Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default What " throws like a girl" REALLY means

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not your friend"
Old December 23rd, 2014, 09:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What " throws like a girl" REALLY means

Ooooh, that's sexist! The evil guys who uploaded this should be drummed out of the service 'cuz they hate women!

Which reminds me of another reason why SPWW2 is better than SPWAW: In the former version grenades cause casualties; in SPWAW they hardly do more than add suppression.

Merry Christmas everybody!
Old December 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

That girl tripped "like a man" though, head first!
Old December 24th, 2014, 07:53 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I represent that remark!
((Not even))

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:19 PM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

I've heard that is the most dangerous drill in the army. I have couple of friends who got scratches in the face for diving when instructing that particular drill. One of them was a lieutenant sr I think when he was instructing. (LT = my friend, Pr = Private, conscript)

LT: Here's your grenade.
(Pr picks a grenade from the Lt Sr)
LT: Now screw in the detonator.
(Pr does that)
LT: Pull the pin.
(Pr pulls the pin and then throws the grenade from right hand to left hand. The lever flies off the grenade.)
LT: Throw it!
Pr: Huh?
LT: THROW!!!
(Pr throws the grenade, LT grabs him by the head pushing him to the trench just in time all the while landing on top of him for additional safety. Grenade goes off, nobodys hurt.)
LT: PRIVATE WHAT THE F*** WAS THAT ABOUT!?
Pr: Sir, I'm left handed.
LT: ...

Ever since that event he always starts the sequence:
LT: Which hand do you use for throwing?
Pr: Huh?
LT: WHICH HAND DO YOU USE FOR THROWING STUFF?!
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road

Lol. I should not laugh because dangerous situation... But seriously seems to be that in USA army uses "real" nades (I suppose) for practising (no matter if private has ever threw anything in his/her life than baseball) but here in Finland we used only "empty" fake nades which included not no any tnt or any else explosives... At least during my conscript service at 80's.

Warhero
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:21 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

One and only time I threw grenades with the TA, when we were over at Vogelsang camp in 78 or so.

Step one - shout of "CHANGE" - next 2 canditates go to bunker 1 along the trench system that is the grenade range. In bunker 1, pick up 2 grenade bodies, no worries.

Several bangs from the range itself later, CHANGE is called again. Go along the trench to bunker 2.

Bunker 2 is where things start to get "interesting".
Sgt in charge of bunker #2 Tells us that we will be inserting the fuses into our grenades here. Before he instructs us in the technique, he stresses the safety rules.
First he shows us the safety pit up the far side of the bunker. This concrete trap is several metres deep, and has an angled bit to help guide any grenade into it if it becomes necessary to dispose of the thing.
Then he shows us the roof of the bunker, immediately above the catch pit. The roof is pitted with little square holes where grenade fragments have embedded themselves...
He shows us how to screw the fuse in.
"If the grenade starts to issue smoke or hisses when you are in the middle of inserting the fuse, immediately chuck it in the trap and then we all dive against the far wall!".
Apparently, fuses starting themselves off either by themselves or through user fumbling during this insertion process was not an unheard of event!

Mr grenade is no longer my friend - and I haven't even taken the pin out yet!. Me, I had handled 81mm mortar bombs, 25 pounder HE rounds and so on before, but holding these two orbs I was rather nervous. Your artillery ammo has a proper set-back fuse safety system so until it gets the kickback from firing you can bang it off a concrete wall if you were daft enough to want to do so. Grenades have rather less safety built into them.

So before I had even put the fuse in, I had decided that I didn't like these nasty things one little bit.

Several bangs later, CHANGE is called again and we two candidates are out in the throwing range, in an open waiting bay beside the throwing bay. My turn comes up, and I throw my 2 grenades in succession as instructed by the Sgt. in charge (overarm throw, left arm forwards). You were then to stand upright and see where the grenade fell, before ducking behind the parapet when the Sgt. did - really nice!.

The grenade range was in a clearing in a wood, with the trees about 50 yards away from the cleared area. But after each grenade went off, there was a clattering of something through these trees. There was a bit of gravel on the impact area, but as likely as that it was bits of the notched ring shrapnel from the grenade..

The whole process was ... interesting ... in the "Chinese Curse" sense!

One of the later pairs was a platoon mate, and he was paired with a Belgian medic. Vogelsang was run by the Belgians at that time, and there had to be a medic present on grenade drills, and for some reason someone decided that he was to be included in the drills along with us Black Watch since he was there.

Anyway according to him the medic was in a total funk throughout the entire procedure, and his first grenade he launched in a crazy wild flailing throw as he ducks straight behind the parapet and curled up in a ball.

Wait 2 3 4 5. No bang - oops!. Range safety officer calls HOLD for the regulation 5 minutes or whatever. Then the Dutch EOD guy pops over the parapet with a square of C4 and some det cord to blow it in place - it was only a metre in front of the throwing parapet. Why the Dutch were doing EOD in a Belgian run camp hosting a Scottish battalion - the joys of NATO I suppose.

Anyway apparently the Dutch EOD guy ambles up to the grenade, bends over to plant the charge beside it and then just picks up the grenade and unscrews the fuse instead, and brings back the bits. The medic had thrown the bomb down so hard and fast that he had bent the metal flange of the fuse over the undeployed spoon before it had had enough time to fly off!. (He later got a ticking off since that wasn't proper procedure I believe - lines of "Blow the little trucker in place next time!").

Grenades need careful handling.

The Hollywood nonsense of hanging "pineapples" off your webbing by the spoons or worse yet, the rings, is a certain ticket to becoming a suicide bomber. Grenades were to be carried in your ammo pouches, or in a buttoned up pocket or a satchel/gas mask container.

We were advised to widen the split pin a little bit with pliers if we could. It made withdrawing the pin a bit more difficult, but not by much. But it was safer. (BTW even on standard setting the pin requires a pretty decent yank. So the Hollywood "pull the pin out with your teeth" trope is also pure nonsense - that would jut get you an appointment with your dentist).

General consensus was that with hand grenades you should wrap some "Black Nasty" (army issue black gaffer tape) around the body holding down the handle so as to add to the safety factor.

The good thing I got from that drill was two used grenade pins to use as a zippier pull on my issue combat jacket (miles better than the cloth tape loop they came with!).
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:40 PM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhero View Post
Lol. I should not laugh because dangerous situation... But seriously seems to be that in USA army uses "real" nades (I suppose) for practising (no matter if private has ever threw anything in his/her life than baseball) but here in Finland we used only "empty" fake nades which included not no any tnt or any else explosives... At least during my conscript service at 80's.
I served in 1999 and we (Guard Jaeger company) did throw a live one as well. Well, I didn't, because the damn alphabetical order meant I had at least an hour to wait which I used for resting. Somebody woke me up when we were leaving.
Old January 6th, 2015, 07:26 PM

Lieutenant General

About a year after Desert Storm someone in my chain of command decided my time with the grunts (and training with them prior to the invasion) made me the resident expert on grenades so I got assigned to be Range NCO, the person that actually runs a live fire range, there's an officer of course but they're ONLY the Range Safety Officer, for a grenade range.

The unit I was with at the time wasn't all that large, around 150 people and most of them wouldn't be there as they had other things to do. Ok, I think to myself, couple-three crates of frags, I can do this.

I find out who the Safety Officer is gonna be (he was an OK guy), make sure we have a Corpsman (medic) and Range Control (the guys that actually own the live fire ranges) and EOD know we're gonna be out there. I do not check on the actual grenades themselves, not my job/concern till they actually arrive at the range.

I show up early and walk/inspect the range to familiarize myself with it. Then around 30 people show up to toss grenades. Cool, this should be easy.
And then ... an entire Duce-an-a-half full of crates of grenades shows up ... WTF ... there are at least 1000 of the damn things!!! (I forget the exact number, but I did have to account for each and every one of them)

I don't know about the military in your various nations but in the USMC once you draw live ammo from the dump you NEVER EVER bring it back, it's yours, period!

Needless to say after running thru the proper procedure once, and everyone got to toss their two grenades, I bent every rule almost to the breaking point to get rid of the damn things.

I had a team hauling crates of frags and fuses to an area where another team was screwing in fuses (never heard of ours having issues with going off when the fuse is screwed in) then individual runners hauled a crate of armed grenades to a position just behind each actual throwing pit, no bunker, just a sandbagged hole in the ground with a platform in the middle surrounded by a trench. There they tossed them, already fused, one at a time, to the pit NCO who handed them to whoever was in the pit at the moment to throw one.

Needless to say by the time we were finished everyone had tossed far, far, FAR, more grenades then they ever expected or wanted to,

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old January 7th, 2015, 03:15 AM

Lieutenant General

Now that I think of it I still use the pin from the first grenade I threw in Boot Camp as a keyring. Works like a charm.