.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old October 15th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Private

Ryukenden is on a distinguished road
Default Edit hero names

Getting to the point: How does one edit the names of the "heroes" of different nations?

Also, where can one find the images for all of the Dominions 2 units?
Old October 15th, 2005, 04:35 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Edit hero names

I'm not sure how editing the names can be done. I think using adding one name to an empty name list and giving the hero that name list would do it, but that seems like a rather ineffective way to do it...

I don't think there is a list of all units anywhere, in fact I suggested compiling a database of unit graphics earlier this week. However, I know how to extract them from the game and, if you don't need too many, can send them to you.
Old October 16th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Edi is on a distinguished road

If you're talking about the names of the unit types, such as Blood Marshal, Hero, Ancient Shaman etc, you can change those by modding the unit and using the #name <insert name here> command.

If you're talking about the actual name of the individual unit, such as Burkhard Nachtzehrer, Raterik or Kabti'ili (to go with ones that fit the abovementioned unit types), you can't. That's because the national hero units are spawned differently than recruited commanders, and part of that spawning process is name assignment according to unit ID number. You would need a patch to the game to change them.

There are some units (Master of the Games for Pythium, Knight of the Stone for Man and Member of the Third Tier for BF Ulm) that are semi-unique, meaning that you can have only one of them at a time, but if they get killed, you can get another one of the same type later on. The semi-unique units have randomly assigned names.

For graphics, see what Endoperez said.

Edi
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:

There are some units (Master of the Games for Pythium, Knight of the Stone for Man and Member of the Third Tier for BF Ulm) that are semi-unique, meaning that you can have only one of them at a time, but if they get killed, you can get another one of the same type later on. The semi-unique units have randomly assigned names.

Edi
Thatīs not correct. You can have multiple masters of the games or Knights of the Stone. Itīs even possible to get more than 13 Knights of the Stone, despite what the flavor text says.
The member of the Third Tier is the odd one here, he gets random names, but appears to be unique.
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:13 PM

Private

Ryukenden is on a distinguished road

Thanks for answering my questions
(I'd say a month is a wee bit on the late side to give gratitude, but I don't go online as much nor as long as I used to)

Oh yeah, and I'd be very appreciative to recieve unit graphics (or the method in which they can be extracted...which sounds like it may be a wee bit complicated) from you, Endo (as many as you'd prefer to send).
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Sergeant

Olive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:
I don't think there is a list of all units anywhere, in fact I suggested compiling a database of unit graphics earlier this week. However, I know how to extract them from the game and, if you don't need too many, can send them to you.
Hi, how do you extract graphics ? I'm trying to make a mod, but I found out I don't have the skills to draw sprites from scratch .
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

The Method of Extracting Graphics is quite complicated, so I'll try to finish the guide I made screenshots for (a long time ago).
EDIT: It seems I already completed it, long time ago! I hope I have posted it earlier... I'll start a new thread for it.

SECOND EDIT:
I read the (original) first sentence again, and didn't know what it meant. What I tried to say with it:
Drawing graphics is hard. However, after a few times you get a hang for it. Especially if you have a something to base your unit on, you can do pretty good job. With so small resolution, and the units that aren't generally viewed from up close, your units might fit in surprisingly well.