Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old June 21st, 2013, 11:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Arl44

From wiki:

Quote:
The hull glacis plate is 120 mm thick[1] and reclined at about 45°, giving a line-of-sight thickness in the horizontal plane of about 170 mm. This made the ARL 44 the most heavily armoured French tank until the Leclerc.
And IIRC the frontal turret armor was about 110mm. That means that ARL should have frontal values of 17 in hull and 11 in turret, instead of 11 and 8 respectively. Note that these tweaks are only about the front armor values, the side and rear armor values in game are accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post:
Old June 21st, 2013, 04:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Arl44

I've put this on the list to check

Don
Old June 23rd, 2013, 03:50 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Arl44

A "new" tank no matter the era always gets my attention. That being said there always seems to be the "but" factor as I look into these things and how it might affect other issues. So no surprise that the ARL 44/CHAR 44 seems to fall into this catagory. I have to agree with the armor issue presented, as with the PANTHER the ARL 44 frontal armor of 120mm did benefit in it's 45 degree frontal arc to give it the protection if you will of 170mm in frontal armor. Refs. 1&2 support the 120mm claim along with some French sites, game and blogs that also mention the increased frontal arc increase to 170mm. Those numbers have been consistent across the board, however I know you have hardcopy resources on hand as well. But here's what I've found date wise, first dealing with the ARL 44, the first two refs cover this in greater detail then all the others I've found though many "mentioned " it.
ARL 44... To be brief , the ARL 44 suffered from two key issues one it was originally designed to accomidiate a high velocity 75mm. Though the armor levels were comparible to many of the era the French realized the 75mm wouldn't be so the decision was made to upgrade to the 90mm DCA45. So the gun decision lead to turret ones and the resulting delays with only sixty tanks built. Many tanks were actually available as early as 1946 but, due to the delays mentioned it would not get fielded until 1949 and was pulled from service (More on this below.) by 1953. Recommend the following date change: FRANCE/ARL 44/UNIT 427/Date Change to JAN 1949 - DEC 1953 Vice JAN 1947 - DEC 1954//.
http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor...p?armor_id=531
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ope/arl-44.htm.

So what changed? Well the U.S. and the Cold War. Under the Military Aid Program we sent the M47 PATTON on a tour of Europe and other countries to fight communism. France would recieve 856 of these tanks the end result was the operational death of the ARL 44 and the cancellation of the AMX-50. The M47 (I'd have to recheck.) would be given to the European countries at low or no cost to build up the armor forces facing the Soviet threat. The USA was in transition to the M48 PATTON around/during this time. At issue again are dates this time with the French M47 PATTON. Though [b]MANY[b] sources claim the M47 was in operational in France in 1953, I have to go with the below book which is considered one of the best on the PATTON series tanks. So I believe yes they were in France by 1953 but with French troops training in them and not yet fielded. So with that in mind, I recommend the following date change: FRANCE/M47 PATTON & M47 BOUTEUR/START Date Change to JAN 1954 vice JAN 1955// The end dates I accept on faith. It should be noted that France was the first country to use the M47 PATTON in combat during the Suez Canal crisis of 1956 by the 8th Regiment Dragon. The French would replace the M47 PATTON with the AMX-30. Also based on consistant info I recommend though I understand the game status, FRANCE/DELETE/AMX-50/UNIT 428//. LECLERC with improved vision is coming and possible changes to the AMX-30 it might need a new weapon added after I reverify the French tank type.
Refer to page 15 of the below book. Again it is considered on of the better sources on the PATTON tank.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/141987286/...8-Patton-Tanks

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; June 23rd, 2013 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: AMX-50 info.
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Arl44

My apologies for not catching this sooner as the "EDIT Clock" was running out on me to get the AMX-50 DELETE recommendation in. The following has been corrected from the last Post tord as follows: FRANCE/M47 PATTON & M47 BOUTEUR/
UNITS 18 & 587/START Date Change to JAN 1954 vice JAN 1955.//
. The French UNIT 19 is unaffected due to its later start date for upgrades to the French M47 PATTON. Sorry for any inconvience.

Regards,
Pat