winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Question Re Red, Blue and Green OOBs

I was wondering does anybody actually use these generic OOBS at all?

They were set up do those who wanted to could say, roll thier own army for WW2 with a bit of mobhacking.

But if nobody ever has used them then they may be more useful for other things.

Like Blue-> special DAK subset of German OOB for Desert+Tunisia
Green -> ?

(Red is I think useful for Balkan groups versus each other already. Serbs vs Chetniks)

Andy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question Re Red, Blue and Green OOBs

Andy,

I'm not certain, but I don't specifically recall anyone using the generic OOB.

Is the idea to free up some of the German OOB (which have about 990 out of 1000 used) or just to add a German North Africa OOB?

I guess the DAK would be similar to the USMC who have their own OOB. Sounds like a good idea.

As for 'Green', I know a few New Zealanders and Australians who would love to have their own OOB. Even if the OOB were almost identical, it's more a matter of national identity.

Cross

Last edited by Cross; March 6th, 2011 at 08:40 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cross For This Useful Post:
Old March 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
Andy,

I'm not certain, but I don't specifically recall anyone using the generic OOB.

Is the idea to free up some of the German OOB (which have about 990 out of 1000 used) or just to add a German North Africa OOB?

I guess the DAK would be similar to the USMC who have their own OOB. Sounds like a good idea.

As for 'Green', I know a few New Zealanders and Australians who would love to have their own OOB. Even if the OOB were almost identical, it's more a matter of national identity.

Cross
The idea of a DAK OOB is not to free up German OOB units, but to give a completely new sub-OOB (one could then add the elite Italian forces associated with them perhaps - ARIETE division and so forth, with better base stats).

Germany would be difficult to untangle, so the base OOB would be left alone - e.g. for those who want to progress after the DAK goes into the bag at Tunisia.

ANZAC is a small enough OOB and scenario set, that the Kiwis could be split off (Existing scenarios, AI pick list, extracting the batlocs from the existing ANZAC mixture). Oz could remain as the same OOB ID, renamed and re-flagged.

South Africa might be a worthwhile addition, too. None of the other Commonwealth countries really need splitting off as they are too small, and can remain subsumed in the UK or Indian OOBs.

Bolivia and Paraguay 30-35 might be worth incorporating (this is an outside chance!) - but they did fight for 5 years in the Chaco war. There were even 3 Vickers 6 ton tanks used there.

Brazil, Portugal and so on - those who did send some troops to aid the Allies in Italy in the last few months, probably do not justify their own OOBs. if required, then they can be as scenarios using the USA OOB as usually re-equipped with Allied weaponry. I am not really sure if these nation's expeditionary forces justify the hassle of maintaining a full OOB.

Mongolia did have its own forces - but they acted as an adjunct of the Red army. Probably can remain subsumed in same.

Same goes for the various Chinese warlords - the Nationalist China OOB does for them really.

Ethiopia/Abyssinia is probably worth an addition as they fought the Italians for quite a while though.

Denmark is another not worth doing as an OOB - they capitulated (sensibly) with no significant fighting. Any OOB for them would really be a "what if".

Red will be left as-is to cover the various Balkan nations (including Albania).

The various little Baltic countries like Latvia, Estonia and so on really only provided auxiliary troops to major players, so not worth their own OOBs.

I cannot really think of any nations that actually participated in WW2, or fought a 'real' war 1930-46 that we have missed. But someone out there may know of a real conflict that we have not covered in that time frame?.

"What if" nations are a different case, but I am not really interested in those. So no "what if Eire joined with the Axis" or "What if Hitler invaded Switzerland" stuff.

Cheers
Andy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Bolivia and Paraguay 30-35 might be worth incorporating (this is an outside chance!) - but they did fight for 5 years in the Chaco war. There were even 3 Vickers 6 ton tanks used there.
Wow... three tanks

OK.. how many people actually play infantry heavy games ?? ( seriously. if you like to PBEM or solo mainly infantry.. let us know )

HOW MANY PEOPLE BOTHER WITH SPANISH CIVIL WAR BATTLES ?? I'll bet less than 2% of the players have bothered and, IMHO the only thing adding Bolivia and Paraguay to the game would give us is bragging rights to say we are the only wargame ever to do so.

My 2 cents.

Don
Old March 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Wow... three tanks

OK.. how many people actually play infantry heavy games ?? ( seriously. if you like to PBEM or solo mainly infantry.. let us know )

HOW MANY PEOPLE BOTHER WITH SPANISH CIVIL WAR BATTLES ?? I'll bet less than 2% of the players have bothered and, IMHO the only thing adding Bolivia and Paraguay to the game would give us is bragging rights to say we are the only wargame ever to do so.

My 2 cents.

Don
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter - I had never heard of that not so little war till I was browsing wackypedia the other day. So I just chucked in as a debating point.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Sergeant

Sgt_Walrus is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys
Thanks as always for your great work.

Sometimes when creating PBEM tournaments, and some one off battle, Green and Red can be very handy for having a 'neutral' flag, as such, that you can then add to with the Allies button. Sometime we set up using these Flags so we can have an unlimited choice from all OOB with no 'nation' being set as the start point.

To be fair, it is quite occasional, and I don't think I have ver used "Blue" for anything in PBEM.

As for NZ splitting off from the ANZAC OOB...Hurrah!
I would back that 100%
Maybe you could incorporate the Fijian Brigade into the NZ OOB as it was operational from Guadalcanal time as scouting force in the Pacific, mostly with NZ, Brit and Aussi officers.
Obviously then you could have the Maori Battalion represented separately as well, which would be excellent.

Obviously there were many more similarities than real differences in the OOBs, and ANZAC has been an excellent way to deal with it up to this point...but a NZ OOB by itself would be quite special.
If you could spare the tie and hassle...I would surely use it often :-)

Cheers lads!
Jason
The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt_Walrus For This Useful Post:
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:24 AM

Corporal

Warwick is on a distinguished road

HOW MANY PEOPLE BOTHER WITH SPANISH CIVIL WAR BATTLES
Me, I've played all the Civil War scenarios in the game and will play more if somebody writes more.

Regards,
Warwick
The Following User Says Thank You to Warwick For This Useful Post:
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:19 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK fair enough, but I wasn't really focusing on scenarios but rather on regular generated battles and PBEM

Don
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM

Corporal

halstein is on a distinguished road

Hi.
I play Spanish Civil War from time to time.
Halstein.
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It's good to know at least a few players do

Don