.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:15 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Curse...

Quote:
Originally posted by Endoperez:

Johan O., what did you mean with the following:
"If you want an ad hoc argument you might consider that the will of the fates is unmoveable, as King Oedipus might have told you"?
I meant it was a spur of the moment argument, devised for defending the unremovabilty of the curse, an argument that was not the original reason but constructed to shore up my position, not the original reason for the state of affairs.

Fate is often depicted in mythology as being immutable, no matter how you strive against it, the Fates is a name often used for the Godesses of fate. Oedipus is a Theban king in a greek tragedy that fate decrees is to kill his father and marry his mother. His father tries to get rid of him in order to avoid his fate but in the end Oedipus commits both acts. The same kind of depiction of the inevetabilty of fate is common in norse and greek mythology. Other greek characters that succumb to the fate of killing their fathers or grandfathers are Persues and Theseus.

[ October 02, 2003, 16:20: Message edited by: johan osterman ]
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:42 PM

BANNED USER

Aristoteles is on a distinguished road

Ok, so we won't have a spell or something, what will remove curse?!?!??!
This is very annoying if you ask me.
Why? Becase it is easy to abuse this damned curse. We need some protection against it!

[ October 02, 2003, 16:42: Message edited by: Aristoteles ]
Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:20 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Protection is for sissies
Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:23 PM

BANNED USER

Aristoteles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
Nice thoughts from an Illwinter developer...This made lot of sense indeed.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:24 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:26 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Aristoteles:
quote:
Nice thoughts from an Illwinter developer...This made lot of sense indeed.
ROFL!

BTW I would like to see some "anti-curse spells". I really missed those.

[ October 02, 2003, 17:27: Message edited by: MStavros ]
Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:55 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does this mean Dominions is now officaly a Grognard game?

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 07:35 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerfix:
quote:
Does this mean Dominions is now officaly a Grognard game?

I hope so.

Curses and fate are two different things, both in mythology and in the game.

I have a cursed hero/prophet who has a few afflictions but is continuing to smear foes with near-impunity thanks to his skills and equipment. I am working on seeing if I can create the Chalice so I can heal his afflictions. Seems to me that being able to cure most afflictions in one way or another is a reasonable countermeasure to a curse.

On the other hand, I agree that it'd be nice and reasonable if a wish could remove a curse, since a curse is the will of some sour-hearted mortal, rather than Fate. The price is nicely excessive, too, so it doesn't remove the interestingness of the status quo that curses are easy to apply but difficult to remove.

It is pretty nasty how easy it is to apply a curse - the range and accuracy are very high, and there are items like that nasty voodoo shield, or the annoying cursed weapons which foolish heroes pick up and get stuck with.

Personally, I would probably reduce the range and accuracy of curse attacks compared to Dom I, and maybe have different types and/or strengths of curse, with some difficult or costly ways to remove them, or at least, the weak ones.

However one of the things I like most about Dominions is that there are so many diverse game systems (such as abilities and afflictions) which operate independently, and therefore don't have direct counters which can erase them. Also I really do like the mortality risk and detailed afflictions down to the individual militiamen. Perhaps my favorite aspect of the game, versus the computer anyway, is to follow the fates of my elite minions, and try to keep them alive and powerful, and it's often really interesting, comical, and difficult to do.

One great example just happened to me. Another arena competition for a powerful magic item occurred, which I had never been able to win, as it is pretty difficult to have a competitor who can defeat all of the opposition. In this case I knew one competitor would be Ermorian, no doubt a summoner of undead. I didn't want to see any of my best men die, and was looking for an expendable volunteer to try my luck, when I saw Henric the Priest, who had been cursed somehow without my noticing, even though he had only seen one or two battles. I figured at least if he died (which seemed almost certain), I wouldn't have to be annoyed by a cursed priest, and he might get lucky and banish some foul Emorian from the world. He was also in the same province as several heroes with lots of magical equipment, so I loaded him up with a full suit of armor, and a jar containing an elemental. To my complete surprise, he won the tournament! He lucked out and only faced the Ermorian at the end, after the Ermorian had wiped out everyone else. Henric managed to banish the undead, while the elemental went over and (barely) wiped out the Ermorian summoner! However, the ironic twist was that he was given a magic weapon as a trophy, but it's cursed so that he won't let go of it! So now I have a powerful magic weapon as my prize, but I have to have Henric the cursed novice priest wield it! Laugh! Actually, with a bunch of other magic equipment, he may be pretty formidable, and it'll certainly be amusing to see how the rest of his story turns out!

PvK
Old October 2nd, 2003, 07:47 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

I, at least, am not very opposed to curses being removable by wishes. The cost of wish is very prohibitive and in a multiplayer game there are bound to be ways to better spend 100 astral games. I guess if you mainly single play and more or less roleplay your commanders the wish as a remove curse might be desirable, but to me the wish as a remove curse is so expensive as to make it almost pointless to implement it, which is also why I wouldnt mind seing it implemented, since it is debatable if anyone ever would use it that way in a multuplayer game.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 07:49 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

So...
You can't remove curses with Wish in Dominions I...
Hello, it's 100 Astral gems!

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.