.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 2nd, 2012, 04:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steam Greenlight

Oh seriously. They might turn CoE3 down very easily even if it was free. While the game is not THAT bad, the terrible UI (and actually fairly plain graphics) make it seem quite crappy.

When it comes to Dominions 3, I would definitely not see it as a $50/50€ game and would definitely turn it down if the developer insists on that price. It's a fairly hard to access indie strategy game with fairly plain graphics. Does not matter whose fault it is, but the market for such probably just does not have enough demand at $50, especially when it would be sold next to all the AAA titles at the same price.

Of course Valve most definitely has a better clue than I do when it comes to demand curves of digital download games.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:35 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Did you look at some of the games on there? If I remember that Transformers game is more than Dom3 and it seems like its just an eye-candy item

IN any case, whether Steam goes for it or not I would think that at least the various splintered communities would agree that telling Steam they should try to add Illwinter is something we all should think about doing. I thought that the big noise of the cry-stupid crowd was that Steam wasnt carrying the game? Now it comes down to something we can do.

But I should stop replying. Like I said I really dont care if Steam carries it or not.
I want Amazon to.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

The question is if there is any real possibility of getting Dom3 on steam? If valve decided they want to distribute Dom3, could they do that without Shrapnels consent?

I will push for CoE3 going steam if it paves the way for Dom3, otherwise I don't see the point.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

In the past couple of months I've noticed a lot of indie games appearing on GOG. Seems like that could be a good outlet for IW games. Steam undoubtedly has a larger audience but GOG may have a more targeted audience with a tolerance for non-cutting edge graphics.

But I don't know that I've ever seen a game over $30 on GOG. So price could be an issue there just as it might be on Steam. It's not that I don't think Dom3 is worth it - I clearly do and my cost/hour played is the lowest of any game I've ever purchased. One of Dom3's strengths is that if it is the type of game you enjoy* it has tremendous replay value. But many (most?) people view the $50 price point as being one limited to AAA games. And it's tough to argue with a AAA title that combines nice graphics with solid gameplay. But many fall down on the second part of the equation. Personally, I don't care how much was spent on development or how nice the graphics are - if the gameplay isn't good then the game isn't worth much to me.

*Because people have different tastes I really recommend they try the demo before buying Dom3.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:19 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

I always thought the price of dom3 was set by shrapnel not illwinter. That probably means they have all kinds of contractual agreements about that. And knowing shrapnel, NDA's.

(I'll not start the rant about NDA's again ).
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old September 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

I'm expect you're right about Shrapnel having considerable input in setting the price but I notice CoE is $30, which is at the high end of the prices on Desura (there were some comments to this effect) and indie games in general. So it seems to me that is what IW considers a fair price point for their games.

But after that I start making some assumptions: namely that IW would view Dom3 as a more complex game that involved more effort to create than CoE and should therefore be priced higher (even considering it has been out for several years). So maybe it would be priced at $40 as a download? Too many assumptions, I guess. For all I know IW would price it at $30 just like CoE. Still at the high end of indie games but not an insignificant difference from current pricing.

Then I guess the question is, have enough potential players been put off by the current price that would give it a try at around $30?

Of course another option is the "Steam special" super discounted price but I haven't seen any indication IW would go that low on the price (they did have a considerable discount on CoE a couple of months that brought close to $20 but nothing like <$10).

It's pretty interesting watching the trends in computer gaming these days. On the one hand, digital distribution is a great opportunity for smaller developers to not have to fight for shelf space. OTOH there seems to be a consistent downward trend in prices along with new models (I think they're new anyway) like free to play (not a fan of that one at all).
Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

Admiral_Aorta is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
In the past couple of months I've noticed a lot of indie games appearing on GOG. Seems like that could be a good outlet for IW games. Steam undoubtedly has a larger audience but GOG may have a more targeted audience with a tolerance for non-cutting edge graphics.
Dom3 would count as an old game anyway, they have games of a similar age on there.

This Machine Kills Fascists
Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Aorta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
Dom3 would count as an old game anyway, they have games of a similar age on there.
They have new release-date games too.
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Corporal

Kref is on a distinguished road

Well, I've started a new thread, but there is this is already.
Illwinter maybe "a dog on a hay", according to one russian proverb, but community needs the development of dominions anyway. I think it is possible to form a community on steam, to attract the attention to dominions gamestyle. Valve is a strong company searching for ideas, it can either buy out the entire title or make a similar one, wuth somewhat better grapnics. I am thankfull to makers and publishers of current dominions, but I need the development, including lesser micromanagement when it is stupid, and better AI. Show must go on even if someones whant to freeze it for decades.
Old October 25th, 2012, 02:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Hmmm OK. Illwinter made it to Steam. Conquest of Elysium 3 is there (and instantly on sale). We will see how well that works out.

But apparently there is a problem with the MP part. I open one copy as a server, then open another copy as a client so I can play in my own game. But apparently Steam doesnt allow that. Anyone have any suggestions?

And Im guessing Steam would have the same problem with Dom3.