BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old April 13th, 2015, 10:28 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default After so many years

For years game and always learn something from this game. I really costs a lot because I do not speak English well. This adds another difficulty is that I am ignorant of military terminology.
One recent thread I learned the difference between fighter bombers and attacks grounds.
Where I can find something where they learn about weapons, ammunition etc?

Now I have two questions:

1) How is called artillery ammunition destroying vehicles and tanks? FH?
2) HE ammo is more powerful cannon artillery assault that hint? And assault guns are more apt to destroy bunkers?

I just know that I know nothing .....
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:38 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: After so many years

I'll give this a try...
First "FH" would normally mean a Field Howitzer/or Towed Artillery.

HE rounds work well against infantry, artillery, trucks and similar vehicles, AA, some SPAA/SPA, some light APC/IFV types. Suppression of these units would also be accomplished with HE rounds, this might include some tanks as well but lighter ones generally speaking.

AP is designed for heavier armor units and hardened positions such as forts. They generally though can be devastating to the units above as well. I personally prefer this against larger concentrations of infantry loses are higher when I can catch them in the open.

On an assault I would prefer artillery with the capability to use both ammo types. AP for where I suspect armor might be providing cover/or over watch for the troops in the trenches. HE for troops with some AP for good measure if I have the resources at hand.

I DO NOT concern myself with the "artillery overload" in an assault the end result is more important to me. That being said, you must balance out your forces, if playing the AI YOU WILL encounter a heavy concentration mines therefore you'll need enough engineering type units to support your assault with enough artillery type units to suppress the enemy forces along your line(s) of advance. The "pivot point" or "balance" is up to you depending on the make-up of your core and support ground forces and expected enemy forces and disposition on the field. I will always consider the terrain in front of my "jumping off point" as well for maneuver and evaluating the places to fire on with my artillery.

In a battle just finished, the Russian AI rushed his armor to a group of victory hexes in a stream bed down a "gully" though my arty and one MBT managed to get most of the tanks, this one T-72B3 was sitting against the hill and was over watching about three of his victory hexes my infantry was fighting hard to prevent his infantry from supporting the tank. I knew my tank would be destroyed if I moved it to a firing position. It took several turns (~10) before my AP arty finally took it out due again to the terrain it was sitting on and around it. I also suffered the loss of an APC, Ammo Carrier and killed 3/4 of an Infantry Squad.

I hope this was somewhat helpful to you.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:02 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: After so many years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Now I have two questions:

1) How is called artillery ammunition destroying vehicles and tanks? FH?
2) HE ammo is more powerful cannon artillery assault that hint? And assault guns are more apt to destroy bunkers?
In the "old" days artillery was pretty much just High Explosive. On rare occasions an artillery round would land in top a tank where the armor is fairly thin and destroy it, or right next to it and blow off a track to damage the engine. If it was a really large round the concussion might shake the tank so badly the crew inside was injured.

These days many nations use Cluster Munitions, these are roughly golf ball size munitions that are packed inside artillery and spread to cover a large area. Some are specifically designed to punch thru the thin top armor on a tank, and since many are carried in each artillery shell there's a good chance a few will actually land on top a tank.

Most bunkers have very heavy reinforcement on their top specifically to keep artillery and bombs from destroying them, but an assault gun or tank hits the front/side/back which will still thick is no where near at thick as the top.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:10 AM

First Lieutenant

Thank you very much Pat. Its application is very useful.
Now I know that when the artillery has ap ammo is killing tanks. I thought that was ap ammo for direct fire.
I also noticed that the ammunition is in heavy artillery, de155mm up.
I've also seen some artillery has HEAT ammunition. That if it is to direct fire?
On the other hand you could tell me if what I say is right?
AP and sabot ammunition are effective against armor.
HE ammunition are effective against soft targets (men and trucks)
I have doubts in the HEAT ammunition are for armor too?
For bunkers in particular that ammunition is best?
Another question that was the question 2 above post: I've seen some assault guns have HE score in that indirect artillery calculator app. Generally most has 1 and assault guns caliber have 2. What does that mean?
I only took into account the score to kill.
Sorry for abuse your kindness and a sustained barrage of questions.
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:27 AM

First Lieutenant

Thank you very much Suhiir.
The cluster munition is also called bombelet? or are they different?
As Pat told me understand that in indirect artillery cluster munitions is represented by ap ammo.
I'm playing with Argentina in 2015 and I use field artillery 155mm Cala30 + FH **. Has HE ammunition to 5 AP. With this artillery I have the option of cluster ammunition and I can kill tanks or armored vehicles.
I also have 155mm field artillery Cala ap 30 FH without ammunition, without ammunition cluster.
The + sign indicates cluster ammunition? Or extra ammo?
Also I have smaller caliber artillery FG.
What is the difference between FH and FG?
Thanks again.
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:52 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

HEAT (High Explosive - Anti Tank) ammo given to either Field Guns or Field Howitzers is, indeed for self defense direct fire. HEAT shells are shaped charge multi-purpose rounds that can be fired at almost anything. (In game terms: has an explosive effect like HE but with reduced area of effect and has a penetration value against armour). In modern terms Gun and Howitzer tends to be used interchangeably - historically Howitzers have short barrels and fire at a higher angle (big mortars).

Yes bomblets and cluster are the same thing (usually a cluster munition is the full shell and a bomblet refers to the sub munitions which come from it).

In the game the Cala+ has some Cluster ammo available which the Cala does not that is all.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:05 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Ooops.. missed one:

Officially, in real life and the game, the best round for use against bunkers would be a HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), what the americans call HEP (High Explosive, Plastic). However this tends to only be available to British rifled guns and variants.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:06 PM

First Lieutenant

Thanks scorpio rocks.
Thank you all I can refine my game.