.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HeatvsCold - started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplosternum View Post
Is this one over? Both Caelum and Jotun staled last turn and Jotun the turn before that.

Not sure the game as a contest is quite over. You still have a lead in gems collected, research and many of your armies are still unfort even if we have a big territorial and income advantage now.

But if most of you are not actually playing anymore shall we call it at this stage...?
hmmm, wasn't aware the niefel(not jotun) staled twice now but well, been talking with Frozen Lama(Caelum) and it seems like we'll concede this 1 to you guys. we chose the wrong strategy, going more for the long term instead of the short term, and perhaps relying too much on the map to halt your advance a bit. so yeah, 3 rainbows vs 2 bless rushers isn't a pretty site...

still haven't seen/heard from Trumanator(niefel) so I'm not ending it just now, but if you say he staled twice than he'll probably agree...
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road

yeah, Cold team has conceded the game to the Hot team, congratulations.
game was too short, due to our strategic miscalculation, but from this short time, what do you guys think? is the whole hot vs cold format interesting? is there any potential to pursue on it, perhaps a different age, different settings, etc?
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road

Sorry about the stale. i had assumed we were conceeding.

Basically team cold outthought us from the get-go. we'd planned for a lot of lategame, and the blessrush kicked our butts. don't i remember lanka saying that he wanted to try playing lanka without a bless? lol.

I think the format is cool, and if we'd been smarter, the game is pretty well balanced overall nationwise.
Old April 10th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hoplosternum is on a distinguished road

I said I wasn't experienced with a bless rush not that I wan't going to rush And indeed this is my first one, if it counts as such. And as my Bless was only a single + minors rather than double or tripple bless my scales are OK, although I do have an imprisoned Pretender. So I was looking forward to a good end game. I even had growth scales And it was late for a rush. We didn't start fighting until in to the second year.

Those palankashas did much better than I expected Even with a fire bless I expected the Skinshifters to be much tougher to take down than they were. But in all the battles I outnumbered them with Palankashas by at least 2 to 1 and usually much more which I think was key. Equal numbers or at least closer to equal numbers would have made a big difference.

As usual I completely misread the game I knew we needed blesses (at least myself and probably Abysia) while all your nations could live without one or get bye with just minor blesses. And you all had recruitable Thugs / SCs while only I really had those (Raksharaja's if you consider them to be such). To me that gave you a huge advantage of either going for early reserach (for Thug equipment and buffs for your Thugs/SCs) or to have awake SCs for quick expansion and if Wrym's to nick the underwater provinces. We couldn't really follow either of those strategies (except C'Tis). My bless - which I don't think is an especially good one for Lanka usually - was specifically designed to help neutralise your Thug/SC advantage.

Interesting game. But I think the map was a little too small in the end. It would have been better if we all had more space. This game was unlikely to go on for long whatever happened. Even without an early rush the first big battles would have settled it as we were all so close and there would have been little opportunity to trade space for time.
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

C'tis was made for lategame, but to be survivable early, with, as you might have guessed, a rainbow master lich.

As an after action, My corner was cramped, and I had no where really to go, except into the water, which was fine, except I was supposed to be takihng 2 lands at a time the last 4-5 turns of year one, but the provinces weren't there. But, anyhow, I wanted to suck some water pronvinces down, and I had the right setup for that. And then I had typical C'tis skelispam in the heat if I needed to defend myself, but I never saw combat.
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:48 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Really sorry for all those stales I ran into a perfect storm of big papers due Friday and ROTC literally all day Saturday. I should have asked BG for an extension on friday, but just forgot about it in the madness. Basically FL said it though, the hot team out-thought us and really exploited an early game advantage that we couldn't really counter.
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

I do want to say, great game Trumanator. I believe you were 'my opponent.' Too bad you staled, but it looks like whatever limited military conflict the two of us might have had would have been unimportant. As it was my plans went mostly off without a hitch, I was just a little smallish, but with water!

I thought I would ressurect this after some thought, with a review of whether or not this setup is workable. I think this was a fine game. We were prepared for a rush by the Cold team, and only I really had a late game design... of course the awake god and bad scales aren't great, but Abysia wasn't all that rushish as it might have been either. But the nations we had were just kind of like that.

Anyway, I think that there is always room for this type of game. One of the telling factors, I would say, is that we played it, essentially, twice. It must have been pretty good.