.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to know the formulas which determine what happens in a game, or do you prefer not to k
I strongly prefer to know the formulas. 33 61.11%
I somewhat prefer to know the formulas. 11 20.37%
I don't have a specific preference. 2 3.70%
I sort of prefer not to know the exact formulas. 5 9.26%
I strongly prefer not to know the exact formulas. 3 5.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 17th, 2004, 09:52 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default (OT) Do you prefer to know game formulas?

When playing a strategy game such as this one, do you prefer to know exactly what the rules, values, and formulas are that determine what happens during play?

Some players prefer to know what the formulas are, often so they can strategize against the game mechanics, and figure out the exact odds of success of failure in certain cases.

Some other players prefer not to know the exact formulas, for various reasons such as so that the mystery and illusion of reality Last longer, and/or so that players can't game the system and skill requires learning from experience how well different things work.

I'm also curious how many players prefer simple formulas to complex formulas for game mechanics. Do you prefer the movement system to be something like Movement = speed, or would you prefer something more like Movement = Inertia + Force(Friction)/(Vehicle.Mass + Crew.Mass + Cargo.Mass + Fuel.Mass) * Behavior(Driver.Skill, Driver.Caution, Traffic.Laws, Traffic.Density) * Terrain Modifiers * Weather Modifiers?

Similarly, some players may prefer to see actual data values for their units, equipment, terrain, and so on, so they can compare and choose the best of a type. Other players may prefer to be given vague and/or inaccurate estimates or descriptions, so there is uncertainty about how things will actually perform.

I'm posting this poll in each of several game forums, to try to get a feel for the opinions of the fans of different game types. If you like, you could take the poll in other games' forums. If you do, please answer what you would prefer for a game like the forum's game (which might or might not affect different people's answers. Someone might like simple game mechanics for one genre, but complex mechanics for another genre.)

PvK
Old December 18th, 2004, 12:54 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (OT) Do you prefer to know game formulas?

I prefer not to have a clue - takes me back to the joyful old days, when I didn't have the faintest idea of whether a heavy crossbow or a wardog was any good, but I have the most vivid memory of opening fire on a hydra in my first ever game of AD&D, back in 80 or so.

Heh. Actually, I prefer to have a good idea of what things are supposed to do though. I mean - I read all the books cover to cover back then, and would lay awake at nights thinking of unconventional ways to use spells or items. Hard to do that if you don't have a good idea of what they're supposed to do. If things had had as ... vague a text description in RPGs as some things do in Dominions, it would have been difficult to rules lawyer my way to success and gory, er, glory.

Then again, in a computer game it's okay to have things a little less cut and dried, as long as you can still determine the deal via a reasonable amount of experimentation. This isn't always true of Dominions 2, in part because of the way the battles are resolved / shown.
Old December 18th, 2004, 01:14 AM

Private

Crash is on a distinguished road

For a game like this, I like some amount of vaguary or randomness thrown into things. It helps preserve the 'flavor' IMO and makes the game a little less like chess.

However, if stuff is too vague, it is hard to figure out what is broken balance wise and what isn't... so I can see the merits to something more concrete.

How's that for a preference

-Crash.
Old December 18th, 2004, 01:26 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Crash said:
However, if stuff is too vague, it is hard to figure out what is broken balance wise and what isn't... so I can see the merits to something more concrete.

Exactly - without some decent amount of concrete information, it's also hard to say what's broken, period. The bugs / glitches in items and spells - for instance, the burning pearl granting full fire immunity when it shouldn't, wouldn't necessarily have been spotted without some level of concrete description.
Old December 18th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

PvK started a similar poll in the SEIV forums and there's been a bit more discussion there, so you might want to check it out.
(OT) Do you prefer to know game formulas?

Poll results are fairly similar though, as I'd expect them to be.
Old December 18th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Corporal

Skolem is on a distinguished road

PvK
could you please explain what you understand by complex, there could be formula that albeit long, are easy to understand because they make sense?
Algebraic geometry seems to have acquired the reputation of being esoteric, exclusive, and very abstract, with adherents who are secretly plotting to take over all the rest of mathematics. In one respect this Last point is accurate. --David Mumford
Old December 18th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I think this has alot to do with MultiPlay vs SoloPlay. The MP people tend to like some variety but only a little bit. Enough to affect a turn but not enough to decide a game. The SP folk are playing against the game itself so larger game-changing events are more acceptable.

I personally would like to see more variance in the formulas but I understand both sides. So what I would like to see in a game is that the formulas all have an random die-roll in every formula, but a game switch of some sort which can run the game with the randoms set from zero to devestating as a choice at game-start.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM

First Lieutenant

Zen is on a distinguished road

Hrm. I'm the type of guy who prefers to have the common information concrete and availiable that doesn't give outrageous advantage to the studied, while the mechanics obscured.

Example: I like to know that my mage can cast Orb Lightning 8 times based on the rules of fatigue before he tuckers out.

I don't like to know that a siege is (str)*.45/Defense (x3.2 Mindless) etc.

I would prefer to have accurate generalities and steer clear of pure formulaic or the *Feeling* of needing to know the existing or unknown formulaic (as some feel the need to do).
Old December 18th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Corporal

Evil Dave is on a distinguished road

I think I'm in the same boat as Zen, but I'd phrase it a little differently. I want rules complex enough to make an interesting game (lots of tactical and strategic choices and plenty of replay value), but not so complex that deep understanding of the rules is the margin of victory.

Have too may pretender files to keep track of? Use catgod to view them.
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

liga is on a distinguished road

I like to know the formulas ... obviously (I'm always asking about that) but I prefer (at least in comouter games) complex dinamic so that knowing the formula is an help but not the solution to the problem.

As an example: I would like to know if the size alter the morale of a squads if the breaking number is 10-15 or 20 ... so probably I'll try to make squads of the right dimension ... but that is not enough to win ... also I lik to know how precision works ... if I know that is something like 2d6 + precision + a factor I like to know how the factor is realted to the distance ... so I know well which is the different between a 25 or a 30 range spell hitting at 10 ... I don't think this knowledge is the key to win the game

... any way ... good play!
Liga