.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old November 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAR: Mersa Brega, North Africa

Turn 18

One Tiger traded shots with two Shermans on North slope of hill 30-1 with no effect on either side. Two Tigers on top of hill engaged and destroyed one Lee I tank and suppressed infantry. Engineers moved forward and cleared some mines. Enemy infantry and artillery engaged the engineers with some effect. Artillery continuing to hit enemy positions on hill 30-1.

Tigers moved onto East edge of hill 30-2 crested. From there, they engaged and destroyed one Lee tank on hill 30-1.

Paras assaulted and destroyed remaining Lee I tank in LZ. They are turning out to be more effective against enemy tanks than expect. So far, they have destroyed four.

Maneuever Force has halted for the moment until the mines are cleared on hill 30-1 and the Shermans dealt with. The overall enemy dispostions are much different than expected.

Enemy artillery targeting one ATG of Overwatch Force. Still, it's not having any effect.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 10 casualties.

Enemy: Three Lee I tanks destroyed, estimated 5 casualties.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM

Captain

Turn 19

Tiger engaged and destroyed two Sherman tanks on North slope of hill 30-1. One Sherman remains. Engineers have cleared more of the mines. Enemy infantry on top of hill are withdrawing, but were only seen in platoon strength. Two Tigers on top of hill have pulled back. Artillery from both sides continued to fall on top of hill, inflicting casualties on both sides. Several engineers are withdrawing also.

Tigers on hill 30-2 have engaged and destroyed one Lee I tank on South slope of hill 30-1. Artillery hit and immobilized another Lee on the South slope.

Paras have destroyed another Lee I tank behind hill 30-1. They also sighted and engaged a 6pdr ATG. Artillery dropped on gun as it was near an enemy tank. This force has done much more than was expected.

Maneuver Force is still at a halt. They will have to begin moving next turn or risk being a target for enemy artillery.

All overwatch ATGs are being moved forward.

Casualties

Enemy: Two Lee I and two Sherman tanks destroyed, estimated 10 casualties.

Last edited by RERomine; November 20th, 2008 at 03:41 PM..
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM

Captain

Turn 20

Some engineers started pushing forward supported by Tigers on top of hill 30-1. Tiger on North side maneuvering against last Sherman. Infantry seen on back side of hill by paras engaged there. Artillery continuing to hit both sides. Enemy hit harder this time.

Took a chance with the Tigers on hill 30-2 and engaged one of the 6pdr ATGs behind hill. ATG was destroyed. Farther back, a 40mm Bofors was spotted by a scout. Artillery was plotted on that target.

Paras destroyed 6pdr ATG behind hill 30-1 and continued pushing Southwest.

Maneuver Force is started moving again. It should be able to link up with Para force by turn 25.

Casualties

Enemy: Two 6pdr ATGs destroyed, estimated 10 casualties.
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Captain

Turn 21

Tiger and Sherman on North side of hill 30-1 traded shots at 250m to no effect. Sherman came uncomfortably close to going through the front armor of the Tiger. Tanks from Maneuver Force are deploying to assist. All enemy units on top of hill have withdrawn to rear slope. Scouts have found mines on the back side of the hill. Artillery is still continuing to fall. Several engineers turned and ran again. A large gap has been cleared through the mines. Tigers on top of hill engaged and destroyed one Lee I tank on rear slope.

Tigers on hill 30-2 engaged and destroyed Lee I tank on South slope of hill 30-1. Scout is moving forward to try to locate remaining 6pdr ATG behind hill. The gun destroyed a scout earlier. It's location is "known", but the gun isn't visible. Artillery is continuing to hit the location of the 6pdr and bracketed the Bofors behind the hill.

The paras destroyed yet another Lee I tank. They are starting to turn South to move toward the G2/G3 victory hex groups.

At this point, I'm considering moving the Maneuver force over the top of hill 30-1, rather than along the North slope. The Sherman tank there would be a major threat to the infantry loaded tracks. Crossing the top of the hill would also shave a turn or two off of the time required to link up with the Para Force.

Casualties

Enemy: Two Lee I tanks destroyed, estimated 10 casualties.
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:41 PM

Captain

Turn 22

Tiger and Sherman continued to exchange fire until two PzKw IVgs took out the Sherman at 500m from the flank. Maneuver Force moving around North slope of hill 30-1 because of heavy enemy artillery on hill top. Recon tracks blundered into the sights of an enemy Lee and two were destroyed. Tigers on hill top destroyed one Lee and one 6pdr ATG. Enemy behind hill in company strength. Friendly artillery hit their positions. The mines on the rear slope of 30-1 seem to be in the form of a line, so engineers are advancing to investigate. Moderate casaulties on both sides.

Tigers on hill 30-2 held their position when scouts found mines on the Eastern each of the top of the hill. A second Bofors was sighted. Artillery plotted on same, while earlier plots hits the first Bofors.

Elements of the Para Force are heading South toward the Bofors, while others are heading Southwest to assist in dealing with the infantry on the rear of hill 30-1. ATG engaged group heading Southwest. Fire was returned. Casualties on both sides.

Casualties

Friendly: Two SdKfz 250/10 recon tracks destroyed, estimated 25 casualties.

Enemy: One Lee I and one Sherman I tanks destroyed, one 6pdr ATG destroyed, estimated 20 casualties.
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Captain

Turn 23

Heavy fighting on hill 30-1. Troops approaching objective G1 from East, North and West. Enemy putting up a stiff fight with small arms and artillery. PzKw IVg immobilized on North slope of hill. Tigers engaged and destroyed two more Lee I tanks on rear slope. Engineers seem to break as fast as they can be rallied. Some are approaching secondary mine field on rear of hill. Panicked enemy troops are running into these minefields. A breach needs to be made quickly in the mines so the Maneuver Force can break into the open. I'm considering moving this force to the left of the Para Force, rather than the right to swing clear of the mines that seem to be along their original route. The edge of the map will guard their flank.

Tigers on hill 30-2 received some incoming mortar fire and moved slightly forward to clear the impact zone, but not too close to the mines detected on the Eastern edge. No targets to engage at this time.

Paras pushing toward objective G1 from the East, while others are starting to engage Bofors from the North. These Bofors are approximately 1200m NNE of objectives G2 and G3. Units pushing West destroyed 6pdr ATG.

Casualties

Friendly: Two SdKfz 250/10 recon tracks destroyed, estimated 15 casualties.

Enemy: Two Lee I tanks destroyed, one 6pdr ATG destroyed, estimated 15 casualties.

Last edited by RERomine; November 20th, 2008 at 06:39 PM..
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Captain

Turn 24

Enemy defenses around objective G1 on Southeast corner of hill 30-1 are crumbling. Except for a platoon just West of G1, all other enemy forces are routed or retreating. Enemy artillery is continuing on North slope, so Maneuver force is moving over the top. They will be late linking up with the Para Force, but the paras have effectively linked up with the Breach Force. A small opening has been cleared through the second mine field, but the area needs to be check further before the Maneuver Force proceeds through.

Turns out the Tigers on hill 30-2 aren't alone! Two enemy infantry sections are positioned on the South edge of the top. The Tigers were repositioning to see if they could get a better overwatch position for objectives G2 and G3 when the infantry opened up at 100m. If they hadn't been so trigger happy, they might have bagged one. As it is, the Tigers had nothing better to do than engage the infantry. A couple of AAA tracks tagging along with the Tigers joined in. Smoke dischargers were popped to screen the left flank of the tanks while they deal infantry threat. At this time, the enemy infantry is still in good order.

Paras are continuing to push West to G1 and South toward the Bofors. The group heading West destroyed another Lee tank. I think that was their eighth! The force heading South destroyed one of the two Bofors sighted.

Screen print of action near G1 on Southeast corner of hill 30-1 is attached.

Casualties

Enemy: One Lee I tank destroyed, one 40mm Bofors destroyed, estimated 20 casualties.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Objective G1 - Turn 25.zip (179.1 KB, 185 views)
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:51 PM

Captain

Turn 25

There are mines all over the place around objective G1 and the enemy is showing me where they are as they run. Several additional enemy sections seen around G1 and were taken under fire. Engineers widened the breach through the secondary minefield. The Maneuver Force will start passing through next turn. Enemy artillery on hill 30-1 has lightened up some.

Tigers and SPAA units continued to engage enemy infantry on hill 30-2. Another enemy infantry section was detected while one of the original ones was destroyed.

Paras engaged and destroyed a 6pdr ATG near objective G1 while approaching from the East. Other elements continuing to push South. Artillery caused the crew of the remaining Bofors to run. These were engaged and reduced in size by a nearby scout.

Overall, resistence is beginning to get lighter. Lifted friendly artillery to allow for resupply.

Casualties

Enemy: One 6pdr ATG destroyed, estimated 30 casualties.

Last edited by RERomine; November 20th, 2008 at 10:55 PM..
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:42 PM

Captain

Turn 26

Circle closing on enemy infantry around objective G1. All infantry routed or retreating. The last Lee I tank on hill 30-1 was assaulted and destroyed by engineers.

Tigers and SPAAs destroyed last two enemy infantry sections on hill 30-2. Scout searching East of hill spotted a gun crew, but doesn't see a gun. It is possible this crew is from the 6pdr that destroyed a scout earlier. By destroying the crew, the gun becomes useless.

Paras engaging infantry West of G1 and Bofors to their South. A thir one was found, but abandoned after receiving a great deal of small arms fire.

On a small plateau Southeast of objective G1, three enemy 6pdr ATGs opened up in three different directions. One fired at a Tiger on 30-1, another Northeast at the advancing paras and the last engaged and destroyed one of the SPAAs on hill 30-2. Paras engaged one and inflicted some casualties.

Two enemy Sherman II tanks seen approaching the paras from the Southeast, distance 500m. The way the paras have handled tanks, I'm not really worried.

Casualties

Friendly: One SdKfz 251/17 destroyed, estimated 10 casualties.

Enemy: One Lee I tank destroyed, estimated 35 casualties.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:13 AM

Captain

Turn 27

Only one enemy infantry section near objective G1. It was getting hammered from all sides. Tiger engaged and destroyed one 6pdr ATG of battery Southeast of G1. Tigers from hill 30-2 engaged and suppressed another. Paras from the Northeast engaged and destroyed the third. Two flags turned on objective G1.

Now 3-4 Sherman II tanks are seen approaching the paras from the Southeast. The paras have forming up on the blind side of the slope to try to ambush them as they come through.

Scout found and destroyed the "hidden" 6pdr ATG.

Three Lee I tanks have been seen North of objectives G2 and G3 heading North to G1. One was destroyed by a Tiger on 30-1. A total of six empty emplacements are seen around the G2/G3 area, so there might be three tanks yet unseen. One infantry section is also moving out with them.

Tigers are moving into position on the East edge of hill 30-1 to engage them. Care must be taken because mines are everywhere.

Maneuver Force passing through gap in secondary minefield. Enemy artillery dropped about 150m North of the column.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero

Enemy: One Lee I tank destroyed, three 6pdr ATGs destroyed, estimated 10 casualties.

Last edited by RERomine; November 21st, 2008 at 12:15 AM..