.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:50 AM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Themes

Thanks for the info. Sounds really cool.

So Pythium will have a special commander under one theme, and Ulm will have a random pick mage… what about Man? Can you give us any details about what special themes will be available to Man?
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:59 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Man will have Last of Tuatha. Maybe the Illwinter crew/ betatesters should tell us more about that theme...
The they could tell about Diabolic Faith, Carrion Woods, Helgård and Midgård and Living Ermor and...

[ September 22, 2003, 05:59: Message edited by: Nerfix ]

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:20 AM

Major

hmm…Last of the Tuatha?

Comments, Illwinter developers?
Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:09 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:

BTW, did you make any maps? I can help you finish half finished maps if you like.
nope. Mainly because of a new born child and a changing job environment

But dont worry. I do what I say, and my Elric map is the example of this. Starting with mid october, I will have one less worry, so more time for dominions map making.

I will at least make one map for dominions II, a map I have in mind since I play doms I : Beleriand and the Wars of Morgoth (for those who dont know, it is Tolkien's first Age, the Age where Balrogs were counted by dozens). A huge and impressive work, and at the time of doms one I felt that the game was too much lacking in scenario support, thus my numerous questions toward you asking for added scripting possibilities.

Now that we are at this, do you plan to add renforcements as a script command in a patch, one day? all we need is that the #commander and #units command accept an additional parameter, that is the number of turn the force is created. That would ask for more coding in the binary, sure. Generally speaking, do you plan to improve the scripting langage after the game is released? I know you added multi provinces victory conditions, but thats IMO not enough to do complex scenarios.

Also several problems remains, for example adding a fortress and independants, will lead to indeps being inside. So in essence you give freely to the player the exterior, and a single scout can besiege the fortress.

I know that some other players indulge themselves in mapmaking. If you consider adding additional commands in the script language, then we can perhaps suggest what we would need the most?
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:44 AM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

here is some info about Midgard: In this theme the power of the Vanir has dwindled and human influence has increased. You lose the Boars, Valkyrjar, Dwarven Smith and Vanadrott. But you gain the Völva (a human seeress with Astral 2) and the Galderman (a versatile mage with Air 2 and two random magic skills).

Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:05 AM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollo:
here is some info about Midgard: In this theme the power of the Vanir has dwindled and human influence has increased. You lose the Boars, Valkyrjar, Dwarven Smith and Vanadrott. But you gain the Völva (a human seeress with Astral 2) and the Galderman (a versatile mage with Air 2 and two random magic skills).

Rollo
For those of you that have played dom 1, the vanadrott is a souped up Vanjarl (Drott=king or royalty in old swedish/norse) only recruitable for the standard Vanheim theme.

The Helgard theme is a more death oritented Vanheim where the Vanadrott is replaced by the Hangadrott (after one of Odens attributes as the lorde of hanged men), the valkyries get a small boost and the dwarfs are replaced by more sinister dwarfs, there might be more differences I dont recall.

Last of the Tuatha is a theme for Vanheim where Man lose wardens, crones and a few other troops and get Sidhe, Cu Sidhe, Sidhe Lord and Tuatha instead. The Sidhe and Tuatha are quite similar to vanir.

[ September 22, 2003, 10:09: Message edited by: johan osterman ]
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:32 PM

Major

Sounds cool. thanks for the info
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:35 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Okay, now could you tell us about Diabolic Faith, Restless Worshippers and Carrion Woods?

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:42 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:

Now that we are at this, do you plan to add renforcements as a script command in a patch, one day? all we need is that the #commander and #units command accept an additional parameter, that is the number of turn the force is created. That would ask for more coding in the binary, sure. Generally speaking, do you plan to improve the scripting langage after the game is released? I know you added multi provinces victory conditions, but thats IMO not enough to do complex scenarios.

Also several problems remains, for example adding a fortress and independants, will lead to indeps being inside. So in essence you give freely to the player the exterior, and a single scout can besiege the fortress.

I know that some other players indulge themselves in mapmaking. If you consider adding additional commands in the script language, then we can perhaps suggest what we would need the most?
The problem with triggers is that the mapfile is not used after the initial setup of the world. The triggers must be included in the fatherland file somehow. This is not yet done, but I like the idea as well. This is one of the more probable addons in upcoming patches. I'm currently working on a map that will probably not be included in the release of the game. Time is short and the map is extraordinary. I have some scenario ideas for this map.

Indep fort defense is a problem. Hmm, got an idea.

Send in suggestions regarding scripting. They might very well be included now or in an upcoming patch.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:39 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

ok, will send. Thanks for listening to our endless list of complaints