This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Ibology > Approaching Infinity

Old November 15th, 2014, 08:08 PM

Corporal

ExplorerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts on oxygen?

This could be just me, but it seems like the only thing oxygen really does right now is slow down the game. I hate having to constantly go back to the shuttle, so much that I normally pick up "Virology" as my first skill so that I can at least explore Terran planets without wasting too much time. As you get better equipment, this ceases to be as much of a problem, but it's a real nuisance in the early game when the oxygen limit itself (rather than terrain or monsters) is the source of most of your trouble.

Am I just whining, or is this an actual problem?
Old November 15th, 2014, 09:30 PM

First Lieutenant

ibol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thoughts on oxygen

You are not the first person to complain about oxygen

I will say it's working exactly as designed, and if you're not able to fully explore planets in the beginning, that's good (IMHO). It works as a sense of tension and a motivator on a lot of levels.

It also undergoes what I refer to as a "phase change" over the course of the game. in the beginning, oxygen is super important. then you get better suits, and maybe it's your HP, or environmental damage that are your biggest concern. Then you discover deep caves, and oxygen's right back in there.

There are devices that effect oxygen, and plenty of stuff to balance it out. You're playing 7 sectors. The actual game is infinite!

So, I feel your pain, but think of the big picture: survive, press on, and planets will open up to you. you will forget all about that one planet in sector 2 you couldn't quite get, because you'll be knee deep in shipwrecks, temples, and caves, not to mention Dunwiigu Evangelists, Limoquee capital ships, and all the race quests...
Old November 16th, 2014, 02:37 AM

Corporal

Cyberis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thoughts on oxygen

I agree that oxygen presents a challenge, especially since my style of play is to fully investigate and explore everything. But it does provide a certain motivation to improve one's equipment and it also makes one think about contingencies like having to battle monsters when you will barely be able to make it to the ship as it is. I've killed off quite a few red shirts who got diseased or asphyxiated on their way back to the shuttle.

Overall I'm glad that it is there though it does make deep cave exploring a little tricky even with the oxy pickups in the caves.

If I can't program it then I will kill it. If I can kill it I will eat it.