.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new concept for MP

I was talking about 'who' is a powerful nation *not merely blood... if you were replying to me.
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:39 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
No, the skratti upkeep exploit was patched.
Aha, good to know.
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hoplosternum is on a distinguished road

Death is a pretty nice school too and Helheim is good there. Fire is a counter to death. But most things have counters and it's not that great as to neutralise death completely. Fire protection objects are forgeable by Helheim and Vanheim.

EA Vanheim is fairly weak, especially in the company of Mictlan, Lanka etc. It is not really a great bless nation, very capital dependent mage wise and no real go to unit or commander. It's an OK all rounder but adds little to the team IMHO. I would replace them with Fomoria who are strong in air and death. Or Tir if you don't want another giant nation.

The cold team are very none Astral though. I don't think Ulm fits as they are more fire than W or A. Maybe Maverni could be added? Not really cold either but do have the Wild/Barbarian theme of the rest. And they do get water magic on some druids. And the druids give astral to cover that weakness. Maverni are likely to do better in a team game where they have others to fend off rushes.

I would keep Himmon out of it. Mictlan & Lanka are likely to give the hot team a quick enough start and open up plenty of Thug/SC options without making it too easy for them. I am not a fan of Abysia especially in EA and MA but they do fit. Kalisa and C'Tis are both good nations, especially with the two blood powerhouses to protect them early.

Mictlan, Lanka, C'tis & Kalisa vs Niefel, Helheim, Caelum & Fomoria/Tir or Marverni would be an interesting match up I think.
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road

well, the problem is that neither Fomoria nor Marverni nor TNN have any cold preference. Ulm apparently has cold1 preference which is why I added it to the cold teams... I agree that EA Vanheim is pretty mediocre, MA is much better thanks to both Vans(good choice for bless) and Skinshifters(good choice for non bless) but I think the Mage roster remained the same, so still not that great...

yeah, the Astral thing is 1 of those balance issues that I was worried about in this concept, but outside of ditching it altogether I don't see a way to give both teams Astral access, as the Cold team seems to lack it altogether.

anyway, so much talk in here, yet nobody yet volunteered to actually try it out
as I said, this trial game will be for a 3v3, which is why the hot team will be limited to either Mictlan or Lanka along with Abysia(just too thematic to give up) and either C'tis or Kailasa, while the cold team will have Niefelheim, Caelum and either Helheim, Vanheim or Ulm(most likely Helheim). for balance sake it might as well be Lanka, Abysia and C'tis vs Caelum, Niefelheim and Helheim, that way nobody really has strong Astral access, just a little for Abysia and C'tis, and the Cold team will have other things going for it.

so with that in mind, anybody wishes to volunteer so we can finally get this game rolling?
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lackGu4rd View Post
anyway, so much talk in here, yet nobody yet volunteered to actually try it out
As happens so often. Such absolutely known truths flying around.

IMHO Just choose one and set up your game. If anyone says the winner is "obvious" then let them join and show it. It rarely happens. Especially in team games which are too few. A team that plays as a team can beat pretty much any loose rabble. And some nations that are frowned on have abilities that only shine in team play.
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM

First Lieutenant

well, this was supposed to be a setup for a MP game, with me being the admin and all that... but before I put it on llamaserver, as llamabeast suggested in his FAQ, I'm trying to get players interested first... so, to clarify:

Heat vs Cold game
era: early
team game: 3v3- Heat team has Abysia, chooses either Mictlan or Lanka and either C'tis or Kailasa. Cold team has Niefelheim and Caelum, with either Helheim, Vanheim or Ulm.
Map: The Small Divide, with fixed starting positions(not sure how to do it myself but it shouldn't be too hard).
mods: CBM1.6
diplomacy: should be straight forward, being a 3v3 game...
anything else you guys need to know?

if you wish to join please sign up with just Heat or Cold preference, no specific nations yet. once I see who our players are I'll try to put the puzzle together in the most balanced way I find, at least on paper...
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

How would the hosting schedule be? I'd be interested if it's a bit slower paced. I always like to say things like the flame shall cleanse you or I'm cold ... so cold when I'm dying, but only seldomly get the chance, so Heat, preferably Abysia.
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Perhaps a separate game thread?
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:20 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated One View Post
How would the hosting schedule be? I'd be interested if it's a bit slower paced. I always like to say things like the flame shall cleanse you or I'm cold ... so cold when I'm dying, but only seldomly get the chance, so Heat, preferably Abysia.
as far as hosting schedule goes, the early turns will be as fast as we get all the turns in, no need to stretch them as there's not much to do that early in any game... afterward it'll be more relaxed, basic 24 hours or so but extensions won't be a problem. when the majority feels we should switch to 36/48 hour schedule we'll do that, no point predetermining it in m opinion.

and Trumanator, I might as well do that if I see that the current thread doesn't get the game going, give it a little longer though
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:23 AM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

I suggested a new thread because it makes organization far easier. If this is going to be a recruitment thread though me and Frozenlama would like to join the cold team.