.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 29th, 2007, 03:46 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nominate the most useless spell here!

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Maybe its the choice of the wording which gives the appearance of trashing the game. I never said that was the intent, just the impression. Intent doesnt mean much if the entire forum seems to paint the game as crap. Try to even it out abit.
Sorry about continuing this line of discussion one post more, but I agree with Sombre in that lately your posts seem to have been arguing against other people's opinions a bit agressively.

Maybe its the choice of the wording which gives the appearance of trashing those voicing out their problems with the game. I never said that was the intent, just the impression. Intent doesnt mean much if the entire forum seems to paint all opposing views as crap. Try to even it out abit.

Old April 29th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

You are probably right. I need an opinionectomy. Its hard to read every post day after day and only moderate.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Lawl @ the new title to this thread.

Btw, still Dragon Master in my book
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:49 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I don't think you need an opinionectomy Gandalf. Far from it, you should still have a right to your opinion even as a moderator. I do think you may have been reading people as being much more negative than they were intending though. It's true that basically, all of us on this forum are fanboys, we all think the game is absolutely fantastic.

The thing is that it's easier and more interesting to discuss things that could be *even* better, and what might benefit from tweaks than it is to reiterate that we like the game. The most minor of flaws are more discussable than merits. It's the same reason why papers are full of bad news even when everyone likes to hear good news - there's more to say about it.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

*shakes his fist at foodstamp's defiance*

Why, blast you, WHY!?!?! You are supposed ... to ... be ... telling ..... us ....... WHY!

Actually, the reason I am so adamant to hear your opinion on why you think DragonMaster is an overlooked spell (besides rule #2, ehem) is because I make good use of it often, and I'm curious to hear another opinion.

=$=
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:37 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Probably because it's too high level, costs too much to cast, is in the wrong path to be useful, has high path requirements, never works out for the AI and only assists in using a spell that even at 3 times the power is still fairly poor.
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Okay, the OP has been updated. A lot of people named spells without giving reasons, and I've listed them separately. I'll keep this going a total of one week. That's one week for people to get in here and add any info they think pertinent or new spells to the list. Phase#2 will start after the week is out.

=$=
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:57 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Very well: Blink can be an annoying spell because if it somehow gets cast, my mage blinks from a nice safe place behind the lines, right into the range of archers or towers, or even worse, into the midst of melee.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

I was going to nominate blink, but I wasn't 100% sure it was completely useless. It comes very early on the research tree and it annoys me to no end when a mage blinks into a dire situation.

Does this spell have any utility later on? The reason I seconded Dragon Master instead of choosing blink is because I was not sure if there was a useful application later on.
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:37 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

I was thinking that perhaps a S1+ melee thug could blink into the mages in the enemy backfield and wreak havoc. But since blink is totally random, you're just as likely to end up somewhere useless. And S1+ melee thugs are not exactly common afaik.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?