.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 25th, 2016, 08:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road
Default Possible scenario for Afghanistan.

2006, a scratch British Army company of about 85 men, two platoons of Royal Irish Rangers and a platoon of mainly Parachute Regiment soldiers hold an Afghan compound in the village of Musa Qala in Helmand Province against hundreds of Taliban insurgents in a 50 day siege. The British troops had few heavy weapons (two heavy MG's an 81 mm mortar and a couple of light mortars) and their position was surrounded by buildings providing cover for the enemy. They had only very limited air support.

This documentary has the usual TV hyperbole, but is worth a watch and even includes plans of the position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ApxdJP-Uow

Have to say that the end of the battle seems to me to serve as a kind of sad symbol of the whole campaign.

The town was recaptured by British and Afghan forces in late 2007.

Recently the Taliban recaptured Musa Qala from the Afghan Army...

Last edited by IronDuke99; October 25th, 2016 at 11:24 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to IronDuke99 For This Useful Post:
Old October 28th, 2016, 03:05 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Possible scenario for Afghanistan.

Although, I think this story would translate well in our game, however, playing defend against the AI within a fire base or compound is a challenge to produce an interesting fight.

I'm still wondering how to build such a fight. Maybe, if the scenario required the player to deploy the Brits once attacked by the Taliban would be a start.

=====
The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old October 28th, 2016, 10:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Possible scenario for Afghanistan.

If you watch the documentary, and freeze it when the plans of the position are shown, you can see that the 'compound' the British were holding was both fairly large for a company sized force to defend and also surrounded by buildings at a very close range, one or two of which even overlooked the British position.

So the enemy has plenty of cover available and they should also receive regular reinforcements, including at least one large scale reinforcement. The British should only have a very limited amount of air support available.

The Brits on the other hand had better prepared cover, body armour and better night vision, etc.