.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Vietnam Campaign Project
Notices

Old June 14th, 2006, 10:54 PM

Sergeant

Listy is on a distinguished road
Default Here\'s a question

Did we ever get any feed back from Vets who played the game, and what did they think of it?

Also anyone else up for another senario/Campaign?
Old June 17th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Here\'s a question

Hi David,

Currently I am working on another WW2 campaign (ANZAC project).

If you wish you may playtest the BETA.

After completion of this campaign I will resume progress with the Warsaw Uprising and after that I will resume the Vietnam campaign.

But before, we get once more involved with the WinSPMBT Vietnam campaign (or any other SPMBT campaign) we should first wait for the next patch (whenever the developers release it).

Concerning the LZX-ray for sure I will make a revision after the winspmbt patch.

cheers,
Pyros
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Here's a question

Well...I am technically a Nam vet (was a paper shuffler in supply at the time), never left Da Nang except to visit Saigon a couple times.

As to what I think...

Personal opinion !!!!!!!

The USMC learned to deal with gurellia/counter insurgency situation during the "Banana Wars" in the Caribbean during the 1930's. In about 1965 they were implementing their "Combined Action" program. Units made up of both US Marines and Popular Force (PF) personnel. The primary mission of Combined Action (CA) organization is local defense. In this connection, the PF members of the CA unit contribute to the combined effort by their knowledge of the local area, people, customs, government and Viet Cong activities. Marines contribute to the combined effort by training the PF and increasing the PF's combat effectiveness; in artillery, air strikes, or reinforcements if required. Marine personnel are assigned to these units on a semi-permanent basis to permit sustained operations in the a certain area and continued association with a particular group of people.

It was working...

The U.S. Army Army intended to fight an attrition war...attrite insurgent forces faster than the enemy could replace them.

Well, we won nearly every battle, the daily KIA count was on the nightly news, we still lost the war.
Why?
Because Mao, unlike the US Army, understood the battle was for "hearts and minds" not real estate or kill counts.

Vietnam was also used (a LOT) to test and refine weapons (M16's), systems (attack helos), organizations (infantry vs mech unit TO&E), tactics, methods (logistics handling, medivac, etc.).

WinSPMBT is an excellent simulation (more-or-less) of tactical combat. There were a zillion different combination's of weapons-organization-systems that "need" to be included in the game to be able to represent tactical combat in Vietnam.
Pyros is doing so.
And doing a damn good job of it.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein