BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Joe's Games > Air Command 3.0
Notices

Old April 22nd, 2001, 06:30 PM

Private

Gabriel is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for the Future of Air Command

I thought it would be good to start a topic with what players thought about possible future Versions of Air Command. I guess this topic would be something that Joe Jaworski could look at for ideas (if he wants them).

I've already covered some ideas but I will put them in this topic for completion sake.

1) Campaigns: Let's have a system that you could start at a very small airport and if you do well (achieve a high enough score, or other conditions) then you will be offered a job at a larger airport. This will continue until you have been recognised as FAA's Air Traffic Controller of the Year (or something like that)

2) Special Events: Maybe include things like The Presidents Plane is flying through (or even landing) and you must divert traffic until it's done. Maybe the 747 with the Space Shuttle on it. Other events could be airplane emergencies, like low fuel, engine not working, passenger very sick, etc. Just some things that would make you shuffle traffic around in order to put priority to a particular plane.

3) Maybe we could make "No-Fly-Zones" that you wouldn't be allowed to have planes fly through. Suggestions would be "Over the White House" or "Military Training Grounds". In those cases, there are chances that the plane would be shot down.

4) Make weather a consideration. I never use the Doppler Effects, not because they are a pain, but because they don't (in my opinion) add anything to the game. Let's make the weather a consideration by having the storm area affect the flying of the aircraft. Maybe you have to divert the aircraft around particularily bad storm areas. Also, Joe, if you are feeling really adventurous, have the weather areas "morph" so that their shape doesn't stay constant the entire time.

5) I've mentioned the radar sweep before. Let's make this a "Bonus points" option. But, when it is on, the planes, weather, etc. only update on the screen when the sweep goes over them. I can't say that I know what modern radar is like, but from my usage of radar in the navy, the sweep started at the center of the screen and worked around in a 360 degree circle.

I am having a bLast playing AC 3.0 as it is, but it mainly something of a "Beer and Pretzels" game to me, so that I mainly play when I am short on time to play something else. With some of the additions mentioned above, this could really turn into a great game with substance.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? What would be great, also, is if Joe, himself, would comment on the board.
Old May 4th, 2001, 01:35 AM

Private

Default Re: Suggestions for the Future of Air Command

Another thing I thought up Last night. I would like to add flexibility to the editor, allowing us to change the airplane list and pilot sounds. I know that you can do this manually by replacing files, but I would like to have an easy way to change them just for 1 map. That way, I can create a futuristic "Space" traffic control situation (let's say on the moon, or even in a star fleet) and it could be realistic with different sounds other than the prop planes, and "Delta". Then I could play the next game with the normal planes and it would load the sounds automatically.
Old May 5th, 2001, 02:43 AM

Colonel

Strider is on a distinguished road

I have 3 things in mind

1. Agree that weather should have effect on planes...maybe pilots take it on themselves to ask for course change, or some such.

2. Apply more specific speeds to each type of plane...Cessna/Piper/Cheokee type single props (50 - 140 mph) compared to 150+ for heavies...and whatever Lears and Cessna jets have.

3. When changeing altitude, the "foward" movement maybe should be reduced some percentage/factor.

Just some thoughts...
Old May 5th, 2001, 03:27 AM

Private

Drunkard is on a distinguished road

When Joe implements these features, and we all "know" he will, he needs to make sure he adds the ability to turn them on and off at will. Some of these ideas may be great in theory, but not in actual execution. Not that Joe can't make a great game or anything (AC3 RULES!), but I like to be able to make decisions regarding what type of game I want to play. A simple option window with check boxes, or radio buttons, or *be creative* would do nicely.
And, this is off topic but, has anyone played ATC Simulator by Aerosoft? I would like to think that AC3 is much better, but I have no way of knowing because there is no demo at their website (or it's hidden really well). And I can't see myself spending 60 dollars (that can buy a decent quantity of alcohol) on something I can't play first.
Old May 5th, 2001, 03:49 AM

Private

I agree that these options should be "optional". It only makes for a better game, since you can make the game personalized to how you want to play. I never have the doppler effects on, nor the grid sweep. I just wish we could hear from Joe and Shrapnel (with regards to the manual) just so that I would know that they are actually reading our opinions and concerns.
Old May 5th, 2001, 09:22 PM

Private

Drunkard is on a distinguished road

Well, even if NO ONE IS LISTENING, we at least have some place to vent our frustrations. Sigh ...
Old May 5th, 2001, 09:59 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Well I don't know what Joe plans with the future of the game since it his game. One thing to keep in mind is this game is done specifically to be a fun ATC sim that sets it apart from more hard core efforts.

Old May 6th, 2001, 12:59 AM

Colonel

Strider is on a distinguished road

Yep, I agree on makeing anything as options...

I accept/like this ATC type as being fun over a hard-core type...anyone ever taken the ATC test? Fun is much better
Old May 6th, 2001, 03:25 PM

Private

jagyoung is on a distinguished road

Speaking of the ATC testing...

only two words...

Bartlesville Bloodbath

(just think kobiashi maru)
Old May 7th, 2001, 12:26 PM

Private

Joe is on a distinguished road

We're listening and paying attention- it is feedback like this that helps us the most in planning the next Version.

Thanks everyone for their great input!

-Joe