are looking at 60 + for a game that doesnt have the production values of other games priced at the same value.

Which has basically turned off everyone i've ever tried to get into the game. And i try with anyone i can at every opportunity .
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I totally believe that to be true.

However the "magic numbers" for changing such things are well known and have been for a long time to anyone who has ever taken a marketing class. What you say would still be true for someone no matter what things are set to. There will always be some that do and some that dont at every level.

Everything has its pros and cons. There are excellent reasons to change. And many reasons why the things are done the way they are done now. Believe me, Shrapnel and Illwinter are not blind to the pros and cons.
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

About playing DOM II: i still play dom2 freqüently in my notebook, even having dom3, as my notebook isn´t powerful enough to run Dom3 satisfactorily, while it plays Dom2 just fine (with minimum graphics), and i´m constantly traveling so i end playing more Dom2 than Dom3 some months...