.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old September 11th, 2005, 03:04 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Map Files

The Crater province is going to get a slight rework in the future. That's because the Doom Horror causes one bad event per turn to happen, and any barbarian etc invasions simply get added to the garrison. After a while it gets quite big. That's why it's broken now.

The province does have very thematic scripted sites, and those are not going to be changed, but it is also a "Many Sites" province and a waste to boot, so...

Don't know when Kaljamaha will fix it, though.

Edi
Old September 11th, 2005, 07:29 PM

Private

Kaljamaha is on a distinguished road
Default Heavenfire Crater

Well, as Edi mentioned, I never intended for the crater province to be defended by a horde. It was supposed to have single horror, be the center of desolation so to speak. However, the idiotic Doom Horror caused a multitude of bad events which added to the garrison. For some reason, if barbarians show up in one of your provinces, they attack it, but if they show up in a neutral one, they join the party? Go figure. This is fixed in the new map files I posted in this thread, just above the post containing the picture.

Second, the crater is a waste province, and also tagged as many sites, which should give it +50% site frequency, or at least +30%, in case the multiple terrain types don't stack (haven't tested this). Even if you're playing with 20% sites and non-stacking, you should find on an average two sites there, and with 40% sites and stacking probabilities the average rises to 3.6 sites. So if you only found one site there, you got extremely unlucky.

Lastly, Heavenfire Crater is a cursed place. It is not supposed to be a nice, or even average place. It is place of despair, of horror and madness. That said, I'm not dead set against adding something worthwhile there, just try out the fixed map file first.

K.
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Map: Loemendor

Kaljamaha,
You can put pretty anything horrible in your crater province, *except* a Doom Horror ..
What about some Harvester of Sorrows ? Pretty thematic, and AFAIK it wouldn't magnet hordes of monsters ..
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Heavenfire Crater

Quote:
Kaljamaha said:
Second, the crater is a waste province, and also tagged as many sites, which should give it +50% site frequency, or at least +30%, in case the multiple terrain types don't stack (haven't tested this).

MAGIC SITE FREQUENCY
Kristoffer O posted 03 April, 2004 10:46
Not sure of the exact numbers.
(I'm not sure of the specifics. Waste might be 30, swamp and mountain 20. 'just a guess.)
I guess it works like this:
Magic: (site freq) + 30
Waste: (site freq) + 20
Swamp: (site freq) + 20
Mountain: (site freq) + 10
Forest: (site freq) + 10
Farm: (site freq) - 20
Only the most beneficial counts.
If site: Check what site. Random.
If site not possible: Reroll.
If site unique and already in the game: Reroll.
If site possible and rare: Reroll once.
Many nature sites are common but restricted to forests etc.
Unique sites are also rare or common. Inkpot end is unique and common. Crown of Darkness is rare.
No blood under water IIRC. Not sure about unholy.

As you can see, a "many sites" province is only marginally better than waste, if at all.
If you want to make it a really special prov, add a pre-placed site.
With random sites, you could -and would most likely- something totally unfitting anyway.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road

The map is really nice and I enjoy playing on it.

Some suggestions for improvement though:

1) Could you tag all preplaced sites with #knownfeature instead of #feature?(apart from the forgotten fortress of course) This way people who know how to read .map files donīt get rewarded compared to people who canīt be bothered to do that.

2) Some preplaced sites wield really lousy rewards for the strength of their guardians. Prime example is Arandor(72)
Killing 20 knights of avalon and two very effective mages(along with dozens of elite bodyguards) for a site that only lets you scry is a really bad deal.
The heavenfire crater is obviously another bad province.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:52 PM

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure, but I quess all provinces with special defenders are tagged as having more magical sites than common provinces (+30% bonus, the most beneficial one)
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:54 PM

I'm not sure, but I quess all provinces with special defenders are tagged as having more magical sites than common provinces (+30% bonus, the most beneficial one). That is better than waste, and those provinces should be quite rich, too...
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:53 AM

Private

Kaljamaha is on a distinguished road
Default Special Provinces

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

On the issue of the special provinces: I created them based how things are in my own homebrew fantasy world. So, thematics totally trumped balance when I designed the special provinces. Also, I play SP almost exclusively, with strong independents, very hard research and few (usually 25%) sites, so that obviously gives me a different perspective. And I'm mostly a sandbox type player.

That said, I fully understand that in this game, you expect to get a reward if you defeat some tough defenders.

Whether or not the pre-placed sites should be pre-discovered or not, I really don't have that big of an opinion. I originally set them as #features because I thought it would be neat for players to first fight the special defenders, and then "discover" the site they were guarding, in the same manner sites are usually discovered, instead of it just being "congratulations, you beat the guardians, now here's your prize". But as I said, I don't have any strong opinions either way (though I would have hoped for people playing, at least for the first time, to not have peeked in the .map file).

As to whether the guardians in each special province are of appropriate strength, I fully admit they were done on a... I don't know what the word in English is ("mutu tuntuma" for you Finnish types)... on intuition, if you will. The types of guardians of each place are, as mentioned above, thematically appropriate (though the Harvester of Sorrows idea for Heavenfire Crater is good). The numbers can very well be changed. When I designed them, I didn't want the special provinces to be so good that players would immediately rush to capture them. That's why I mostly stayed away from sites that let you recruit mages. My vision was for them to be more like somewhat beefier defenders for a guaranteed site, or other goodies. Thus the suggestion for 7+ indie strength. I did test the defenders of each site before I released the map, against a "standard army", which resulted in lowering the strength in some provinces. So you can imagine they were quite tough to begin with.

Another consideration towards the reward part is that some places with special defenders are also of great strategic value, Arandor being the prime example. If you want to travel from the Old Road to King's Road, unless you go through Arandor, you'll be in for a long trek.

And finally, apparently the "many sites" tag doesn't stack with underlying terrain. Well... crap. I remember reading sometime ago on this forum that multiple terrain types stack with regards to population and resources, so I thought it would be the same for site frequency. This might prompt some change, I'll have to think about it.

*reads through own post*

It seems I have some trouble communicating my thoughts today. Summa summarum, I am very much interested in hearing how people view the special defenders, if they are too tough or too wimpy for the province they guard, considering both sites and strategic importance.

K.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Special Provinces

"mutu tuntunma" might be translated into "quesstimation".

Have you given any provinces special #poptype instead of special prescripted defenders? The troglodytes could work as most monstrous creatures, amazons might work in some cases, etc. I think you could add extra defenders in addition to the normal defenders by using the #land or #setland that DIDN'T overwrite the original settings.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:52 PM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Special Provinces

Judging from my tests of mapmaking, the #poptype command only affects the type of recruitable units available at a province, but not its initial independent defenders...

Thus it is difficult to strengthen the defense of independent provinces independently from the independent setting, especially not in a random way, i.e. I wish that there would be a map-command to say that the random independent force is to be set at global independent strength +/- something.

EDIT-PS: Of course, while setting the poptype one can set defenders manually as well, but randomness would help to allow oneself to enjoy one's own maps.