.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

View Poll Results: How you you feel about the nationalized OOB's ?
I like things just the way they are 40 47.62%
I'd be happier if at least the formation names were in English 22 26.19%
I'd be even happier if the formation names and the unit names were in English 22 26.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 13th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Private

klanx is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Nationalized" OOB's

How about the option to turn it on and off as oppose to having just one or the other.
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Turn what on and off ? The formatiomn/unit names are integral to the OOB. They are not something you turn on and off. They have to be one way or the other they cannot be both

Don
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Corporal

Mobryan is on a distinguished road

I voted for all english, but extensive use of the INFO button might be a better bet- same flavor, less heartburn...

Matt
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Private

Demtrek is on a distinguished road

I like English, I speak English. I dont speak anything else. Everything English gets my vote.

English Good.....

Even if you did change them couldnt you just have two downloads one for english only and one for everything else?
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:45 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road

I love the non english OOBs I was familar with the Hungarian OOb in Hungarian, can we have it back in Hungarian? or is it Maygar?
Best Regards Chuck.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfourth View Post
I love the non english OOBs I was familar with the Hungarian OOb in Hungarian, can we have it back in Hungarian? or is it Maygar?
Best Regards Chuck.

If you'd been PAYING ATTENTION to this thread Chuck you would know that there is an all Hungarian language OOB sitting in the custom OOB folder.

Don
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Sergeant

EJ is on a distinguished road

I feel the same as Gila. He could NOT say it any better....Therefore I voted number 2.
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Corporal

blitzkreig is on a distinguished road

hello!

I voted number one

Just would'nt be the same advancing over the stepe with my German armoured infantry platoon and tanks.

Pz Gren Zug any day!

Having said that I would add the clasue that I have been put of playing the Italians as I didn't know what I was buying. I'd ask for loads more info in the info tab but realise that we be way to much work, so I stick with my vote, leave it be!

"Boot 'em, don't spatter 'em!" - Heinz Guderian

Ian

Old May 17th, 2009, 05:17 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Excuse me for being thick but I do not see how adding stuff to the info button saves clicking through the fprmations you cannot browse to see what you have.

Ex
Click formation click info button thats 2 clicks for each formation.

Click formation click on a unit in it read the unit class in yellow top left, thats 2 clicks to told you its Infantry Paras Armored car or whatever if need be can check morale exp mods across top again in yellow to see if elite or 2nd line

Uses for the info button are usefull info hence possibly the name.
Formation used as such i.e normally allocated 1 per 3 rifle companys between 1/42 to whatever.
Spec forces not normally found fighting alongside regular army.
Rebel forces etc or something unusual.
Listing super rare stuff would be nice like those truck 88s that I have never used
Background info on use or tactics if the OOB designer is so kind as to include. Now this adds flavour to the game you can fight with them with those details fresh in your mind.

Formation name makes no diffrence once the game starts at no point does it say you are moving your Zug across whatever you are moving a group of MkIIIs or whatever which you could call Hanz Dead beats Zug3 CoB or whatever thats in your head like the premise for the battle & forces at your disposal unless you rename them all to something historical like proper call signs. That I can see adding flavour to people that understand them.

If flavour is wanted to be added how about this as a thought
Add a blank entry at the start of the encyclopedia that gives general info on that nation, as per Croatia off the top of my head in MBT

If people were willing to do the research I am sure adding this would not be to hard
Example.
Give some time period specific info on formations & most common units & perhaps which tend to work with which.
So you could say from 1/42-12/43 Panzer Divisions consisted of X number of Companys. Tank, Pz grenadier & had AA & Arty assets integral to the formation.
Armed with this info you could pick your forces with the correct ratio of equipment assuming it is at full strength. Its therefore easy enough to buy any force roughly correctly by keeping the ratios the same. Play with a quarter of it just divide by 4 & now you are ready to go.
To me having this info readily to hand & fighting with an about right force is much more involving than calling a formation whatever simply because it has no bearing on the game whatsoever after you leave the purchase screen. I am strugling to remember what my scouts & AT teams are called the formation name is long gone unless I play them on a regular basis but correct unit names do impart atmosphere & as you are dealing with them each turn so soon pick it up

This also can be used by MBT & modern conflicts notes could be added to
For instance rather than looking up details if a nation has been in a conflict it could be listed in the encyclopedia. Want to play Israel look for conflicts before set it up & there are your dates & protaganists. Vietnam list sides & dates etc, if someone had time on their hands could even include a little synopsis of events.

Sorry got a bit long & this would add to the work load as Don & Andy would have to vet everything. Perhaps adding to Encyclopedia with a button so CD only might persuade a few more people to buy it

As a thought & "easy" fix could use above idea to give translations
Co Platoon Section The type Tank Armored Car etc.
Not ideal for those that want english formations but using this what ever naming format is decided on the translation could be given. So if in English those wanting real names could look them up as deploy or start game. Thats something you cant do now but a translation text in the encyclopedia would let you access it at any time for those that it seems to improve the game. Also helpful for anyone who is more fluent in that language possibly

Last edited by Imp; May 17th, 2009 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: Last thought added
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

I voted 2nd. When I found winSPWW2 I was really confussed by the oobs. I had grown up with SP1 with a comparitiavly small number of formations and units, all in english. It took me a while to get used to the names. I do like the realism the nationalized OOBs give and I don't mind checking out all of the different formations and units I don't know. I use the information button a lot. I may not know how to pronounce the unit's name, but I know this weapon can clean my opponent's clock. My own interest aside, I think that by at least listing the formations in a consistant and standard language it would shorten the learning curve for new players, whether they are fimilar with the SP series or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross
Would it be possible to sort the OOB into:

Companies
Platoons
Sections

Perhaps by separating them with headings. 'Companies' at the top, then scroll a page or two and see 'Platoons'; so people will instantly know what formation they are looking at.
I'm with Cross on this. I think that it would make think a lot easier overall, for everyone, to have the companies, platoons, and sections grouped together. It would shorten search time for formations. It takes me forever to find the right German Mech infantry formations for battles because they all look the same with the expection of 2 to 3 letters. It would also help the learning curve for new players because the OOB would have additional structure beyond just Armour, Infantry, Artillary, and Misc.

Now, with all that said, if my vote swings the change to formations only, I'll take it. If everything stays the same, I won't complain.

Howard Tayer