.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 7th, 2012, 09:51 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Solar Brilliance

My own personal methodology is to answer the parts that I'm sure I know 100% correctly, and then either say nothing else or begin using qualifiers liberally. This works for me. I also have a tendency to do research while I'm posting just to make sure that I actually am right before I say something.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:04 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
My own personal methodology is to answer the parts that I'm sure I know 100% correctly, and then either say nothing else or begin using qualifiers liberally. This works for me. I also have a tendency to do research while I'm posting just to make sure that I actually am right before I say something.
Yeah, I tend to do the same, which is good since I've never been overly concerned with learning all the fine points of game mechanics.

Another thing regarding testing: if an important battle hinges on something you're not certain of you should test it yourself, even if Micah himself said it works a certain way (and if you don't test it then you can only blame yourself if things go wrong).
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:03 PM

First Lieutenant

bbz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
Another thing regarding testing: if an important battle hinges on something you're not certain of you should test it yourself, even if Micah himself said it works a certain way (and if you don't test it then you can only blame yourself if things go wrong).
You are right about that, people should only blame themselves, but in reality we like to and tend to blame others for our mistakes.
Old April 8th, 2012, 02:59 AM

Wendigo_reloaded

Laugh Re: Solar Brilliance

After scanning through the thread I can only say that I stand by my words:

If I were fishing for answers in a forum, I would rather get 3 answers from random internet guys than a single one, because the other 2 have been scared from posting by the hive mind. Then, if I was so invested in the game, I would likely test all of the flashy options offered, and choose the one that gives me better results, and if I didn't, maybe the game is not so important. One way or the other, I would be the one responsible from my actions.

Also, no hard feelings here. I have no interest in scalating the issue, nor getting into any kind of flamewar. Although the hostility from some posters vs someone they do not even know is kind of puzzling. I guess this is the internet after all.

I will finally add that considering yourself a "veteran" of the game, does not give any holy right to pass judgement on when newer players should post or not, in my opinion. Not sure why so many of you seem to defend the undefendable, maybe it's just loyalty to a friend.

Being a veteran doesn't protect you from making mistakes. I might as well be the most ancient player posting nowdays on these forums (apart from Gandalf), and I just made a mistake myself. Should I go chastise myself for it?
Old April 8th, 2012, 03:28 AM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendigo_reloaded View Post
Being a veteran doesn't protect you from making mistakes. I might as well be the most ancient player posting nowdays on these forums (apart from Gandalf), and I just made a mistake myself. Should I go chastise myself for it?
No, not at all. You didn't do anything wrong since you weren't just guessing at an answer and throwing something out there. You thought you knew the answer and figured you'd be helpful and answer the question. Turns out part of your answer was wrong but these things happen. I've spent *way* too much time reading these forums and even very good players will sometimes make mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendigo_reloaded View Post
Besides, your argument is BS. If everybody had to run a test before posting an answer to an information request, the forums would just DIE, because nobody with a life can afford to waste so much time.
You know, one funny thing is Dominions players I think *do* tend to be testing fanatics. As mentioned above, I've never been overly concerned with learning every aspect of game mechanics but even I've spent huge amounts of time running through test scenarios (usually to see if a plan that I've come up with to counter an opponent will work).
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:09 AM

First Lieutenant

parone is an unknown quantity at this point

man, why is everyone gettin' so hostile. you boys take this sh** serious. hey wait, maybe the fact that i don't is why i keep getting pasted...