This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Corporal

Enigma is on a distinguished road
Default Combat and Movement Points

Does combat consume a movement point in addition to the movement point it takes to move into a sector.

I am attempting to concentrate my fleet against a slightly faster force. They are going to be jumping through one of my warp points next turn. If I sacrifice a ship at the warp point and force them into combat, that would allow me to move my main fleet onto the warp point and destroy the enemy. This only works if the combat consumes a movement point in addition to the one it takes to move into the Sector. Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Combat and Movement Points

To my knwoledge, combat only costs extra mps when you're already in the sector. When you move into a sector and initiate combat, it only costs the one mp it takes to move into the sector.

But is your fleet in the same system as the enemy ships or on the opposite side of the wp, in the system that's about to be attacked?
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:50 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Correct. If you are in a sector with enemy forces, and attack them, that does cost 1 movement point. However, if you move into the sector containing the enemy forces, it only costs you the one move.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

The only way that will work is if your sacrificial ship manages to damage one of the enemies engines, or if they expend enough supply in combat to run out before they get to where they are going. A fleet moving at a speed of 6 can move 6 sectors during one simultaneous turn and engage in combat in all six sectors.

There is one other way, but it's not something you have control over so it won't help you in this situation. If the enemy has orders to seek after your ship, or a planet, and the target they are seeking after can manage to survive an entire 30 combat rounds, they will use another movement point in a second (or third, etc) round of combat trying to kill the target.
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Corporal

Thanks I will have to look at it a different way then.

I was hoping it would cost them 1 MP to warp AND 1 MP to engage my ship. As it stands now though I think I will still be able to engage. They will warp on Day 16 (speed 11) my fleet will move into their sector on Day 17 (speed 10). So that should trigger combat.

What happens if two fleets move into the same sector on the same day who is the defender and fires first?
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:18 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road

Set your sacrificial ship to ram. That way, your ship will hopefully slam into one of the opposing ships, heavily damaging it. By the time that person can take it out of the fleet and send it home, another turn will pass.

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Enigma said:
Thanks I will have to look at it a different way then.

I was hoping it would cost them 1 MP to warp AND 1 MP to engage my ship. As it stands now though I think I will still be able to engage. They will warp on Day 16 (speed 11) my fleet will move into their sector on Day 17 (speed 10). So that should trigger combat.

What happens if two fleets move into the same sector on the same day who is the defender and fires first?
If both fleets are moving, you'll start in the corner you moved from.
When you start at a distance, the first side to fire is the first one to race into weapons range.
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Corporal

I have seen some situations with larger fleets(100 ships on each side) where they enter the hex at the same time and end up all intermingled. This was not a Warp Point assault but two fleets maneuvering in a system. In that situation the guy who fires first has a real advantage.

I think this is because my opponent is using a formation that does not have enough slots so his ships start all mingled in with mine.